PDA

View Full Version : how to make parallel grooves

jackiew
12th July 2004, 06:21 PM
the previous owner of my house put pelmet boxes over many of the windows. The timber used has a series of shallow grooves ( 5 or 6 from memory ) routed into it parallel to the long edge.

I want to make additional pelmets ... they don't have to be an exact match to the others just close enough that it won't be glaringly obvious when you walk from room to room ( any guests arriving equipped with calipers won't be invited back a second time :) ).

As I'm going to make a number of these pelmets any suggestions for a jig which can help me with spacing the lines evenly would be much appreciated.

Gumby
12th July 2004, 06:45 PM
First question. Are you routing by hand held or table method ?

Tonyz
12th July 2004, 06:58 PM
Our house has the same. about 35 years old. I found matching wood at my local timber yard ....not hardware store Tonto

journeyman Mick
12th July 2004, 11:33 PM
Jackie,
I wouldn't bother with a jig for this one (others may disagree here) as you would probably have done most of the routing by the time you built the jig. Fit the appropriate size bit and an edge guide/fence in your router, get a step ladder and set the router depth off the grooves in the pelmet. Then use the first groove in the pelmet to set the edge guide, go out and rout all your bits of timber. Shake all the shavings off yourself, go back in and up the ladder and set the fence to the second groove, go out and rout second groove etc etc etc.

Mick

jackiew
13th July 2004, 09:41 AM
cheers mick, sounds a good plan of attack. now why didn't I think of that :o

graemet
9th September 2004, 05:28 PM
Jackie,
Probably too late for you by now, but those pelmets were made from a standard timberyard moulding (made a few myself 35 years ago!) Any yard with a moulding shop could probably still have the cutters and could make it in no time cheaper than you busting yourself.

barnsey
9th September 2004, 06:34 PM
Jackie,

If the grooves aren't that wide I'd do it in the table saw using a fence :p

Jamie