PDA

View Full Version : A Visit to a Japanese Knife/Chisel Shop

Ruffy
11th July 2004, 11:25 PM
What a day today was, went to a shop in the Japanese town of Kawagoe about 45 minutes North of Tokyo by train.

The shop was called Machikan and they hand produce knives, chisels and swords.

I fell in love with the chisels :D :D :D but that was all I did, the cheapest one for sale was a 6mm mortise and it was about $120Aus. :(

There was a number of sets there for sale each comprising of 8 chisels from 6mm up to 38mm the cheapest set was - make sure you are sitting down $4,983.87Aus and ranged up to a set for :eek: $6,431.62Aus.

The Gentleman running the shop was very happy to spend a considerable amount of time showing me how to sharpen and maintain them. He also explained the difference between the various grades of the chisels, which is primarily to do with the steel quality additionally the number of folds that comprises the finished product.

I hopefully will be able to go back there in the next couple of months and this time be able to purchase one or two single chisels. If I can swing it with my boss I will be staying a couple of extra days and attend his late afternoon classes on sharpening etc.

Ben from Vic.
12th July 2004, 12:54 AM
I hopefully will be able to go back there in the next couple of months and this time be able to purchase one or two single chisels. If I can swing it with my boss I will be staying a couple of extra days and attend his late afternoon classes on sharpening etc.

Sounds like a dream come true. :cool:

I'm sure Oz would have an apropriate smilie. :D

Ben.

goodwoody
12th July 2004, 02:39 PM
I live in Kawagoe.

Ben from Vic.
12th July 2004, 02:48 PM
I live in Kawagoe.

Thats Kawagoe on the sunshine coast? :D

goodwoody
12th July 2004, 05:44 PM
I live 6 months in Oz and 6 months in Nippon. I know Mr. Takeshi well and have bought many tools from him. They are happy to sharpen Japanese saws on a postal basis.

bitingmidge
12th July 2004, 05:55 PM
Thats Kawagoe on the sunshine coast? :D

No silly, on the Sunshine Coast it'd be Kawagoe Waters.
:D :D :D
P

AlexS
13th July 2004, 12:17 AM
Ruffy & Damien, we were there last Sunday. As you say, Mr Takeshi is very friendly & willing to spend time explaining things. I'd love to buy some of his small planes, but really couldn't justify it - maybe later.

Damien, Sorry we missed you in Kawagoe. Can you recommend any modern furniture galleries in Tokyo, Hakone or Nagoya? Found a place that had nice furniture in Futakotamagawa, but it was all Italian!
Cheers from Tokyo