PDA

View Full Version : Thompson turning tool bulk buy?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rsser
7th July 2009, 05:20 PM
With the demise of Carbatec's Hamlet ASP stock I'm offering to organise a bulk buy of Doug Thompson A-11 tools from the US.

This steel is more abrasion resistant and cuts cleaner than M2.

Note that all the tools are unhandled and US bowl and spindle gouge measures are rod diameters.

Read about them here (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/default.asp) and Google for user experiences.

The purpose of the bulk buy is to save on postage. The savings are proportional to the number and size of the tools shipped. There's little advantage if two or three members only want one small tool each. I'll do the work if there is at least 5 tools in the order in total.

Once the numbers are in I'll ask for a discount but don't expect to get one since Doug is a one-man show.

This is how it would work:

1. You do your research and let me know what you want. Check the website for availability and indicate if the item is out of stock; I don't want to hold up the buy waiting for stock but will ask Doug about ETAs.
2. Once all the orders are in I'll get a shipping price from Doug and let you know your share
3. You will need to pay me upfront at the PayPal exchange rate which is marginally lower than bank rates.
4. Once they're landed I'll let you know the local leg postage cost and pack and post your tool(s). Smaller ones (under 500g and < c. 180 mm will be $5.50 ea). A 5/8 bowl gouge will be $9.60.

You can roughly work out what you'll be up for by pricing a tool on Doug's website, calculating pro rata the shipping cost to Oz (see the rates below), converting to Oz dollars (http://www.xe.com/ucc/ (http://www.xe.com/ucc/), adding about 3% for the different rate), then adding an estimate for local postage.

Note that this may not be a quick process due to my periodic absences from Melbourne. If anyone else wants to volunteer feel free. I have no commercial interest in the deal and may not even have an order in.

Also note that I won't do detailed research beforehand on local postage costs for multiple tools in one parcel. If a few bucks either way will be a deal-breaker then please don't join in.

Please post your queries or proposed orders below. Once they tail off I'll set a close date.

----------------

Shipping rates from the US:

3/8 & 1/2 (up to 5 total) diameter tools can be shipped world wide for $12.95 USD
5/8 & 3/4 diameter tools, shipping cost world wide is $41.95 USD (up to 15 in this box)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

DJ’s Timber
7th July 2009, 05:25 PM
Ern I'll definitely be in it for 1, quite possibly 2, I'll let you know by the end of the week if it is 1 or 2 after I've had a chance to suss out the different profiles and sizes

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th July 2009, 05:31 PM
You can pencil me in for one each of the 3/8" detail & 3/8" v-bowl gouges...

NeilS
7th July 2009, 06:04 PM
Put me down for a 1x3/8" V bowl gouge and 1x3/4" V bowl gouge, thanks Ern.

Neil

rsser
7th July 2009, 06:57 PM
Goodo.

Just to reinforce the point made in another thread: US bowl and spindle gouge measures are rod diameters, not flute widths. I got caught out with this on my first order from the US. There's quite a difference.

rsser
7th July 2009, 07:02 PM
One more thing which like the last I've added to the OP:

Check the website for availability of your order and indicate if the item is out of stock; I don't want to hold up the buy waiting for stock but will ask Doug about ETAs.

gidgee 1
7th July 2009, 08:31 PM
Ern
Please put me down for
1x3/8 detail
1x5/8 v bowl gouge
Thanks

cheers
gidgee 1

Cliff Rogers
7th July 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm interested, I'll do my homework.

hughie
8th July 2009, 05:05 AM
OK I am in, let me do my homework and I'll get back to you. I am not in any great hurry, so your absences etc are no bother to me. :2tsup:

rsser
8th July 2009, 06:19 AM
UPDATE: Doug will ship 10 or more tools free.

pommyphil
8th July 2009, 08:11 AM
Hi Ern

If you have room please

put me down for a 1/2" U shaped bowl gouge, Item # 12U.

Thanks. Phil.

Cliff Rogers
8th July 2009, 09:35 AM
OK, I've picked out 3. :2tsup:

How are you going to work out the exchange rate to be able to collect the money first? :think:

I guess you could apply an adjustment when it comes time to collect or with the shipping costs to blokes like me at the other end of the continent.

I wouldn't mind if you ended up with a bit extra on the deal for your time & effort but I'd hate to see you out of pocket.

Let me know how you want to collect these orders.

Ozkaban
8th July 2009, 10:35 AM
Sounds good. Let me do my homework and I'll get back to you. Probably 1 or 2 tools at this stage.

Thanks for organising it Ern.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
8th July 2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Ern,

Managed to keep myself to 1 tool...

Detail Gouge - 3/8" Item# 38D - $US40

Comes out somewhere near $53-ish plus whatever postage. Let me know the rest of the details (such as how and when to pay) once you sort the rest out. Second what Cliff said - hope you end up with something out of this.

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
8th July 2009, 12:12 PM
Would love a bowl gouge or two. Will do my home work and get back. :cool:

GoGuppy
8th July 2009, 02:40 PM
Hi Ern
Have you considered what amount of import duty may apply to the order? My understanding is that parcels with a value of less than Au$1000 (but I have also heard the figure of $500 quoted) and of a personal nature is normally exempt from duties. :2tsup:<o></o>
Is this shipment not likely to be in XS of $500 ~ $1000 and thus run the risk of attracting duties? :oo:<o></o>
Cheers<o>.</o>

bobsreturn2003
8th July 2009, 03:16 PM
just got an order of these 3/8&1/2 . arrived sharp and gave them a work out the other day , very pleased with them so far , seem to be superiour to hss gouges , and priced well . cheers bob

NeilS
8th July 2009, 06:34 PM
Is this shipment not likely to be in XS of $500 ~ $1000 and thus run the risk of attracting duties? :oo:
<O></O>
</O>

But, you can ask the sender to nominate any value you would like on the parcel.

Neil

GoGuppy
8th July 2009, 06:41 PM
Neil
Customs would expect to see the invoice attached to the parcel and I doubt a business in the US would state a bogus value on the invoice. In any case, if customs pass the parcell throuh an Xray machine and see all the steel 'rods' they may become suspicious. This may cause major proplems for the person who the parcel is addressed to.
Cheers

DJ’s Timber
8th July 2009, 06:54 PM
Last time I looked, duty free is up to $1000, so we'll need to make sure that the total order is under that limit or alternatively break it up into two parcels if it is over the limit but would need to ask that Doug either delay the second parcel by a week or two so that Customs don't see the two together as they will and can charge duty on two parcels even if each parcel is under but the two combined is over, or send the second parcel to a different addressee as duty is only charged to the one person if goes over the $1000 limit.

rsser
8th July 2009, 07:07 PM
Good point DJ and thanks for looking into it.

(I've also heard that customs sometimes keep a record and if you hit over a grand for a year, bingo ...).

Just out of interest, anyone know what the import duties might be? Or is it only GST?

DJ’s Timber
8th July 2009, 07:21 PM
Been awhile since I looked but I believe it includes duty and then GST on top of the combined total of product and duty.

The Custom site lists all the relevant details, a quick Google for Australian Customs should net all that info.

And as for the Customs keeping a record, I believe they do, but only to catch those that try to get out of duties and GST when they import stuff every month that come under the $1000 threshold.

In the case of someone who brings something in once or twice a year, they don't bother as far as I'm aware. I know I've had 2 or 3 orders in the same year of which each was under the $1k limit but combined they were about $2.5k from memory.

I'd be happy to receive a second parcel if it was to get up around the threshold.

rsser
8th July 2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info and the offer DJ. And thanks GoGuppy for the heads-up.

Anyways, I don't think we're near a grand yet.

Cliff, I have to pay using PayPal so I'll find out their rate when I notify what folk are up for. It's usually around 2-3 cents worse than bank rates.

I think I'll close the offer Sunday night and post a spreadsheet of who wants what and the AUD cost. Also direct deposit details.

If folk are prompt the order could be placed around Wed. of next week. This would be good cos I'm angling to do a few faceplants in NZ snow soon. (Don't worry, I'll leave a paper trail for the forensic accountants in case of a 'negative avalanche event').

rsser
8th July 2009, 09:58 PM
Current PayPal exchange rate is 1 AUD = 0.767 USD.

DJ’s Timber
8th July 2009, 10:05 PM
I think I'll close the offer Sunday night and post a spreadsheet of who wants what and the AUD cost. Also direct deposit details.

If folk are prompt the order could be placed around Wed. of next week.

Didn't think this would move this quick, so I'll have to retire from this order as I won't have the funds to cover my share by then.

Count me out thanks Ern :H

weisyboy
8th July 2009, 10:34 PM
ill take
a 1/2" spindle gouge

rsser
8th July 2009, 10:40 PM
Well, how are other folk placed?

If I get to NZ then the order may not get placed til around August 8. Is that a problem for anyone?

If I don't get to NZ, and I should know by Sunday, then how much time do you need DJ (and others)?

tea lady
8th July 2009, 10:47 PM
Would be better for me if it was later rather than sooner too.:roll:

DJ’s Timber
8th July 2009, 10:53 PM
If I get to NZ then the order may not get placed til around August 8.

, then how much time do you need DJ (and others)?

I could have the money by then, my main problem at the moment is I have about $8000 worth of repairs being done on the truck at this stage due to an engine rebuild not to mention that I've just out laid $10,000 on getting parts of the crane rebuilt on the thing, only to pull it off the road 2 days later to get the motor sorted :doh: and the money to pay for these gouge/s will come from any cash money I earn in the next 2 or 3 weeks doing small jobs whilst the truck is off the road.

At this stage by glancing at my money jar, I can put about $20 or $30 towards an order now.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th July 2009, 11:01 PM
It doesn't worry me one way or 'tother... either way the paperwork will be hidden from The Treasurer. :B

In a way, the sooner the better before prices/exchange rate decide to soar again.

powderpost
8th July 2009, 11:06 PM
Ern,
I will have 1 only 1/2" detail gouge and a 1" skew. The web site says the 1" skew is sold out. If still not available when the order is placed substitute 3/4" skew please. Can do a transfer to your a/c on demand when needed. May need some numbers for the a/c??? Timing of the order is no problem to me.
Jim

stevew
9th July 2009, 07:40 AM
Ern,
Put me down for one 1/2 inch V Shaped Bowl Gouge.
Let me know the amount and I will transfer funds straight to you.
Cheers.
Steve

rsser
9th July 2009, 08:00 AM
Goodo.

When I draw the line I'll post a spreadsheet with people's orders to check, the AUD price (exc. local postage which I'll notify when the tools are landed) and how to make the bank transfer.

warrick
9th July 2009, 08:58 AM
The $1000 limit for customs also includes the shipping costs

Warrick

Jim Carroll
9th July 2009, 09:19 AM
The customs limt is AUS$1000.00 once it goes over that you are up for GST 10% and custom duties which can work out about another 5%

So keep a carefull eye on the costs and as indicated get doug to do 2 shipments, will mean the freight will be a bit higher but still come under the threshold.

Cliff Rogers
9th July 2009, 09:28 AM
Timing doesn't bother me.

Doug said he would do 10 tools freight free, so far I can only see one tool over $100 on the list so 10 tools should come under $1000.

rsser
9th July 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Jim and Cliff.

Order total is USD 880 and 15 tools now, assuming 2 out of stock items will be in stock soon.

letzzzgo
9th July 2009, 10:08 AM
Ern

Put me down for 1 tool.
Let you know which one soon.

With Thanks
letzzzgo

Drillit
9th July 2009, 11:01 AM
Ern,
Could you put me down for:- 1 x 3/4" V bowl gouge and 1 x 1 1/4" scraper.
Many thanks for your efforts. Regards, John m.:)

rsser
9th July 2009, 11:13 AM
Yep ... but the 3/4 V bowl gouge is out of stock John.

I'm waiting to hear back from Doug about whether there's a firm ETA on new stock.

And can I have a volunteer in Melb to receive what will have to be a second parcel?

Ozkaban
9th July 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi Ern,

I'm located in Syd, and if there's enough stuff coming north of the border, I'm happy to organise the second shipment/post them out, etc.

PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,
Dave

Doug Thompson
9th July 2009, 02:51 PM
First of all Thank you! Now let's have fun.

As a surprise a person stateside offered to pay the shipping for his woodturning friends in Australia. I can't say who but he knows someone here... I wonder who it could be.

I offered to pay shipping but that is done so let's take $5 USD off each tool in this order to help with the exchange rate. (Erm, we'll do this with paypal and not order from the website).

To answer a few questions.

Shipping is paid but I can't get $1,000 of tools in any box so there will be no duties on any order. The 1 inch skew and a 3/4V bowl gouge won't be made for months so they can't be ordered now... sorry. I can't start making tools again for a couple weeks so the next batch will take longer than normal.

rsser
9th July 2009, 03:08 PM
Wow. Thank YOU! And to our anonymous Seppo benefactor.

Yes, we'll need two boxes shipped and Ozkaban will help by taking the 2nd and distributing locally.

Doug, I'll email you the order and you can invoice me via PayPal at the email address I'll provide. I'll provide you with the street address for each box.

John and Neil, let me know if you want to change your 3/4V bowl gouge to something else.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th July 2009, 03:31 PM
:woot:

Thank you, Doug!

And a thanks to you, Ern, for getting the ball rolling. :)

rsser
9th July 2009, 03:39 PM
No wukkers ;-}

It's turning into quite a ball!

Andy, as I read it one of our US members is chipping in (cough).

Now if only I were lazier and had left the spreadsheet til tomorrow. But it's nice to shrink cost figures for a change.

stevew
9th July 2009, 04:25 PM
Ern,
Have come up with a second order as well.
one 5/8 inch V shaped Bowl Gouge
Cheers.
Steve

Cliff Rogers
9th July 2009, 04:42 PM
First of all Thank you! Now let's have fun.

As a surprise a person stateside offered to pay the shipping for his woodturning friends in Australia. I can't say who but he knows someone here... I wonder who it could be...
Strewth, how good is that? :2tsup:

Thank you very much stateside woodturning friend. :)

NeilS
9th July 2009, 06:19 PM
John and Neil, let me know if you want to change your 3/4V bowl gouge to something else.

Ern, make that a 5/8" V bowl gouge instead of the 3/4" V bowl gouge, thanks. I'll get a 3/4" to replace it when the 5/8" wears out...:)

And, thanks also to 'our' stateside benefactor.

Neil

Brett Hammond
9th July 2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Ern

Can you please put me down for a 1/2 V bowl gouge.

Thanks
Brett

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th July 2009, 08:01 PM
Andy, as I read it one of our US members is chipping in (cough).

That's the problem with staying anonynonymous. No-one knows who to thank.

But a heartfelt thanks, just the same. :;

Drillit
9th July 2009, 08:27 PM
Ern,
Thanks for the E/Ms...tried hard ran second. I will get in the queue next time. Regards:no:, John M.

INVENTOR
9th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Many many months ago a few of us put in an order to Doug (when we found out the glaser tools were not being made)
Doug was great. Since then I have been telling Aussie woodies to think about putting in group orders with their clubs etc. Well worth the effort.

rsser
9th July 2009, 10:35 PM
I've got one of his 5/8 V bowl gouges - have used it as a bowl roughing gouge for dirty or hard blanks and it's taken a pounding.

You're prob aware Inventor from his website that he makes a bowl gouge to go into the old Glaser handles, though it doesn't have the Glaser shape.

letzzzgo
9th July 2009, 11:03 PM
Ern, put me down for a 1/4" Spindle Gouge - item #14S.
Thanks also to Mr anonymous.

letzzzgo

powderpost
9th July 2009, 11:11 PM
Ern, please add for me 1 only 5/8" V bowl gouge (item #58V), if it is not too late or to much strife. Thanks...
Jim

tea lady
10th July 2009, 12:19 AM
And can I have a volunteer in Melb to receive what will have to be a second parcel?Already been a volunteer in Sydney, but if another Melbourne one is needed I can step in.

And also put me down for a 3/8" V shaped bowl gouge and a 1/2" V shaped bowl gouge, if that doesn't make the whole thing too unwieldy. :cool:

Calm
10th July 2009, 09:11 AM
Already been a volunteer in Sydney, but if another Melbourne one is needed I can step in.

And also put me down for a 3/8" V shaped bowl gouge and a 1/2" V shaped bowl gouge, if that doesn't make the whole thing too unwieldy. :cool:

Just remember AM that these are measured by the outside diameter of the gouge not the distance across the flute as HT are.

Cheers

rsser
10th July 2009, 09:16 AM
Done.

Jim, as per PM, I've sent Doug a query. The website's ambiguous about the 1/2 detail gouge.

John, I'm afraid I don't understand your post. Do you still want the scraper and an alternative bowl gouge size?

Thanks for the offer TL. Let's see how we go.

OK, from here on:

Orders taken til Sunday 8pm.
Then I'll post a spreadsheet for you to check your order and see what you're up for in aussie dollars.
Payment will need to be made by Thursday 5pm. No money no tools.
Payment by direct deposit only. The spreadsheet will have my account details.
I'm hoping to get tool weights and lengths from Doug so we can also tell you your local postage and you only have to pay once; if not, I'll let you know when the tools arrive.

rsser
10th July 2009, 10:36 AM
Actually I'll put the spreadsheet up later today so those who are loaded can fire. This will be Order 1.

Any more will be posted Sunday.

hughie
10th July 2009, 11:19 AM
Ern,Put me down for the 5/8 U shaped bowl gouge. :2tsup:

GoGuppy
10th July 2009, 12:47 PM
G'day Ern

Could you put me down for

One 1/4" Detail Gouge
One 3/4" U-Bowl Gouge
One 1/2" Scraper
And many thanks to our new best mate in the US!! :2tsup:

Cheers

rsser
10th July 2009, 01:04 PM
Done.

Doug will try and get tool weights to me by the end of the weekend so you only have to do one bank transfer.

So I'll hold off posting the spreadsheet.

ticklingmedusa
10th July 2009, 04:29 PM
As a turner who uses one, I love my Thompson 5/8 U shaped bowl gouge :2tsup:
I'm thinking about a detail gouge next time.
Making the handle was a piece of cake.
I used a dense tough desert timber we call Palo Verde.
Better shearing cuts mean less sanding drudgery and ultimately nicer finishes.
One thing Doug Thompson recommends is using the Oneway Wolverine and Vari grind sharpening jigs. Jig vs freehand is an old debate but its not monopoly money you are sweeping off the floor of the shed every time you sharpen.
I am not employed by Thompson just sharing my experience.
The tool I ordered was delivered promptly ( of course I am a seppo:D )
and carefully packaged.
peace,
tm

tea lady
10th July 2009, 06:49 PM
Was using a detail gouge today. I think I need one of my very own.:doh: Will have a look at the cattledog again and get beck to you.:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th July 2009, 07:17 PM
Was using a detail gouge today. I think I need one of my very own.:doh: Will have a look at the cattledog again and get beck to you.:cool:

You mean you're attending 's School of Powered Whittling and you don't have your very own detail gouge yet? :yikes:

I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!

tea lady
10th July 2009, 11:58 PM
You mean you're attending 's School of Powered Whittling and you don't have your very own detail gouge yet? :yikes:

I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!:C I....... I .......... I'm s..s...s.....orry!

So how do they measure the detail gouges? If its the diameter of the rod not the flute width? Is the detail gouge rod round too? :hmm: If not, is it measured across, or up and down? :shrug:http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th July 2009, 12:06 AM
So how do they measure the detail gouges? If its the diameter of the rod not the flute width? Is the detail gouge rod round too? :hmm: If not, is it measured across, or up and down? :shrug:http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=D

A 3/8" bowl gouge (US measure) translates to a 1/4" gouge (European measure.)

However, as the flute is near full-width on a detail gouge (and it's not a circular section), I'm trusting that a 3/8" (US) is the same as a 3/8" (Euro)

:fingerscrossed:

If not, well... I could use a 1/4" detail gouge as well. Would still prefer the 3/8"er though.

tea lady
11th July 2009, 12:16 AM
Where's when you need 'im? :viking::bath::driving:

So , what size is my bowl gouge? You know! The one with the silky oak handle? And what size was the detail gouge I was using today? :?:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th July 2009, 12:22 AM
If 'twas one of 's toys, it's probably measured in whole inches, not fractions. :p

rsser
11th July 2009, 08:39 AM
And just to add to the confusion quotient, one method in the UK (which I think was std at one time) is to quote the distance between the top of one flute and the outside diameter of the rod at the opposite side.

rsser
11th July 2009, 11:20 AM
There's an indication of tool cross sections here (http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=474)... could be clearer though.

Edit: link corrected.

tea lady
11th July 2009, 12:26 PM
There's an indication of tool cross sections here (http://http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=474) ... could be clearer though.That link doesn't work Ern. :shrug:

DJ’s Timber
11th July 2009, 12:28 PM
That link doesn't work Ern. :shrug:

Remove the doubled up http:// and it'll work :;

tea lady
11th July 2009, 12:34 PM
Remove the doubled up http:// and it'll work :;

Very weird. I tried to remove it from the address and it keep trying to tell me all about Hypertext protocol.:doh:

tea lady
11th July 2009, 12:38 PM
did it!:cool:

But the detail gouges are still round rod? I thought the one I was using yesterday was flatish on the sides. :? Better wait for to get back from his outing.:rolleyes:

rsser
11th July 2009, 02:19 PM
Link fixed.

Yes, some designs of a 'long and strong' detail gouge have a cross section that's squarish or rectangular. I think the idea is for long tool overhangs you need more mass. You can get the same effect by having a shallower flute - hence Doug's shallow detail gouges.

But I'm no expert on these.

wm460
11th July 2009, 03:40 PM
What is the difference between the V and the U shaped gouge?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th July 2009, 04:41 PM
TL, if you look at the two detail gouge types in the pic, you'll see that B (made from round stock) is the one that has different sizes for diameter vs. flute.

For type A the flute is nearly the full dia. :) Looking at the gouges in the listing, it seems that instead of flat sides the Thompson ones are bevelled back. I'd prefer flat sides, for full support when the tool is rolled over all the way, but even so the flute is the same measurement as the dia. for all intents & purposes.

So a 3/8" detail gouge should be a 3/8" detail gouge in either standard, unless he's measuring in some weird 'n wonderful way. :rolleyes:

wm460 C & D in the pix show a U-profiled bowl gouge vs. a V-profiled bowl gouge. Enough said? :wink:

efgee88
11th July 2009, 05:49 PM
Please Ern - Quick . . . . get that order placed. I can't hold off much longer!
Its just so tempting, and everyone else is ordering stuff . . . .
. . . . and I need them all . . . . and . . . and . . .

Please let this be over with so that us mere mortals can forget about ultimate toolsteel, special ellsworth grinds, v-shapes, u-shapes . . . ahhhhh!

FrankG - drowned in drool!

rsser
11th July 2009, 06:29 PM
Sorry Frank.

Can you install a net filter that bans any site that mentions woodturning? :wink:

letzzzgo
11th July 2009, 08:27 PM
Ern
If ok, can you update my order to include:

1 x 1/4" Spindle Gouge
1 x 3/8" Spindle Gouge
1 x 3/4" Skew

letzzzgo

rsser
11th July 2009, 09:18 PM
Done.

nalmo
11th July 2009, 10:45 PM
1 x 1/2" Detail Gouge
1 x 1/2" U shaped Bowl Gouge

And thanks for organising this Ern. I can now tell my family what they have bought me for an upcoming birthday.

tea lady
11th July 2009, 11:24 PM
I think I'll just leave my order at the 3/8 V shaped bowl gouge and the 1/2 V shaped bowl gouge. :U

rsser
12th July 2009, 09:21 AM
Done.

We're up to AUD 2100 and 3 boxes. Ray will take the 3rd.

rsser
12th July 2009, 09:36 AM
wm460 C & D in the pix show a U-profiled bowl gouge vs. a V-profiled bowl gouge. Enough said? :wink:

Nope :D

Pic of the 5/8 V bowl gouge attached.

RETIRED
12th July 2009, 10:55 AM
TL you the one in Skews pic labelled A is close. Mine are Henry Taylors.

Doug Thompson
12th July 2009, 11:25 AM
If you don't know what flute shape to get go with the V shape flute because it's like the Sorby's, Ellsworth... etc. My U shape is just like the letter U with a large radius at the bottom, if the flute was deeper it would become a spindle roughing gouge.

Ern, I sent the weights and lengths to you.

Sawdust Maker
12th July 2009, 11:50 AM
Can I put my hand up for the 3/8" detail gouge please (if it doesn't bugger up the order)
and I'll be good and stop there

and thanks Ern and everybody for their work, help and to the benevolent postage payer - ripper:2tsup:

rsser
12th July 2009, 05:56 PM
The order list is in the pdf file below.

Please check your order and follow the instructions on the spreadsheet for payment or order correction.

Thursday is the deadline for your direct deposit.

Those who ordered early may have missed the great news that our anonymous US benefactor is chipping in to the tune of $5 US per tool to compensate for the lousy exchange rate. Thanks again Mr Anon from us all :2tsup:

Maybe we could send him a nice piece of timber or two as a thankyou.

GoGuppy
12th July 2009, 06:30 PM
Ern

Money transferred. Many thanks for organising this.
Cheers

kdm
12th July 2009, 06:54 PM
Ern,
If I'm not too late (been away from the computer) can I get a 5/8 V bowl gouge please?
Thanks
Keith

letzzzgo
12th July 2009, 07:00 PM
Money on its way. Thanks Ern for all your hard work!

letzzzgo

rsser
12th July 2009, 07:02 PM
GoGuppy, goodo ... don't forget to email me your real name and mail address.

Keith, ditto. Local postage included that'll be AUD 102.90. See the pdf file for direct deposit details.

rsser
12th July 2009, 07:06 PM
Goodo letzzgo ... remember real name and mailing address.

And everyone, PLEASE don't forget to put your forum name in the bank transfer reference field.

I really don't want to be solving puzzles when it comes to money. Any I can't readily match up I'm going to spend on a Cuban cigar.

rsser
12th July 2009, 07:24 PM
One member has had trouble with the my email address on the spreadsheet. No idea why.

I'll change it there to one that might work better. Here 'tis now .... rsser at westnet dot com dot au

tea lady
12th July 2009, 07:38 PM
Those who ordered early may have missed the great news that our anonymous US benefactor is chipping in to the tune of $5 US per tool to compensate for the lousy exchange rate. Thanks again Mr Anon from us all :2tsup:

Maybe we could send him a nice piece of timber or two as a thankyou.
Wow Mr Anon! That is above and beyond the call of duty.:oo: Thanks heaps, and thanks Ern for organizing.:cool:

gidgee 1
12th July 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Ern

Money is on the way.
Many thanks to Mr anon for his(hers?)generosity :2tsup:,also to Doug for the discount :2tsup:and to Ern for organising the group buy:2tsup::2tsup:.

Cheers
gidgee 1

Sawdust Maker
12th July 2009, 07:57 PM
Is it too late to ask for a 1 1/4" skew as well (I know I said I'd be good, but ...:rolleyes:)
and I could probably wander up to ozkaban's place and pick up if he is happy with that

rsser
12th July 2009, 08:35 PM
OK Nick. That makes $158.70 inc local postage.