PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec Thicknesser query

bloggs1968
14th July 2004, 11:41 PM
Hi again all,

I am looking for a bench mounted thicknesser and out of the carbatec catalogue, I was looking at the CTJ340 12 1/2" model and the Delta model. After talking to a few different salespeople, I was told to steer away from the CTJ340 as there were some issues with it however, I was told that the older version the CT340 was a much better unit ( at around the $700) and was still being imported and sold regularly. Additionally, and interestingly, I was told it was a better unit that the Delta and it comes with 4mm, resharpenable blades.

Now I am confused. Does anyone here have the CT340? I would welcome you opinions on this machine and if anyone has the Delta, likewise.

TIA

Andrew

mat
27th July 2004, 03:59 PM
In the carbatec 2002 catalogue they have the CT340 listed - it seems to be the predecessor of the CT317 with 2 hp motor, rollers at the ends of the table but it listed at $799 so there must be some quality there somewhere.

TassieKiwi
27th July 2004, 04:07 PM
Check out the 15" job - $1150/3hp/3knives etc - based on a Delta methinks. I'd buy one meself but have to pay for the campertrailer firsthttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif

Dennis

mat
27th July 2004, 04:11 PM
I have a space problem so want to stick to the smaller models - also looking at the new De Walt 3 knife models 734 and 735.

TassieKiwi
27th July 2004, 04:36 PM
They do look interesting. I saw the 'first in Australia' 12" de-walt in a shop in Legana - even had 110v motor. They've worked the guts out of it for years, and have only sharpened blades. I like the new idea of grunty springs in leiu of the lock bar - I reckon that would be a pain in the ring. What are the new ones retailing for?

mat
27th July 2004, 04:47 PM
About $1000 for the 734 and $1100 for the 735. One great advantage of the 735 is that it has an inbuilt extraction fan and doesn't need a separate vacuum source.

bloggs1968
27th July 2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys. Have decided to go with the new Jet 13". Better pricing, dual feed speed and limited lifetime warranty. See following link http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/330thicknesser.html

regards,

Andrew

mat
27th July 2004, 05:24 PM
Interesting - looks identical to the old Carbatec CT330
Let us know how it goes re snipe etc
Does it have a cutter head lock?

bloggs1968
27th July 2004, 06:35 PM
Interesting - looks identical to the old Carbatec CT330
Let us know how it goes re snipe etc
Does it have a cutter head lock?

Hi Mat,

Yes it does have the head lock feature.

From the Jet catalogue it says (abbreviated)

- 4 post system
- 15 amp motor powers cutterhead and feed rollers simultaneously
- dual position cutterhead height adjustment handle for left/right hand operation
-2 blade cutterhead with double edge HSS auto set knives (resharpenable according to the rep)
- head lock designed to eliminate snipe (I'll believe this when I see it)
- cutting depth scale in inches and mm

Anyway, seemed to be a lot better quality than the carbatec model and the warranty sold me. Price is pretty good too.

I'll post when it arrives and I have caned it!

regards,

Andrew

Termite
28th July 2004, 09:29 AM
The Jet model is identical to the one that Hare and Forbes sell except for the 2 speed option. I have one (H&F) and am very pleased with it. They are so identical that I use the blades out of the Jet in mine because I can buy them close to home.
When H&F had their recent sale on I paid $585.00 including the dust chute.
If you set up the infeed and outfeed tables correctly you get virtually no snipe. I am absolutely stoked with this unit.
Kind regards
Termite

mat
31st August 2004, 04:56 PM
Andrew

Have you got the Jet thicknesser yet? Any feedback on the quality of job it performs?

bloggs1968
31st August 2004, 07:01 PM
Hi Mat,

I have had the Jet for a few weeks now and it is a sweet unit. It's first task was to get stuck into a bunch of crappy old tassie myrtle and I was very surprised with the result. Admittedly, the blades were obviously new, but the finish was almost as if it had been planed by hand. I put through a fair bit of timber with no drop in performance and virtually nil snipe. The one piece that copped a bit of snipe was, I believe due to my eagerness to pull it out the outfeed side.

I've done a few other odds and ends of tas oak and pine and all with similar results.

So far, I can say that I am very happy with the purchase.

Also, with the Jet dust chute connected up to the DC, not one chip - and I mean not one chip anywhere!

regards,

Andrew