PDA

View Full Version : Pen Mandrel

smidsy
14th July 2004, 01:06 AM
Hei Guys,
I have a pen madrel (Cat# MAND-92) which I got from Carbatec.

Included with the mandrel is a 2 peice brass collar with plastic inserts - the peices of the collar screw together with the insert inside.

Can anyone tell me what the brass collar is for as it stumped the instructor at my woodturning club. My thought is that possibly it's an adjustable spacer for when you only want one blank on the mandrel.

Cheers
Smidsy

gatiep
14th July 2004, 01:41 AM
Smidsy

The little brass article is a mystery to most turners. It is intended to beput onto the mandrel after the timber and third spacer but before the thumb nut. The purpose is to hold the wood and spacers snug, therefor it has the little nylon inserts. In actual fact it is not worth bothering with it. Somebody ( who designed the mandrel and probably never turned a pen) included it in the design/manufacture but there is no need for it. The extra bushess that is included for some fancy style pen, (cannot remember the name) doesn't suit any of the kits available in Australia.

Put the brass thing and those bushess in your 'one day box'................one day you may find some use for them.

smidsy
14th July 2004, 01:46 AM
Thanks Joe - it even had Reg stumped.
Cheers
Smidsy

FAB
14th July 2004, 07:59 AM
Will I have been putting it on first, so as to shorten the mandrel when turning the shorter items like key rings etc.

Jim Carroll
14th July 2004, 08:32 PM
The locknut with the nylon olive is for short turnings or single turnings like letter openers or the americana pen.
If turning the standard pens with the 2 tubes it is not required and as indicated put it into your toolbox or a safe place till required.

Froggie40
17th October 2006, 12:20 AM
I just put a few extra 1A bushes that I have worn out over the years on to make up the void when I am making single blank pens etc then I can just use the brass knurled nut as normal

Froggie
Addictive Pen Kits

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th October 2006, 12:27 AM
...and I just slip on a spare tube. :D

Tornatus
18th October 2006, 12:15 AM
...and I just slip on a spare tube. :D

.... and I bet you look very slinky in it too, Skewch!;)

Skewpid
18th October 2006, 02:00 AM
Wooohay !!!

Been meaning to ask what that little bugger was for. Thanks Smidsy!

I too just slip on an old tube (brass, not lycra) to take up the slack:)