PDA

View Full Version : Tool Identity - Odd Hammer Thingy

Buzza
3rd July 2009, 10:46 PM
Can anyone help me identify this odd little hammer thingy please? I have a pen alongside to give an idea of its size. It has a hand made handle, and quite weighty for for a little hammer type tool.

Slow6
3rd July 2009, 11:33 PM
Gday Buzza. Looks like a leather working tool to me.

but I could be very.. very wrong :)

Claw Hama
4th July 2009, 08:11 AM
As Luban said, Leather?, being small maybe something a shoe maker may have used up inside the shoe (dolly) but most likely very, very, wrong.

ColW
4th July 2009, 05:28 PM
My father used to do a lot of saddle repairs, he had one of those
I believe it is a specific saddlers or shoemakers tool.

cheers
col.

Buzza
5th July 2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks for your help guys, there is a furrow between the two surfaces that look as if a fine wire or string would sit in ther whilst being lifted or starined. The penes are slightly curved as well. Maybe it is a cobblers tool because we did a lot of ou own repairs back in the fifties.Saddlers and cobblers both use a lot of the same tools.

Rebo
5th July 2009, 06:56 PM
Buzza,
Your hammer thingy is an old cobblers tool. It was used to melt wax into the edges of the new heels and soles on boots and shoes. The wax was usually coloured black or brown. The tool was warmed over a flame to just a bit above the melting point of the wax, and you virtually ironed the wax into the leather. The notch in the edge is a guide.
Rebo

Buzza
5th July 2009, 10:25 PM
Good onyah Rebo, you've done well for an apprentice! I had no idea myself, even though I did a lot of embossing and that western type of leather work years back. Fifty five years ago, we had a refugee from the USSR come to live with us for a while, and he was a cobbler by trade. He worked in his little room in our old shed, with his tools on one side of the room, and his bed on the other. It is probably a relic of his. :)

Thanks to all. :2tsup: