PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Handles

Ozkaban
14th July 2009, 10:03 PM
Hi,

This thread is inspired by Tea Lady's comment about making chisel handles for the Thompson Turning Tools group buy. I recently bought an unhandled P+N bowl gouge (brilliant timing :doh: I probably spent more than the thompson equivalent...), and made a handle for it out of a 50mm hardwood garden stake fron bunnings.

It is nothing special to write home about, but it's my first one and it was a bit of fun. Total length from ferrule (a $2 cheat from McJing Tools!) to end is about 350mm. Finish is shellawax 'cos it was close at hand. Similar design to the other P+N handled tools I have, but larger and with a different base so I can tell which one it is when the rest is burried by shavings.

I thought it would be cool if people could post handles they have made as inspiration for the dozens of unhandled chisels flooding into the country that need attention...

Oh, and as mentioned in another thread, I didn't drill the centre hole out quite large enough and have managed to jam the chisel most of the way in :C. I guess I'll find a way of getting it back out, enlarging the hole by 0.5mm and having another go...

Cheers,
Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th July 2009, 10:08 PM
My handles tend to change shape depending on how I use the tool. Many of my gouges, for example, have a whopping great mushroom on the end because I cup them in the palm of my hand rather than grip them in the normal manner.

Most are downright fugly... a lump of galv pipe welded onto the chisel has more aesthetic appeal. :rolleyes:

But they're comfortable for me to hold and use for long periods and that is the important thing. :)

GoGuppy
14th July 2009, 10:49 PM
............. I didn't drill the centre hole out quite large enough and have managed to jam the chisel most of the way in :C. I guess I'll find a way of getting it back out, enlarging the hole by 0.5mm and having another go...Dave

Dave, try drilling a 1 or 1.5mm diameter hole in the handle above the end of the gouge to vent out the trapped air. Then give the back of the handle a few more whacks with the biggest wooden mallet you've got (without the steel being supported by anything) and you may be pleasently surprised how much further the tool disappears into the handle:U:U. Of course the hole needs to be deep enough in the first place :doh:.
If you want, you could then fill the small hole with a bit of superglue covered with sawdust and sandpapered smooth...near enough invisible:2tsup:.

Cheers

GoGuppy
14th July 2009, 11:00 PM
Hi, I picked up a beaut piece of pacific ebony at the Working with Wood exhibition in Sydney last month, perfect for a Thompson gouge handle!! It's about 45mm (1.75") square and about 450mm (18") long (too cold to go out and measure in the shed just at the moment...:no:), looks lovely almost jet black with some figuring shining through...and it was very reasonably priced (from memory anout seven or eight bucks) and environmentaly harvested :2tsup:.

issatree
14th July 2009, 11:28 PM
Hi Ozkaban, Dave,
Have a look at Richard Raffan's Book, " Turning Wood " In the back is a rather nice Handle, so much so that all of my handles are almost like that.
Find an old Aluminum Chair, & cut it into 1in. - 25 - 30mm. & use that as your ferrules. You can turn them very easily to sq. them & polish them with a bit of Steel Wool.
I took my Book to Office Works, & blew up the handle picture to 13in. - 335mm. on A3, & just copied the the handle on the Lathe. Worked a treat.
As for Wood, there must be heaps around, Roadside, Friendly Farmer, Botanical Gardens Workers Site, Tree Loppers, & Other Woodies. Hope this helps a little.
Regards,
issatree.

Sawdust Maker
14th July 2009, 11:38 PM
Here's a link (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/handles.asp)to the tool makers handle suggestion

hughie
15th July 2009, 12:54 AM
I tend to make all mine different, its an easy way to recognise them in the rack. As for wood I have some fine grain hardwood dunno what sort but it makes good handles. I rarely polish them just finish them with EEE and leave them at that. Fairly utilitarian in style not quite as fancy as most turners, If I can find the camera will put a pic up tomorrow, oops its tomorrow already . :D

rsser
15th July 2009, 09:47 AM
I seat the tang or shank in the handle by first pushing it in as far as it will go and then doing a controlled drop of the handle end onto a carpet square on the concrete floor.

Ozkaban, have you tried holding your steel shaft in a vice and pulling on the handle, tapping the ferrule in the same direction with a mallet if nec.?

Cliff Rogers
15th July 2009, 10:04 AM
For anybody who has ordered a 5/8" tool, I have a 5/8" P&N drill bit with a 1/2" shank.

Let me know if you would like to borrow it as they are not cheap to buy for just one or 2 holes.

It will only cost a couple of dollars to post it around & if we have a few takers, I'll make a list & it can be forwarded on to the next person as each finishes with it.

I already have one taker & the bit is on the way to Brissy today.

<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Anybody who wants to get in line to borrow the 5/8" drill bit, send me a PM with your
Name :
Address :
E-mail :
Phone number :

Also indicate if you are 'ready now' or 'in no particular hurry'

Ozkaban
15th July 2009, 10:20 AM
Ozkaban, have you tried holding your steel shaft in a vice and pulling on the handle, tapping the ferrule in the same direction with a mallet if nec.?
Will do this - I haven't been very persuasive with it yet...

Dave, try drilling a 1 or 1.5mm diameter hole in the handle above the end of the gouge to vent out the trapped air. Then give the back of the handle a few more whacks with the biggest wooden mallet you've got (without the steel being supported by anything) and you may be pleasently surprised how much further the tool disappears into the handle:U:U. Of course the hole needs to be deep enough in the first place :doh:.

...and I'll do this if the above doesn't work :D

My handles tend to change shape depending on how I use the tool. Many of my gouges, for example, have a whopping great mushroom on the end because I cup them in the palm of my hand rather than grip them in the normal manner.

Most are downright fugly... a lump of galv pipe welded onto the chisel has more aesthetic appeal. :rolleyes:

But they're comfortable for me to hold and use for long periods and that is the important thing. :)

would like to see pics - my goal with this thread was to get ideas of different handles to try, not just the standard one that I made...

I tend to make all mine different, its an easy way to recognise them in the rack. As for wood I have some fine grain hardwood dunno what sort but it makes good handles. I rarely polish them just finish them with EEE and leave them at that. Fairly utilitarian in style not quite as fancy as most turners, If I can find the camera will put a pic up tomorrow, oops its tomorrow already . :D

I agree about making them all different - at least part of the reason for buying them unhandled. I only polished it 'cos I was having fun, probably wouldn't normally bother. Would like to see pics.

Cheers,
Dave

hughie
15th July 2009, 01:07 PM
Here you go, heres a selection of my handles. I have a few more they are mainly branded so they are production handles.

I have also several tools waiting handles, this all hinges on when the shed is built of which is due to start in a few weeks.

GoGuppy
15th July 2009, 02:22 PM
Hi hughie, thanks for the piccie of the handles. Like you, I also have a line up of bare tools that would like a handle. You've provided some good ideas there. I particularly like the beaded ones...:2tsup:

tea lady
15th July 2009, 02:37 PM
Gazing at my pile of wood, the bits I have in handle sizes are red gum, jarrah, blackwood, murbu and ash. Did someone (Maybe Wouldwood, ) mention that ash was pretty good for handles cos it was springy? (Only got one bit of that though. ) Blackwood wouldn't be so good would it? And Merbu would prolly make my hands black.:doh: I think I've got some Wattle branches too that might be dry enough by now. . :think: Would slightly green be alright as it will shrink onto the shank? :? If so, I've also got yellow box and silky oak.:cool:

Woodwould
15th July 2009, 02:50 PM
Did someone (Maybe Wouldwood, ) mention that ash was pretty good for handles cos it was springy?

Most European tools (be they chisels, hammers or axes) are handled with Ash.

Ozkaban
15th July 2009, 02:51 PM
Nice collection of tools and Handles there Hughie. I like the variety - especially the beading on the handles. Very nice :2tsup:

TL, I reckon pretty much any decent hardwood would do. The annoying thing is that most timber places sell 50mm DAR, meaning it's closer to 38mm square, which is too small for my hands. Getting rough sawn hardwood is harder (without buying fancy varieties from a decent timber merchant :rolleyes: ), which is why I liked these garden stakes... Suppose I should look for something better though!

Cheers,
Dave

rat52
15th July 2009, 03:30 PM
Is the local "ash" of similar grain and texture to the european ash

rsser
15th July 2009, 03:48 PM
Most European tools (be they chisels, hammers or axes) are handled with Ash.

Yeah, 'foreign' Ash (desert, claret, golden), not mountain ash.

Top handle is Gidgee - for Sunday turning only.

Bottom style is one you see more of these days. Good for tools whose handle you want to tuck under your forearm. The wood is English Elm.

Woodwould
15th July 2009, 04:07 PM

...and Common Ash - all the proper (original) ones! The proper (original) Mountain Ash (actually of the order Rosacea) grows in Europe too, but I doubt that's the mountain Ash you're talking about either. :p You Aussies! :roll:

Rat52, anything with the prefix 'Vic' isn't Ash.

Vic Ash/Tassie Oak is too inclined to splinter for my liking, although I'm sure there are people here who have handles made from it.

rat52
15th July 2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks woodwould. I thought that would be the case

rsser
15th July 2009, 04:17 PM
...and Common Ash - all the proper (original) ones! The proper (original) Mountain Ash (actually of the order Rosacea) grows in Europe too, but I doubt that's the mountain Ash you're talking about either. :p You Aussies!

If it weren't for Pommie settlers naming timbers for what they looked like back home we wouldn't be in this mess! :wink:

wheelinround
15th July 2009, 04:28 PM
If it weren't for Pommie settlers naming timbers for what they looked like back home we wouldn't be in this mess! :wink:

True Ern but then you'd be walking round eating grubs still

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th July 2009, 04:29 PM
Vic Ash/Tassie Oak is too inclined to splinter for my liking, although I'm sure there are people here who have handles made from it.

Yep. :U

Not the best wood in the world, but it's cheap, easily available and for some tool handles it doesn't matter too much so long as the splinters are removed.

Woodwould
15th July 2009, 05:23 PM

Oh those Pommies! :~

tea lady
15th July 2009, 06:31 PM

Top handle is Gidgee - for Sunday turning only.

Bottom style is one you see more of these days. Good for tools whose handle you want to tuck under your forearm. The wood is English Elm.

In my recent reading about Claret ash, (Which I think was what Sailors slabs were, weren't they? anyway... ) I remember something about Claret ash being an "Australian" cultivar. Look! It says so in Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claret_Ash) so it must be true.:cool:

Also, why can you only turn Gidggee on Sundays. :?:D

rsser
15th July 2009, 06:34 PM
GoGuppy, is the ebony dry? Just a thought .... saw some at the Melb show last year and it wasn't very.

Cliff, I find if I use the same OD drill as the tool shank the hole will make for a sloppy fit. It may be the technique or the rig. Sometimes there's no choice and there's always epoxy in the shed :-

Cliff Rogers
15th July 2009, 06:39 PM
I use either a bit of hot melt glue or epoxy.

If you warm the tang end of the tool with a hot air gun the working time of the hot melt glue is longer.

The hot melt method is easier to get off again if you need to.

tea lady
15th July 2009, 06:41 PM
Most European tools (be they chisels, hammers or axes) are handled with Ash.:2tsup: So that's one covered. :cool:

rsser
15th July 2009, 06:42 PM
In my recent reading about Claret ash, (Which I think was what Sailors slabs were, weren't they? anyway... ) I remember something about Claret ash being an "Australian" cultivar. Look! It says so in Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claret_Ash) so it must be true.:cool:

Also, why can you only turn Gidggee on Sundays. :?:D

How bout that ... think they have Claret Ash in the US too?

Gidgee handle is Sunday best TL. Really too good a timber to use on a handle. But I'd spent days shaping the 3/8" thick steel into a long overhang side scraper and the Gidgee seemed fitting at the time.

tea lady
15th July 2009, 06:46 PM
How bout that ... think they have Claret Ash in the US too? :cool: I think so! Stick with me kid an' ya might learn something.:D But only useless things.

Gidgee handle is Sunday best TL. Really too good a timber to use on a handle. But I'd spent days shaping the 3/8" thick steel into a long overhang side scraper and the Gidgee seemed fitting at the time.:U Does sound fitting. (Just thinking out loud.... I'm sure there's a piece of American Oak at Knox Woodworkers that seems fitting.:D )

Woodwould
15th July 2009, 07:11 PM
Desert Ash, Claret Ash and Golden Ash are all introduced species.

Desert Ash – or Caucasian Ash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus_angustifolia) (Fraxinus angustifolia) to give it its correct name, is considered a weed (http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&ibra=all&card=E15).

The Claret or Raywood Ash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claret_Ash) (Fraxinus angustifolia subsp. oxycarpa) is a cultivar of the Caucasian Ash.

Golden Ash (Fraxinus excelsior 'Jaspidea') is a cultivar of Common Ash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus_excelsior).

Mountain Ash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan) (not related).

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:</style>

Sawdust Maker
15th July 2009, 09:25 PM
and when you burn them all what do you get ... :o

I know, inappropriate comment and I should be ashamed of meself :no:

Now that I turn I look very closely at pieces before I put them on the barbi

rsser
15th July 2009, 09:33 PM
LOL.

Had the wood fire going this week, but cast-offs from the Stubby maw that were on the pile are getting a reprieve in the resized turning regime.

issatree
15th July 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi to all again,
I think I must look at Handles in another way. I'm tight, & that is water tight, as I GATHER my wood, meaning I don't have to buy it. I find Cypress makes a great handle, Jarrah, not to keen on Red Gum, as I had 1 break.
A bit of Osage Orange goes well, & Merbau is very good.
Tea Lady says she get dirty hands, well if you cut a Lemon in 1/2, & with it, straight to the hands, stains from Green Wood, Jarrah, Red Gum will be removed instantly, & just wash under soap & water. I have even used Orange Juice, & that will work as well.
Regards,
issatree.

tea lady
15th July 2009, 11:42 PM
The Claret or Raywood Ash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claret_Ash) (Fraxinus angustifolia subsp. oxycarpa) is a cultivar of the Caucasian Ash.
But what I'm saying Wouldwood is that Claret ash was a cultivar developed from a chance seedling in South Australia. So even though its from a foreign tree, its born and bred here, kinda like a convict decedent.:cool:

Merbau is very good.
Tea Lady says she get dirty hands, well if you cut a Lemon in 1/2, & with it, straight to the hands, stains from Green Wood, Jarrah, Red Gum will be removed instantly, & just wash under soap & water. I have even used Orange Juice, & that will work as well.
Regards,
issatree.:2tsup: Thanks. Will give it a go next time I'm black from turning th stuff, but I'd rather not have to do it every time I use my bowl gouge.:C What about Native cherry? :think:

Woodwould
16th July 2009, 12:11 AM
But what I'm saying Wouldwood is that Claret ash was a cultivar developed from a chance seedling in South Australia. So even though its from a foreign tree, its born and bred here, kinda like a convict decedent.

Ah-ha... I'm with you now.

Sawdust Maker
18th July 2009, 10:14 PM
Some of the handles I've made
tools are from
bowl gouge x 2, parting off, scrapers x 4, Lil Hughie, Hughie Ripsnorter and a P&N handled skew (to show a professional one). They are all loosely based on the P&N (believe it or not :doh:)

Size has usually been dictated by the piece of timber. Except the Ripsnorter as I hunted down a particular size. I'm going to re-handle the Lil Hughie as I'm not happy with the shape and it could be a tad bigger/longer. And as commented elsewhere some of them are from floor joists salvaged after a reno (have to be 90 year old)

tea lady
19th July 2009, 12:57 AM
Very nice variety there. The extra long handles balance the overhang I guess. :2tsup:

wheelinround
19th July 2009, 10:45 AM
Some of the handles I've made
tools are from
bowl gouge x 2, parting off, scrapers x 4, Lil Hughie, Hughie Ripsnorter and a P&N handled skew (to show a professional one). They are all loosely based on the P&N (believe it or not :doh:)

Size has usually been dictated by the piece of timber. Except the Ripsnorter as I hunted down a particular size. I'm going to re-handle the Lil Hughie as I'm not happy with the shape and it could be a tad bigger/longer. And as commented elsewhere some of them are from floor joists salvaged after a reno (have to be 90 year old)

All those just for pen making :q

Sawdust Maker
19th July 2009, 08:01 PM
All those just for pen making :q

cheeky bugger

No but the new Thompson skew is :o

Ok I make the odd bowl - most of which are decidedly odd and end up as landfill or fuel for cooking snags on the barbi

wheelinround
20th July 2009, 08:50 AM
cheeky bugger

No but the new Thompson skew is :o

Ok I make the odd bowl - most of which are decidedly odd and end up as landfill or fuel for cooking snags on the barbi

Well were are the photo's of these odd bowls before they are BBQ'd:q

Sawdust Maker
20th July 2009, 12:13 PM
When I flipped this one over to do the inside I went straight through the side :doh:
Was so disgusted I immediately threw it in the bin :(( by the time I thought should have taken a piccy the rubbish had been collected
Jarrah and Tassie Oak
I've got to glue up another and give it another try

hughie
20th July 2009, 01:07 PM
Looks promising tho' Nick, look forward to Mk2 :U

don't worry been there and done that, more often than I care to admit :C

David Mitchell
20th July 2009, 09:57 PM
Three chisel handles I have made from Ash ,all turned at different times and you can see the different grain:roll:( I have a good supply of this timber):wink:
The Ash trees councils planted in the streets years ago
It is very good to turn and gives a good finish:cool:
Ferrell made from an old Aluminum chair
Regards
David:2tsup:

kdm
21st July 2009, 08:14 AM
Spurred on by Cliff lending me a drill bit, I've made the handle for my Thompson bowl gouge. Just need the gouge now!! It's made from beech with a brass plumbing fixture made into the ferrule - I normally use copper pipe but couldn't get any big enough for this one.

Cliff Rogers
21st July 2009, 09:37 AM
Anybody else want to borrow the 5/8 drill bit, let me know.

Paul39
21st July 2009, 10:14 AM
I heat with wood so I am always collecting. I pick up furniture, chairs, tables, chests, bed head and foot boards, off the street on rubbish day.

Used furniture dealers may have broken stuff that can be had cheap or free.

Broken pick handles, shovel handles, ball bats.

Down the street a house was being renovated, they tossed all the porch railings into the dumpster. They were made of close grained southern yellow pine, 50 - 60 years old, spindles over 2 inches / 50mm square, some very close grained. I saved the best, heated the house with the rest.

If one has a mental picture of a chisel handle, it is not hard to see that shape in any chunk of wood.