PDA

View Full Version : Sanding the inside of bowls

ElizaLeahy
19th July 2009, 04:37 PM
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2009, 04:48 PM
:yes: That about sums it up. :U

Ed Reiss
20th July 2009, 12:00 PM
is that before, during, or after Eliza????:D

Texian
20th July 2009, 12:13 PM
It was that good?

artme
20th July 2009, 12:34 PM
:D:D:D:D:q

ElizaLeahy
20th July 2009, 12:35 PM
At the moment my left hand is bleeding.

I had to stop with this bowl (actually, inside of a box) last night because it had a crack, so I superglued it and left it overnight.

Now I'm trying to sand it so that it doesn't have a superglue stain on it - and concintrating on the inside of the bowl instead of what my left hand was doing, SOMEHOW managed to connect my left hand with the spinning chuck.

Got me just under the thumb on the palm of my hand, and we don't have bandaids! So I won't be able to sand it more until I find a glove or something.

We are a dedicated bunch, aren't we? it's not 'OH MY GOD I'm bleeding get me a bandaid!" it's "OH MY GOD I'm bleeding - I might get it on the finish!!!"

heehee

Anyone want to give me some lessons on how you finish off inside a bowl - shaped like an inverted cone.

I've been putting what I learnt about the scraper to good use (yay, I can now use a scraper!)

hughie
20th July 2009, 01:02 PM
maybe these will help, get an extension while your at it and fit the lot to your pistol drill

http://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding/flexible-sanding-pads-accessories/sanding-pads

ElizaLeahy
20th July 2009, 01:06 PM
~grrrrrrr~

I DON'T have a piston drill!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Actually, I got it done. Just used the scraper to take off high points, then sanded A LOT! Bleeding hand and all :)

hughie
20th July 2009, 01:08 PM
down to Bunnies and get a XU1 they are around $16.00, mines being going for nearly three years.

eisbaer
20th July 2009, 03:44 PM
i can visualise how hard it would be to sand inside a box. Hope your hand feels better :) take care of them cause it'll be hard to turn without them.

ElizaLeahy
20th July 2009, 05:11 PM
Place a whole string of swear words here...

It's good that I don't like the shape of the box (which changed over time because of the cracks!) because I failed to catch it as it was cut away, and it has a bit chipped out on one side, and a gouge in the other!

I guess this is eduction, right?

~sigh~

ElizaLeahy
20th July 2009, 05:12 PM
Hughie, the only XU1 I could find on the internet is a car! lol

I don't think that's what you meant!

hughie
21st July 2009, 01:09 AM
the only XU1 I could find on the internet is a car! lol I don't think that's what you meant!

:U you got that right, Bunnies have a real cheap range of electrical tools called XU1.They are ideal for power sanding etc and at under 20 bucks what the heck. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st July 2009, 01:39 AM
I think they're a flat navy blue plastic with white writing on the side, Hughie?

Grumpy John
21st July 2009, 10:42 AM
The XU1 range of tools are not always in stock, they are a promotional range. You'll see heaps of them leading up to Fathers Day and around Christmas time, the perfect prezzie for the kids to give dad, too bad he wanted a DeWalt or Millwauki :doh:. Apparently Aldi also sell some cheap electric tools.

hughie
21st July 2009, 10:50 AM
I think they're a flat navy blue plastic with white writing on the side

Yep thats the ones, so cheap I could not by the plastic here for whole price they are selling them for. :U

PAH1
21st July 2009, 12:00 PM
I think that the title of this thread has been used before, however the content is different. My wife thought the comment about bleeding on the finish was appropriate, quilters beleive the same when a needle goes through the finger!!!

Power sanding helps, however it is not the answer to everything. Being able to reverse the direction of the rotation of rotation helps a very great deal. Mike Mahoney believes that you should reverse the direction after every grit, that is probably a bit of overkill but if you are having trouble with a spot it can work. Another bit to watch is both harmonic distortion (the speed you spin it at distorts the bowl and can "hide" a pocket in a bowl from sanding) and thermal distortion which can make sanding some bits difficult.

TTIT
21st July 2009, 12:11 PM
.............. Another bit to watch is both harmonic distortion (the speed you spin it at distorts the bowl and can "hide" a pocket in a bowl from sanding) and thermal distortion which can make sanding some bits difficult.Dunno about the harmonics bit but there is definitely something that causes some spots to be missed no matter how long you keep sanding with the piece spinning. I often just bite the bullet and sand the tough spot by hand - good old back and forth elbow grease gets rid of a bad patch a lot quicker than you would think :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
21st July 2009, 06:29 PM
I don't think my lathe will turn in the other direction. :(

Calm
21st July 2009, 06:34 PM
I don't think my lathe will turn in the other direction. :(

Just stand on the other side then:2tsup::D:D:D:doh::doh:

Cheers

ElizaLeahy
21st July 2009, 06:49 PM
:huh:

weisyboy
21st July 2009, 06:56 PM
very funny david.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st July 2009, 07:01 PM
For little boxes where you can't easily get your hand in (I've lost count of how many times I've tried sanding with a little scrap of paper barely held between the tips of two fingers. :sigh:) then you can cut up old rubber thongs (the flip-flop kind :rolleyes:) and wrap the sandpaper about that.

Ed Reiss
21st July 2009, 09:59 PM
:huh:

...you know, just walk around to the other side:D

ElizaLeahy
21st July 2009, 10:39 PM
you can cut up old rubber thongs (the flip-flop kind :rolleyes:)

I don't have that kind....

:p

thefixer
21st July 2009, 11:05 PM
...you know, just walk around to the other side:D

I always sand from the back of the lathe. It feels more comfortable to hold the paper on the top of the turned piece with the timber spinning away rather than from underneath as in the conventional method. Probably got a lot to do with being a "south paw". I can't sand inside a bowl or any hollow form with my right hand so I go around the other side of the lathe and sand with my left. "Conventional" is just another word for "Normal". So, what is normal anyway?

Cheers
Shorty

tea lady
21st July 2009, 11:49 PM
I often just bite the bullet and sand the tough spot by hand - good old back and forth elbow grease gets rid of a bad patch a lot quicker than you would think :2tsup: That's what I do. You only need to get the fluff off the top of the end grain, then its all tickety boo.:cool:

PAH1
22nd July 2009, 10:42 AM
Dunno about the harmonics bit but there is definitely something that causes some spots to be missed no matter how long you keep sanding with the piece spinning. I often just bite the bullet and sand the tough spot by hand - good old back and forth elbow grease gets rid of a bad patch a lot quicker than you would think :2tsup:

I once made some bowls from turpentine, they were thin when finally finished and were interesting to sand. You could actually see the speed distortion in the rims, speeding up and slowing down the lathe altered the wave form on the rim. Just slowing down the lathe generally fixes this one. I agree about the hand sanding, there are times you just have to do it. It is also a lot less detectable than most would think.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2009, 05:30 PM
One good with hand-sanding is, if you sand along the grain, you don't usually need to go down to as fine a grit as you do when power-sanding - which is usually across the grain.

When hand-sanding I can often stop at 320! :2tsup:

tea lady
22nd July 2009, 05:45 PM
I usually only sand the little rough bits smooth then go back to having the lathe on. :shrug: I haven't done end grain bowls yet though. Tommorrow's project at 's. (Seein' everyone else is starting early.:p )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2009, 05:56 PM
There's a BIG difference between starting early and just... "practicing." :~

:p

weisyboy
22nd July 2009, 07:51 PM
I usually only sand the little rough bits smooth then go back to having the lathe on. :shrug: I haven't done end grain bowls yet though. Tommorrow's project at 's. (Seein' everyone else is starting early.:p )

cheater:U

ElizaLeahy
22nd July 2009, 08:26 PM

grrrrrrr...

not fair

:(

tea lady
22nd July 2009, 10:58 PM
grrrrrrr...

not fair

:(I promise I'll only use his lathe. :whistling: My tail stock doesn't line up AT ALL. Waaaaaaaaaaaay out. :rolleyes: His chisels prolly won't help much. :doh: And I won't ask him many questions. :D Usually I know I'm doing something a little "unorthodox" by the way he wanders over looking intently, and raises up on his toes. The effort it takes for him not to say anything is immense. I then have to make him a cup of tea. :D