PDA

View Full Version : what glue to use for laminated workbench top

damai
14th March 2002, 05:08 PM
I am building a workbench and for the top I'll be using hardwood like jarrah (undecided). I like to know what type of glue I should use to join the wood pieces together. Will PVA be strong enough??

Iain
14th March 2002, 07:18 PM
Yellow glue, bit stronger than the standard white PVA.

damai
14th March 2002, 07:20 PM
should I use a particular brand?

Iain
15th March 2002, 07:33 AM
Here's where the s#*^ hits the fan, I use WELDBOND yellow glue and have not had any problems, Neil scored a bad batch some years ago and won't touch it and won't talk to anyone who does http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif
There are several on the market and I would think if you stick to a well known brand you should be OK.
In your neck of the woods I would probably be guided by a supplier like Timbecon.
John Saxton will probably entire the debarcle now as he is a WA native.
Only thing to be aware of is that it does not take kindly to freezing conditions which can affect the molecular structure and adhesion qualities, that is before it is set.
It also has a shelf life after it is opened but, as I said, I have not encountered any problems with it.

damai
15th March 2002, 01:44 PM
Ian. Thanks for the info. I will visit Timbecon and get the glue from them. Where I live in Perth never get very cold so I don't have to worry about it falling apart.