PDA

View Full Version : Candle Bowl

skot
18th July 2009, 10:15 PM
This is only my third attempt at a bowl so I thought I would make something for my daughter who lives away from home & loves to have candles around her to sooth her mind...calm her shakra...or some other hippie twaddle like that.

Just kidding, she is a social worker and says the lit candles around her while she is having a bath helps her forget her stressfull job so I thought I would use a piece of jacaranda I had lying around and make something for a tea candle. I created a bowl shape around the candle for some coloured glass balls/pieces for the light to bounce off.....sorry about the fuzzy pics also.

On a slightly associated matter, I didn't realise how cheap those Tea candles are. I got 50 thats right 50 for $3.50 from one of those cheap discount stores..."Crap 4 Less" of something like that.

Sawdust Maker
18th July 2009, 10:18 PM
Nice
lovely piece of timber
I'm sure she'll be pleased with it

Ed Reiss
18th July 2009, 10:41 PM
Nice work Skot :2tsup:

artme
19th July 2009, 07:15 AM
Great use of the Jacaranda Skot!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
19th July 2009, 01:18 PM
Your daughter is going to love it! Great idea about putting the coloured glass around the edge! I'm going to have to steal that idea I think! ;)

I also think it's a good use for a wooden bowl! I mean, we collectively make a lot of bowls, they can't all be salad services (and I'm leaving out those amazing art pieces, just talking about normal bowls here) so finding a different use for them is good!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2009, 05:04 PM
Nicely done! I'm sure she'll love it. :)

Just make sure she uses coloured glass marbles and not those plastic capsules of bath-oils. I dunno if it's true of all of 'em, or whether we were given cheap chinese knock-offs, but we found out the hard way that ours were flammable! :oo:

Rattrap
19th July 2009, 08:15 PM
Very nice Skot, great idea too. I bet my missus would love 1. i can see some brownie points for me!

Texian
20th July 2009, 12:27 PM
Nice work Skot! Pictures aren't too bad. Just use a white sheet for a background and focus a little closer to the front of the object. The depth of field (what is in focus from front to back) is about 1/3 in front of the point where you are focused and 2/3 behind it. But you already knew that.

skot
22nd July 2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the comments...looks like I'll have to do one for the wife as well.