PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing glue pigment from hands

barrysumpter
11th April 2002, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

I've just finished glueing up the second lutiens garden bench. I've used the outddoor polyurithane (?) from carbi-tec.

Its the one that bubbles up and changes color to yellow. What a mess.

Anyway I had to glue 60 joints in an hour (befor it hardened).

Anyway I got it all over my hands and can't seem to get it off.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the pigment without removing the skin?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 11 April 2002).]

Zsteve
11th April 2002, 03:00 PM
What? No Triton products to help you out here? :0 (sorry Barry had to do it).

Not sure about the Glue/staining, maybe add a day or two and it will start wearing off, or track down some thinners?

Stephen

Eastie
11th April 2002, 04:00 PM
Acetone (may have no effect once cured ?), followed by gentle washing with warm soapy water for 5-15 minutes.
Otherwise a couple of days should see it peel - unless you develop a rash - in that case see a doc.

Wear gloves next time & good luck with the new job.

barrysumpter
11th April 2002, 04:45 PM
Thanks Gents,

Rang the Manufacturers (duh :b)

Absolutely nothing will remove it.

It just has to wear off.

Now, how do I explain to my new employer and co-workers why I don't have enough personal hygene to wash my filthy hands.

Finally got a break with employment, but still humbled by everyday mishapps.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Harry
11th April 2002, 07:52 PM
Pumas Stone and teeth gritted, maybe a scotch or two before.

barrysumpter
11th April 2002, 08:05 PM
Yeah, Harry,

The Scotch sounds good.

Drunk enuf an oo cars bout me filty hans? ay?

hic!

baz

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

KevM
12th April 2002, 02:44 PM
Barry,
My wife is one of the unusual women, who that when they see something new, buys it. She found what is fine emery or wet & dry paper, glued on a plastic paddle which you use in a bath or shower(when skin has softened) for removing hard skin/callouses from the feet. Works well on the feet.

I was gluing up a large number of brass tubes into pen blanks using a type of superglue and found at the end of it all, I had somewhat black hands and fingers. Nothing seemed to remove it. I was in the shower and saw the paddle sitting above the shower door and you guessed it, I tried it and it worked.

A couple of points though:-
1/ make sure hands are well softened by the water
2/ don't rub too hard, it will remove more than the outer layer of skin.

Kev

barrysumpter
12th April 2002, 11:42 PM
Thanks for that Kev,

End of day three and I really went to town scratching them off in a really hot shower. Almost all gone, just bits and pieces left when the show ran cold.

I'll ask my lady about the emory board.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

soundman
16th April 2002, 04:08 PM
we used to have a similar problem with a glue for polystyrene great stuff but the only thing to get it of was 120 grit sand paper coarser is too painfull finer does little.
gloves are a wonderfull thing i keep 2 boxes of disposable gloves in the workshop 1 latex ( cheap ANSEL from the supermarket ) & 1 of a better plastic food grade glove. great for painting & staining and othe messy jobs. when you are finnished just peel em off into the bin. great.
Cheap disposables don't stsnd solvents much at all though.
I am still looking for a good solvent proof glove for serious stuff like playing in thinners, cleaning spray gunns & the like. I have been told nitrile is the go.