PDA

View Full Version : first bowl since high school

metricky
11th July 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi all,
recently the old man gave me his old lathe and since then have been mucking around with small pieces of timber but today i finished my first bowl since high school, a red gum bowl from fiddle back from a tree in Eden Valley, we have worked out that this tree was about 600 years old when it died. Bowl finished with cabinet makers wax!:2tsup:110455

artme
12th July 2009, 08:48 AM
Beautiful piece of timber and well turned and finished.:2tsup::2tsup:

You might give some thought to the form of any future work so that the line is more pleasing.

leisureologist
12th July 2009, 07:47 PM
Hi all,
recently the old man gave me his old lathe and since then have been mucking around with small pieces of timber but today i finished my first bowl since high school, a red gum bowl from fiddle back from a tree in Eden Valley, we have worked out that this tree was about 600 years old when it died. Bowl finished with cabinet makers wax!:2tsup:110455

I wish my first bowl was as nicely finished! :2tsup: I have one on the lathe at the moment and tear out is killing me. I am also trying for a thin wall and have visions of a lid for it. Like you new to this since high school. I hope your high school is not as long ago as mine! Think about the age of that bowl. 600 years. And you made it beautiful. Take pride.

orificiam
12th July 2009, 08:15 PM
Congrats metricky nice bowl and a beautiful finish.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

metricky
12th July 2009, 10:12 PM
Thanx allot, i am starting to make a collection of various timbers now so i should have more fun in coming months. I have to buy some proper lathe tools at the moment i am using old files and grinding them to make tools but they seem to work alright.
Anyway Thanx again, cheers Richard.:2tsup: