Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lower Lakes SA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lex, I went back through the thread looking for details on the clutch and found none. Can you tell us about it please?

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia east coast
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lex, I would also appreciate it if you posted photos here rather than links to photobucket.

    Photobucket wants permission to execute 15 Javascript programs from 15 different Web sites and after allowing all the ones that I think are OK I'm left with a pile from ad companies, data miners and others I frankly have no clue about. I'm not going to give them permission to run and I can't get the Photobucket pictures to display by permitting a subset to run.

    So.... call me paranoid but I won't access pictures posted on Photobucket if it requires that many different Javascript programs to work (and frankly it's not important enough for me to try too hard). I am interested in your electric clutch setup though.

    PDW

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Riddells Creek
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Lex, I would also appreciate it if you posted photos here rather than links to photobucket.

    Photobucket wants permission to execute 15 Javascript programs from 15 different Web sites and after allowing all the ones that I think are OK I'm left with a pile from ad companies, data miners and others I frankly have no clue about. I'm not going to give them permission to run and I can't get the Photobucket pictures to display by permitting a subset to run.

    So.... call me paranoid but I won't access pictures posted on Photobucket if it requires that many different Javascript programs to work (and frankly it's not important enough for me to try too hard). I am interested in your electric clutch setup though.

    PDW
    Is this a problem for anyone else?

    This is the only way that I know to post pictures on a forum and is the preferred method of posting on other forums that I use.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Age
    64
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techo1 View Post
    Is this a problem for anyone else?

    This is the only way that I know to post pictures on a forum and is the preferred method of posting on other forums that I use.
    Not a problem for me, but I understand PDW's concerns about dodgy javascript..

    Click on the image icon, and select "from computer" instead of url. select the files you want, you can do multiple files at the same time.. Click upload. The images will appear in thumbnail size in the body of the message
    then when someone wants a closer look they click the thumbnail to open the image in a lightbox.

    As a demo..
    DSC00774_zps250661b6.jpg

    Hope that helps..

    Very interested in following your progress with the SG, looks good.

    Ray

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techo1 View Post
    Is this a problem for anyone else?

    This is the only way that I know to post pictures on a forum and is the preferred method of posting on other forums that I use.
    I also feel the same way as PDW and what is more I have removed Java from my computer altogether following advice from AVG (I think it was). Java is becoming outdated, considered very buggy and a security risk.

    Dean

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Riddells Creek
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I find the thumbnail pictures a pain to view, having to open each one and waiting for it to appear. If it is OK with the moderators I will continue to use Photobucket.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia east coast
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techo1 View Post
    I find the thumbnail pictures a pain to view, having to open each one and waiting for it to appear. If it is OK with the moderators I will continue to use Photobucket.
    Whatever. It's not important enough to me to try to convince you otherwise and I'm certainly not going to enable Javascript running on sites I don't recognise (or do recognise and don't want to provide with information).

    Be aware though, that if you ever remove photos from Photobucket or delete your account, threads like this become pretty useless. There are a number of old threads on Practical Machinist that have broken links to photos that were hosted on external sites, severely reducing the value of the information posted.

    PDW

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techo1 View Post
    I find the thumbnail pictures a pain to view, having to open each one and waiting for it to appear. If it is OK with the moderators I will continue to use Photobucket.
    That is one point of view. Personally, having a slow satellite connection I find them better than full pictures. I can choose which ones to load, in a new tab and continue reading while I wait. Then I can continue to look at these pictures as much as I want while I read the post and try to work out how it fits together. The http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/di...ajesty-180755/ thread started by Michael is a case in point as are Steamwhisperer's presentations.

    It is however your choice in the end.

    Dean

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Riddells Creek
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good point about the broken or old links PDW, I will try inserting images for the first time here.

    Bryan, the Electo-magnetic clutch is just a 12volt unit for an automotive a/c compressor. This clutch is about 120mm diameter.

    DSC00779.jpg

    I wanted to use this one from a Falcon because the diameter (100mm) was almost the same as the original but the direction of rotation was wrong and the V grooves were inappropriately placed for my application.

    DSC00782.jpg

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia east coast
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techo1 View Post
    Good point about the broken or old links PDW, I will try inserting images for the first time here.

    Bryan, the Electo-magnetic clutch is just a 12volt unit for an automotive a/c compressor. This clutch is about 120mm diameter.

    DSC00779.jpg

    I wanted to use this one from a Falcon because the diameter (100mm) was almost the same as the original but the direction of rotation was wrong and the V grooves were inappropriately placed for my application.

    DSC00782.jpg
    OK, thank you for that. May I ask how you got the clutch off the compressor head? I have one sitting around here but haven't tried removing it yet - I assume it's on a tapered shaft with woodruff key, not sure how much force is going to be required to free it. There are a couple things I could use it for on my boat.

    PDW

  12. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techo1 View Post
    Good point about the broken or old links PDW, I will try inserting images for the first time here.

    Bryan, the Electo-magnetic clutch is just a 12volt unit for an automotive a/c compressor. This clutch is about 120mm diameter.

    DSC00779.jpg

    I wanted to use this one from a Falcon because the diameter (100mm) was almost the same as the original but the direction of rotation was wrong and the V grooves were inappropriately placed for my application.

    DSC00782.jpg

    I have to ask the question "how do you get an a/c clutch that operates in the other direction?"

    Does the motor it came off run in the opposite direction to the Falcon? A/c unit turned around 180deg? I have to say I have not yet experienced this, but I have not worked on any of the newer Asian brands etc. Ford and Toyota are my limit in recent (A/C equipped) years.

    Dean

  13. #42
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi PDW,
    I added a second sanden AC compressor to my Prado for on board air, I had to remove the clutch off the existing compressor and machine and weld in a second pulley. From what I recall the clutch came off easily, no need for a puller.
    Regards
    Bruce

  14. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Riddells Creek
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Spot the difference" in the 2 photos to see why I had to use the large black clutch to get the correct direction of rotation

    DSC00783.jpgDSC00784.jpg

    PDW depending on the age and brand of compressor you have, it may have a tapered shaft. but the modern ones are just a parallel shaft with a square section key. The Sanden type (right photo) usually come off pretty easily, as argeng pointed out, because the armature air gap has to be adjusted by shims whereas the unit in the left photo requires a special puller because the armature is pressed onto the shaft, to achieve the gap, and retained by a locking nut.

    This is a puller I made years ago, to remove the armature on a friend Rolls Royce A/C compressor, which I modified a few weeks ago by cutting a 22 x 1.5mm thread on the other end to allow the removal of the very tight black clutch.

    DSC00786.jpg

    Lex.

  15. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe I should have asked why does the black clutch run in the other direction?

    Dean

  16. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia east coast
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techo1 View Post
    PDW depending on the age and brand of compressor you have, it may have a tapered shaft. but the modern ones are just a parallel shaft with a square section key.
    Lex.
    Hmmm, thanks for that. I bought mine for $5 in a tip shop so I have little invested in it. I'm pretty sure it's a tapered shaft, might not be worth any trouble playing with it. A straight shaft unit would be a lot simpler all round. i keep thinking of adding either an on-demand second alternator to charge the house battery bank or a hydraulic pump which would also only get intermittent usage. Possibly both....

    Might be time to investigate the wreckers....

    PDW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bringing back gumnut wood beauty
    By joe mccarty in forum WANTED TO BUY
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st Jul 2011, 09:51 AM
  2. Bringing Back Beauty
    By jakoa2008 in forum BIG STUFF
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th Jun 2011, 02:29 PM
  3. bringing pine to life
    By shane r in forum FINISHING
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th Oct 2009, 10:37 PM
  4. Bringing Hall Tables Back To Sydney
    By soulspirit in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th Oct 2009, 02:16 PM
  5. surface grinder
    By Arron in forum METALWORK FORUM
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16th Sep 2006, 10:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •