PDA

View Full Version : Spin tops for worthy causes

jefferson
20th July 2009, 01:18 AM
I like spin tops.

No expensive outlay with the wood - and the kids in trouble like them.

If any of you out there have any spare, send a PM to me and I'll find them a good home for them.

Here's a few from today:

Cooktown Ironwood, 13mm diameter, some redgum and the larger piece is Murray Pine. They may not look nice, but they all spin well.

Ad de Crom
20th July 2009, 05:29 AM
Nice Jeff, I made these things years ago for my grandkids, don't know if some of these things are in use, probably not. But I know they had a lot of fun with the spinning tops.
Had a wonderful time in England, typical English weather, some rain, very windy, but overall it was not bad. Big pints of good English beer and a lot of fun with English folks.
Cheers, Ad

Ed Reiss
20th July 2009, 11:47 AM
Jeff...they look very good, plus your getting in a lot of practice:2tsup:.....wait now, you are the one doing these - not or David standing in are they???? :o:D

ElizaLeahy
20th July 2009, 11:54 AM
I can always do more. Zoe just took all the ones I had made to Sydney and gave to her relatives (they were a big hit appearently!)

Mum wanted me to make some for 2 children, but when I found out that they were only 3 years old I said that maybe it wasn't the best idea, as they can be a choke hazzard.

13mm, are you sure? That's TINY!

What's the good cause? I don't mind making them, mostly I make them to sell at market, but I would be happy to give away to a good cause, as long as it wasn't to tiny kids who could choke. I was also thinking of kids in hospitals, but then wasn't sure that timber was the best thing for them to be playing with, don't know.

PS that Murry pine looks nice!

artme
20th July 2009, 12:35 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

jefferson
20th July 2009, 02:38 PM
Jeff...they look very good, plus your getting in a lot of practice:2tsup:.....wait now, you are the one doing these - not or David standing in are they???? :o:D

All mine, Ed. Easy, easy to do and good practice for beginners too. :2tsup:

13mm, are you sure? That's TINY!

What's the good cause?

Alright, Eliza, you got me. Ran the calipers over it and it's 19.2mm. So I was a little out. Not for long though - with turn one very soon at 13mm or less.

The cause is not an established charity. One of the head doctors in town does a lot of work with troubled kids and the tops are always good ice-breakers.

nalmo
20th July 2009, 06:36 PM
Made a few myself about a fortnight ago and sent them to a great nephew (32 yr old) and great-nephew (2 1/2 yr old). I'm not sure who was entertained more.

weisyboy
20th July 2009, 07:27 PM
i would be happy to send some along. i enjoy making them and have got quite efieient at it 30 seconds each. :2tsup:

jefferson
20th July 2009, 07:43 PM
i would be happy to send some along. i enjoy making them and have got quite efieient at it 30 seconds each. :2tsup:

Carl, that would be great. I'll PM you soon.

Ken W also has a use for them:

Tops for Helen (Ken's wife and KQC) would have to be large enough for children to decorate with paint etc, very plain wood as well.
They would go to Country Hope, and kids with cancer would use them as a craft project.<o></o>
<o></o>
So anyone else out there with time on your hands..... :2tsup:

I stuffed up the finials on one of Ken W's boxes that I was hoping to copy today. So I turned a couple (3 in fact, one disappeared into the shavings and I couldn't find it).

The smallest one is 10.4mm. It spins well too.

weisyboy
20th July 2009, 07:47 PM
the little ones spin best.

RETIRED
20th July 2009, 08:27 PM
Their website is here.

http://www.countryhope.com.au/pages/about.html

ElizaLeahy
20th July 2009, 08:32 PM
The little ones do spin best. Short handle that is straight up and down is best. My top tester (Zoe) has told me no fancy handles, which made me sad because I wanted to do them like fancy finials.

Larger ones go best if they have a handle - as I found out today!