PDA

View Full Version : Marquetry Course

Pasho
12th July 2009, 04:34 PM
Hi all, I was fortunate to attend the Marquetry Course held on the th - th July run by Steve ( Toolbagsplus). I did not know what to expect not having had anything to do with marquetry and veneers except for edging the occasional draw/cupboard.
I arrived a little before am and met Steve, Pam, Glen and Geoff. The work areas/benches were all set up with all the equipment we would need. Steve had prepared a piece of ply veneered both sides with different coloured veneers for the students to use for the first exercise. Marquetry is no different to any project you do, It all comes down to your interpretation or how you see it, so we had choices to make over the next 2 days with Steve's valuable input.
Steve explained the basics etc and then we were into it.
First exercise marking out and cutting a shape in this case a sea shell. Step by step we went choosing the veneer of the shell, marking it out and getting the grain running in the direction as it would in a real shell, many fine cuts and then burning a shadow on the parts before glue up. Cutting out the oval and inlaying it into the veneer block, marking out around you shell onto the oval inlay and cutting it out and inlaying it, using a scraper then sanding etc to give you your finished job. Easy as falling off a log.
That took up to around lunch time and I must say how happy I am with my first attempt. My wife and daughter were amazed at the beautiful shell I had created.
Steve was always there coaxing and giving his advise and knowledge freely.
After lunch we all started on the designs/pictures we had brought with us or used some of the ones Steve had on hand. I opted for one of Steve's pictures a Humming bird and flowers so over the next day and a half we marked cut, re cut , re cut the pieces as with veneers slightly too much pressure and you split the veneer and having large fingers doesn't help much either. But I got there.
The only criticism I have is there are not enough hours in a day. I finished the lid for my box as far as gluing but it still has to be sanded etc.
I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in gaining a new and exciting skill and if I can do it anyone can.
Thank you Steve for your time, support, effort and having the courage to run this Wonderful Course.

wheelinround
12th July 2009, 06:53 PM
Pasho amazing work and all in 2 days :o:2tsup::2tsup:

Must learn to do it an easy sit down even indoors sort of project.....if LOML will allow it indoors:;

munruben
13th July 2009, 01:22 PM
Nice work David, I am sure you will find the techniques you learned to be very beneficial on some of the projects you make. would love to see some of your finished work soon.:2tsup:

artme
13th July 2009, 03:07 PM
Wonderful stuphph Dave!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: No stopping you now.

Woodtec
17th July 2009, 12:30 PM
Looking good …..Excellent job ….!

Andrew_B
27th July 2009, 07:18 AM
those are really cool!

insperation :2tsup:

Cruzi
27th July 2009, 12:33 PM
I can whole heartedly echo the comments on Steve's course.

It is a fun and enjoyable experience with Steve being a great teacher, he managed to get an all thumbs, heavy handed klutz like me turning out some nice patterns.

Steve guided us through a lot of the methodology and techniquies, freely sharing his experience and equiping us with the knowledge required to go forward.

In the 2 days we did the shell (http://www.cruzis-coins.com/tmp/marq002.jpg) as the first project, then moved on to a diamond parquetry pattern (http://www.cruzis-coins.com/tmp/marq001.jpg), then did an oval sunburst (http://www.cruzis-coins.com/tmp/marq003.jpg) and finally a corner spanish fan (http://www.cruzis-coins.com/tmp/marq004.jpg) design.

All I can say is: Thanks Steve :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Pasho
27th July 2009, 08:31 PM
Well done Cruzi a fine effort and Steve seems to bring out the best in his students. Look forward to seeing some more from you in the future. :2tsup::2tsup:

toolbagsPLUS
28th July 2009, 07:15 PM
Well done Cruzi a fine effort and Steve seems to bring out the best in his students. Look forward to seeing some more from you in the future. :2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks Pasho, but full credit to Cruzi he takes a darn good photo:2tsup:

Cheers

Steve