PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Germany 1926

Big Shed
13th July 2009, 09:25 AM
Interesting old film, like his "Tormek" with all the "jigs".

YouTube - WOOD CARVING IN GERMANY 1926

Ed Reiss
13th July 2009, 12:37 PM
"Granpa" kicks butt in his turning style. The hook tool was interesting...and the music was entertaining. I give it a 9.5 :2tsup::D

RETIRED
13th July 2009, 01:47 PM
Not much has changed in 80 years.

Notice there were no long handled tools and spindle gouges were used for most of the work.

rsser
13th July 2009, 02:34 PM
Liked the safety glasses.

Did he get a catch with the hook tool?

robbiebgraham
13th July 2009, 03:20 PM

Notice there were no long handled tools and spindle gouges were used for most of the work.
Must have been before bowl gouges and long handles were invented. LoL
Very impressive tho.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th July 2009, 04:33 PM

:whs:

Except for burnihsing with the shavings at the end.

Y'know, I rekocn the only "modern" thing he'd really be impressed with is Hermes J-Flex? :U Didja notice how stiff the stuff he was using was? I imagine that this was when 'twas still common for each woodie to source the bottles of grit and glue up their own sheets?

wheelinround
13th July 2009, 05:03 PM
Great find Fred downloaded it this morning watched it while having lunch.:2tsup::2tsup:

Noticed in the background someone walking past the window constantly:roll:

TTIT
13th July 2009, 05:06 PM
What the hell was that last tool he sharpened :o:o:o - looked like a flattened square bar with the end bent over - very nasty lookin' bit o' work!!!:oo::oo::oo:

Grumpy John
13th July 2009, 05:10 PM
Cool :cool:

orraloon
13th July 2009, 05:18 PM
That was great. Still a lot of things hardly change. You could see he had done a few of those before. The economy of movement was a joy to watch. No safety gear and sanding with the rest there is about the only thing different. Still he looked like he knew what he was about and still had all his fingers. That lathe looked quite good too.
Thanks for posting it.
Regards
John

RETIRED
13th July 2009, 05:47 PM
What the hell was that last tool he sharpened :o:o:o - looked like a flattened square bar with the end bent over - very nasty lookin' bit o' work!!!:oo::oo::oo:A genuine hook tool. Still common in parts of Europe.

RETIRED
13th July 2009, 05:48 PM
That was great. Still a lot of things hardly change. You could see he had done a few of those before. The economy of movement was a joy to watch. No safety gear and sanding with the rest there is about the only thing different. Still he looked like he knew what he was about and still had all his fingers. That lathe looked quite good too.
Thanks for posting it.
Regards
JohnWelcome to the world of production turning.:wink::D

pommyphil
13th July 2009, 06:09 PM
Great stuff ! Was he plane cutting the outside of the bowl with the skew before he scraped the base and sanded ? I'd read no skews on faceplate work, I think :?

rsser
13th July 2009, 06:15 PM
A genuine hook tool. Still common in parts of Europe.

Yeah, Andre Martel is a big exponent. He sells them.

If you're interested see him at work at http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php
select AAW then his vid.

RETIRED
13th July 2009, 06:39 PM
Great stuff ! Was he plane cutting the outside of the bowl with the skew before he scraped the base and sanded ? I'd read no skews on faceplate work, I think :?He wasn't using it like you normally would use it.

It is a semi peeling cut with the skew flat on the rest. If done finely like he is you can get a very good finish off the tool but it takes practise.

Paul39
14th July 2009, 06:08 AM
Three carbon steel tools & sandpaper.

Wow.

rhancock
14th July 2009, 10:36 AM
That's great - its got my 2yo hooked on turning, so I'll just have to buy him a lathe for his birthday...

artme
14th July 2009, 02:59 PM
Great stuphph. Thanks for the Vid. Fred.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: