PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning fatality

Shutterbug
18th July 2009, 12:50 PM
A woodturner in Ontario Canada, died in a woodturning accident Monday, July 13th. While working at his lathe, a piece of wood broke off and hit him in the head.

http://www.flamboroughreview.com/news/article/267516 <!-- / message -->

eisbaer
18th July 2009, 01:28 PM
a timely warning to please take precautions everyone. I wouldn't want to hear of any of the guys or girls on here having such a dreadful fate. :(

tea lady
18th July 2009, 03:55 PM
:oo::C I guess we need the reminder not to get complacent.

Tisorp
18th July 2009, 06:38 PM
Is someone able to explain what error(s) this unfortunate chap is likely to have made that resulted in his demise. Should one wear a helmet when working at a lathe?

Ad de Crom
18th July 2009, 07:00 PM
Stay always out the line of fire, as much as you can.

eisbaer
18th July 2009, 07:38 PM
the only time i've ever come close to an injury is when a piece of wood came off and hit the trend airshield square on the front. I'm sure if it had been a large heavy and uneven piece of something it would have ended badly regardless... but i'd rather have something between my head and a heavy spinning piece of wood than nothing. No wonder my wife is scared of the lathe.

RETIRED
18th July 2009, 08:14 PM
Is someone able to explain what error(s) this unfortunate chap is likely to have made that resulted in his demise. Should one wear a helmet when working at a lathe?
Hmmm, lets see:
speed too fast for what he was turning.
Timber not secured properly.
Inability to use the chisels correctly or improper tool for the job.
Flaw in the timber.
Having his head in the way as per Ads comment.
Not wearing a face shield.

I think that covers most sins.

nalmo
18th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Love the updated pic . I know where you keep those WMD's in that shed of yours.

artme
18th July 2009, 09:41 PM
Love the updated pic . I know where you keep those WMD's in that shed of yours.
Is that Woods of Mass Destruction, Worms- a Minor Distraction ....:?

Got hit in the face and chest when a Grey Mangrove bowl exploded. We gathered all the pieces, no apparent flaws, no dig in No real explanation. Nasty fright though.:C

Rattrap
19th July 2009, 10:01 AM
Very nasty thought indeed especially considering i've started wood turning only a few weeks ago. But at least i always use my trend face shield without fail. The lathe still scares the #### outa me.

Ed Reiss
19th July 2009, 12:04 PM
As with ALL machinery, safety first is paramount. If it doesn't "feel right", heed the warning and find a safer way to do it.

RETIRED
19th July 2009, 12:36 PM
Very nasty thought indeed especially considering i've started wood turning only a few weeks ago. But at least i always use my trend face shield without fail. The lathe still scares the #### outa me.All my machines scare me from the little screwdriver to our massive Radial arm saw and the "Big Henry".

woodturner777
19th July 2009, 12:52 PM
I had this happen to myself many years ago, turning a large burl bowl with allot of rot in it. close to 15 Kg in weight I had it rounded so turned up the speed to finish.
Next thing it flew past my right ear and into the wall with a thud.
Next thing wife came running into the workshop saying you bloody idiot, dont turn bowls that big. the secret is keep moving your head.
Cheers Bob

rsser
22nd July 2009, 10:01 PM
Plus when you hear a ticking when your tool is cutting, stop and check it out.

thefixer
22nd July 2009, 11:27 PM

Yes one must absolutely, positively, definately wear a mask.

This is what happened to me not that long ago before I bought a mask. I consider myself very lucky to have escaped serious injury or worse.

Cheers
Shorty

Rum Pig
23rd July 2009, 08:45 AM
there is a lot to be said for pen turning:):)

As all have said it is a said tragedy but hopefully it will makes us all think safety safety.

Take care

Rattrap
23rd July 2009, 10:04 AM
Ouch shorty! that hurts just to look at!

hughie
23rd July 2009, 02:16 PM
I gather the accident involved a catch and broken gouge, then a lump dislodging from the lathe and hitting the victim in the forehead. Details are sketchy, I got this info from another forum much closer to Canada.

There are still a number of details that would be handy to know, such as:-

The experience level of the turner
Type of timber
Rpm's
Method of holding the blank

and so on.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd July 2009, 05:58 PM
Ah. Thanks for that Hughie. As the article only states that he "suffered a fatal blow to the head" I was wondering what happened.

It's easy to assume that the wood hit him, but I know all too well that I've injured myself more often by dodging UFOs than being hit by 'em. For example, I can easily imagine his stepping back, tripping over wood/tools/whatever behind him and clocking himself on the corner of a TS. Been too damned close to it myself! :B

In which case, a cleaner shed would be a better safeguard than any amount of face masks. :;

Rattrap
23rd July 2009, 08:01 PM
In which case, a cleaner shed would be a better safeguard than any amount of face masks. :;

hmmm let me think.....
A cleaner shed or..
A smack in the head with a piece of wood.....
I think i'll go with the smack in the head, its done me wonders so far!
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Sawdust Maker
23rd July 2009, 08:17 PM
hmmm let me think.....
A cleaner shed or..
A smack in the head with a piece of wood.....
I think i'll go with the smack in the head, its done me wonders so far!
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

your wish is my command :club:

Calm
23rd July 2009, 09:09 PM
Although this tradegy occured a long way away our great site/forum is an Aussie site but it does go worldwide.

I think some of the points of view/comments here are a little callous to say the least.

Please remember a wife has lost a husband, children have lost a father and a family has lost a member they will never see again.

While i am thinking about the possible causes of this accident my thoughts are with the family members - if it happened to me i would hope someone cared a little.

Just my 2 bobs worth

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd July 2009, 11:11 PM
If it happened to you, David, your daughters would be kept too busy fending off forum members who "just want to check that the Stubby's alright" to be overcome with grief. :rolleyes:

hughie
24th July 2009, 10:29 AM
[If it happened to you, David, your daughters would be kept too busy fending off forum members who "just want to check that the Stubby's alright" to be overcome with grief. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

sorta reminds of one Federal Labours notable sages comment of "you can alway bank on self interest" :U

Seriously, its true, he left family and friends behind. But for us, we can do little for them given lack of info and distance.Other than to take it as a timely warning.

Many years ago I worked in the mining construction industry and the most dangerous time was after about 10 years in the industry. It was put down to complacency, This 10 year time frame killed and maimed a lot of guys.

rsser
24th July 2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, first 3 months in the building construction industry is danger time too. Guys just don't know enough to read the risks.

David, I don't think anyone was making light of the tragedy. Humour is one way of coming to terms with a threat.