PDA

View Full Version : Pecan Birdhouse

Gil Jones
5th July 2009, 07:13 AM
Hi Y'all,
Another birdhouse…24.765cm tall x 10.16cm wide.
The eye-hook is a gold plated fish-hook (with the hook part removed) CA glued into the finial, the top ball is a brass acorn nut turned round, drilled for the fish hook shaft, and threaded/glued to a tiny tenon at the finial top. The finial is Lemon wood dyed black with India ink, and the roof is Black Cherry with friction burned lines. The "living area" is Pecan wood, with a 6.35mm Oak bird perch, and a faux birdie from Michaels craft store. The hanger is brazing rod, and the base is a piece of Plum wood. The finish is lacquer. Thanks for looking.

Ed Reiss
5th July 2009, 12:12 PM
Gil....what can I say except nice, nice, nice ! :2tsup:

Gil Jones
5th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Ed.
The more I look at it the more I feel the finial should be about 3mm (1/8") narrower.
A bit late for that now.

hughie
5th July 2009, 06:36 PM
The more I look at it the more I feel the finial should be about 3mm (1/8") narrower.
A bit late for that now.
[/QUOTE]

:U yer for sure. But your probably right a bit thinner would be OK. But at the end of the day a darn nice bit of turning :2tsup:

joe greiner
5th July 2009, 10:11 PM
Beautiful, Gil. I agree the finial could be a bit smaller. Those upper rings look challenging.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

jefferson
5th July 2009, 11:15 PM
Gil, I like your work - way in front of me. :2tsup:

Someone, I can't recall who it was, told me that when you do a top like yours, you should have a straight line diminishing from the base of the top to the finial. Or a convex or concerve, but if it's going to be straight, then keep it that way.

I think your top misses by a fraction, but that's just my opinion. It's all the little details that separate good work from the great, isn't it?

So now that you've tickled our fancy, what's coming from you tomorrow? :D

Like the bird too, a nice touch.

Jeff

Gil Jones
6th July 2009, 04:46 AM
Thanks Hughie, Joe, Jefferson, and Artme.
Jefferson, you are right about the "line"....I am still learning, but I have not quite learned to spot (and fix) these little design flaws during the creation phase. There is actually another bird involved here, you just cannot see it. It is inside, about an inch+ back from the entrance and looking out (can you see it ?).:)

artme
6th July 2009, 04:51 AM
That is a nifty piece of work!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Agree with finial comments.

jefferson
6th July 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks Hughie, Joe, Jefferson, and Artme.
Jefferson, you are right about the "line"....I am still learning, but I have not quite learned to spot (and fix) these little design flaws during the creation phase. There is actually another bird involved here, you just cannot see it. It is inside, about an inch+ back from the entrance and looking out (can you see it ?).:)

Gil, I see the little bird this time. A nice touch.

Please don't mistake my criticisms/ thoughts personally. As I said, you are streets in front of me. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Eager to see your next project too.

Jeff

Ed Reiss
7th July 2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Ed.
A bit late for that now.

right Gil...but progressing in our work is a work in progress. I learn more from the mistakes than the successes.:D

Gil Jones
7th July 2009, 01:49 PM
Jeff, your comments and/or critiques are just that…yours…and whether I agree with them or not, they are still all very helpful to me, and probably useful to others as well. I thank you, and all others, who take the time to pen (type) their ideas about my work, and that of all the other’s posted here and elsewhere.
Personally, I enjoy reading everyone’s ideas!!
Ed is quite correct in that one can learn a great deal from errors, and also from doing it right.

RufflyRustic
8th July 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi Gil

What a little beauty!!! So very Striking:2tsup::)

cheers
Wendy

Gil Jones
8th July 2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Wendy, thanks for your generous comments, and I am glad that you like the latest birdhouse.
How did your Dad like his Bee Hive?
Cheers,
Gil

wheelinround
9th July 2009, 10:05 AM
Gil nice work agree with the rest finial could have been a bit longer but hey you work with what you have

I myself have yet to make even what I consider a decent finial to be proud of:B so I can't knock yours.

Ray

Gil Jones
9th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Ray.
The solution might have been to turn the finial 3 or 4 mm thinner at its widest part, and taper out proportionally from there. Trouble is, that did not occure to me until a bit after it was glued to the birdhouse roof. Maybe next time.

RufflyRustic
9th July 2009, 09:01 PM
Hi Gil, My Dad loves the beehive. He was very touched that someone he hasn't even met did that for him. :) My Birdhouse is in my Gallery of my friends' woodwork and always gets a lovely compliment when people see it.:)

cheers
Wendy

Gil Jones
10th July 2009, 10:23 AM
Great, I am glad he likes it!!
Happy that you are pleased with yours too. :)

pitbull
12th July 2009, 12:27 PM
Lovely looking birdhouse Gil :2tsup:, i can't wait to try turning
one (or 20) when i get back to turning after my operation
on my neck and shoulder. :(:)

Gil Jones
12th July 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Pit Bull (curious name for a 53-year old :rolleyes:).
Great luck with your surgery, and hope you have a speedy recovery so you may get back to woodturning soon.
Cheers,