PDA

View Full Version : Negative Rep Points

LineLefty
16th July 2004, 04:43 PM
I think the rep points a a pretty good idea. Not for a tally, but for giving private encouragement and or criticism.

I've just given my first NEGATIVE Rep point, has anyone else given of recieved a negative point? Don't need details, just wondering.

glenn k
16th July 2004, 05:02 PM
I gave a negative point once

stephenmeddings
16th July 2004, 05:20 PM
Question: Is that where you give a bad or terrible under "rate this thread" :confused:

Gumby
16th July 2004, 05:23 PM
I got a bluey from someone for being helpful !!! Couldn't work it out. He thanked me as well, must have been a mistake. What colour are the disapprove ones ?

Sturdee
16th July 2004, 05:30 PM
Having made an issue about the original anonimity of the points system I don't give negative points but will readily give positive points if the contribution to the board deserves it. And in that case I identify myself and give the reason for it.

If there is an issue, or post, I feel strongly critical about I make my view known in open forum.

But sometimes this has incurred me the wrath :eek: of others and I have received a few raspberries.

Peter.

Sturdee
16th July 2004, 05:34 PM
I got a bluey from someone for being helpful !!! Couldn't work it out. He thanked me as well, must have been a mistake. What colour are the disapprove ones ?

If it is blue it means that the giver does not have enough points to issue a valid one. It is not counted.

A valid disapproval one is red.

Peter.

Wood Borer
16th July 2004, 05:48 PM
I haven't given any negative ones yet. I've given heaps of good ones and I have received many good ones which are always appreciated.

Like Sturdee I normally make my feelings quite clear and I do it publicly.

- Wood Borer

Christopha
16th July 2004, 05:52 PM
there you all go.... I just gave you all a 'tick' (or was it an elephant stamp??) just because you are reaaallllly niiiice.... except for Sturdee, I got a knock back for trying to give you one mate..... the system has it in for you!

Sturdee
16th July 2004, 05:57 PM
... except for Sturdee, I got a knock back for trying to give you one mate..... the system has it in for you!

I know it's a mongrel !!!, eh :rolleyes:

Peter.

Sturdee
16th July 2004, 06:02 PM
Question: Is that where you give a bad or terrible under "rate this thread" :confused:

Stephen,

Have a look under the FAQ section dealing with reputation points and all will be revealed.

Peter.

stephenmeddings
16th July 2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks Peter,

Already looking at it. Didn't think to look before I asked :rolleyes:

Stephen

Rocker
16th July 2004, 06:18 PM
I have to admit I don't give out rep points, or want to receive them. I feel they are irrelevant to what this forum is about. Disapproval points can only be a provocation to pointless quarrelling. I come here to learn from people who know more than I do, to provide helpful information where I can, or sometimes just to socialize with fellow woodworkers. I enjoy spending time here, and don't need to be told whether I have done well or badly.

Rocker

craigb
16th July 2004, 06:21 PM
I think the rep points a a pretty good idea. Not for a tally, but for giving private encouragement and or criticism.

I've just given my first NEGATIVE Rep point, has anyone else given of recieved a negative point? Don't need details, just wondering.

Why, are your having second thoughts about it ?

just wondering

Gumby
16th July 2004, 06:30 PM
:D
If it is blue it means that the giver does not have enough points to issue a valid one. It is not counted.

A valid disapproval one is red.

Peter.

ta Pete (got my combo planer/thicknesser today :D )

bitingmidge
16th July 2004, 07:00 PM
Is this the monthly Rep Points Thread?:D

Given Red ones? - Only one as a controlled experiment with Shane's knowledge! (Maybe he could use his super-moderator's power to reverse it!)

To anyone else? Definitely NOT (although in the early confusion it seems that the negative default stayed after Shane's so if you got one from me accidentally please let me know and I'll reverse it!)

I've had one which wasn't earned under the circumstance, but that would make up for the dozen or show I deserved! ;)

I like the idea of the positive ones, dish 'em out when the post has been helpful (or makes me laugh - which a lot of serious ones do!), but can't say that my own behaviour has been modified because of them!

On the other hand, I think issuing negative points privately is a particularly gutless and non-constructive pastime. If I disagree so strongly with someone that I think they deserve a serve, I'll give it to 'em in public where they can defend themselves, and where I can judge how far off the mark I may be!! (Same goes if I get one, don't expect it to stay between you and me!! :p :p :p )

At the end of the day I'm here to get help, help if I can:eek: even if that is simply to provide a different point of view, have fun, and if someone else gets a kick out of that, well isn't that fantastic too!!

:D :D :D

Hope I die laughing,

P

craigb
16th July 2004, 10:07 PM
On the other hand, I think issuing negative points privately is a particularly gutless and non-constructive pastime. If I disagree so strongly with someone that I think they deserve a serve, I'll give it to 'em in public where they can defend themselves, and where I can judge how far off the mark I may be!! (Same goes if I get one, don't expect it to stay between you and me!! :p :p :p )

At the end of the day I'm here to get help, help if I can:eek: even if that is simply to provide a different point of view, have fun, and if someone else gets a kick out of that, well isn't that fantastic too!!

Hope I die laughing,

P

Nice one Midge. :)

I'd like your command of the language.

Hovo, have your mob let me down ? It surely couldn't be my fault could it? :p

Craig (who's never given a red one)

Christopha
16th July 2004, 10:20 PM
please send me as many negative points as you can, I want to see what happens, will I be ejected for being a nasty pasty? Will have ALL of my posts deleted or will he just lock the thread in case someone enjoys themself too much? Will Neil insist on making me a "boss" again because I have acheived total scumdom? Will it make absolutely no difference whatsoever to anyone at all? (which is what I suspect will be the outcome)

edited to repare spelink

DavidG
16th July 2004, 11:57 PM
eh!

bitingmidge
17th July 2004, 07:26 AM
David,
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Ooooh....I suspected that! Very strange too, because I'm in the habit of writing an essay with each tick - no comment there?

That was me birfday and all!!! Hardly a day for handing out bad stuff!

On the assumption that it was you and it was a nasty red one, could you please PM me with the unmodified version so's I can track down the post?

In the meantime...one greenie to bring you back to square as soon as poss! (I have to spread some round first apparently).

Please accept my humblest apology for any negative stress caused!

Anyone else?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheeers,

P

Bob Willson
17th July 2004, 12:40 PM
I have only ever given out one red one and that was to Shane Watson. It was not for anything that he had said or done, I just thought that it was unfair that as a moderator he was given a full house of points without actually having to earn them. I wanted to see if it made a difference to his rating. It didn't, but it did to mine because he immediately returned the compliment. :)

Of late there has not been much movement in my reputation points either way so it looks as though it may be just a passing fad.

Cohuna
18th July 2004, 03:06 AM
Rocker,
I totally agree with your comments and motivation for being involved with this forum.

Cohuna

Shane Watson
18th July 2004, 08:48 AM
I have only ever given out one red one and that was to Shane Watson. It was not for anything that he had said or done, I just thought that it was unfair that as a moderator he was given a full house of points without actually having to earn them. I wanted to see if it made a difference to his rating. It didn't, but it did to mine because he immediately returned the compliment. :)

Mwahahahaha! Feel the wrath ;) :p ;) :p ;)

Seems most people use that excuse when giving me rep points. 'You got too many & you didn't earn them so take that!' :D hehehe.. Grain of salt..

Actually back when you gave me the point Bob, the points system was still annonoymous, but having special super powers like us admin / mod super heros do, we were always able to see who gave what to us. Mind you I think it took us a couple of days to realise that you 'normal' folk couldn't... ;)

I take the whole thing as a bit of fun, not as some type of personal attack against me, of the two reds I have given they were both in jest (I trust you realise that Bob) Sure it got out of hand at first, but its settled down. From what I can see people are now using the system as it should be used.

Have fun people, lifes too short!

Christopha
19th July 2004, 01:57 PM
Thank you Bob, Paul, Zed and Ben, you have shown you are gooood blokes.... will the rest of you all please give me moreREDbrownie points, my reputation still seems tp be boringly up there..... Bugger! Come on you lot, RED BLOODY POINTS none of your nice, pretty bloody green things! Show what a pack of caring, sharing total mongrels you all can be.... Please

Wood Borer
19th July 2004, 02:05 PM
Christopha,

It won't let me give you anything, I must have given you a green one recently. Would a rude or impolite message suffice?

- Wood Borer

craigb
19th July 2004, 02:26 PM
Thank you Bob, Paul, Zed and Ben, you have shown you are gooood blokes.... will the rest of you all please give me moreREDbrownie points, my reputation still seems tp be boringly up there..... Bugger! Come on you lot, RED BLOODY POINTS none of your nice, pretty bloody green things! Show what a pack of caring, sharing total mongrels you all can be.... Please

I really nearly did, but then I remembered I don't give neg points :D

bitingmidge
19th July 2004, 02:59 PM
I really nearly did, but then I remembered I don't give neg points :D
Well I too was tempted, but of course I have to spread a lot of love around 'cause it's not enough time since the last greenie.

No red for you from me Mr Nasty guy,

P

HappyHammer
19th July 2004, 03:25 PM
I tried too Christopha but I also must have given you a greenie recently.

HH

silentC
19th July 2004, 03:34 PM
I had no trouble :D

Christopha
19th July 2004, 07:44 PM
Thank you all for being trying .... oops I mean just 'trying'. Any disgusting, rude, mean and damned insulting remarks gratefully received in lieu of points.... have at me chaps!!! :p :p :p

Caliban
19th July 2004, 08:00 PM
Nice one Midge. :)

I'd like your command of the language.

Hovo, have your mob let me down ? It surely couldn't be my fault could it? :p

Craig (who's never given a red one)

Craig
How the hell did I get dragged into this mess?
What exactly do you mean by "my mob"?
Spelling Nazis or school teachers? Is there a difference?

outback
19th July 2004, 08:17 PM
Nobody likes me enough to get greenies, and I ain't a biggnuff boy to give reddies :(

i fink i'll just go over to 've corner an' cry :(

Nobody likes me, everbody hates me, fink I'll go eat worms
dah dah dada dah ...........................................

Wayne Davy
19th July 2004, 09:22 PM
Thank you all for being trying .... oops I mean just 'trying'. Any disgusting, rude, mean and damned insulting remarks gratefully received in lieu of points.... have at me chaps!!! :p :p :p
Stop.....er.. Christopha, you and I have always had a 'Trying' relationship it seems ;)

Tried to give you a red one just after you posted (because I am such a nice guy and nearly always do what others ask of me) but, like the other guys, the system would not let me. Cannot remember when I gave you a Greenie but looks like I'll have to wait a bit to give you what you ask (or deserve hehe).

Christopha
19th July 2004, 09:47 PM
Keep 'em coming me nasty litlle darlins'.......... hit me low and hit me quick, hit me with your nasty quips! :cool:

craigb
20th July 2004, 10:20 AM
Craig
What exactly do you mean by "my mob"?
Spelling Nazis or school teachers? Is there a difference?

School teachers of course. You're a reformed spelling nasty aren't you? :D

Craig

Caliban
20th July 2004, 02:36 PM
School teachers of course. You're a reformed spelling nasty aren't you? :D

Craig
that's right buddy boy, and can't you see the decline of spelink standerds on thees boreds since I stopped being helpful? :D

Kev Y.
20th July 2004, 03:08 PM
My question is:

"If we give christopha negative points because he wants/likes them , does this make them POSITVE points?"

Kev :cool: :rolleyes: :p

Wood Borer
20th July 2004, 05:54 PM
Brudda,

The fumes and fields of the valley must have positively energised your thought process.

You are right, that scoundrel Christopha wants to be pleased with red points and most of us feel bad about giving red points. This enhances his enjoyment even more he has the characteristics of a maniac.

The question is of course - how do we deal with him? Give him Greenies?

- Wood Borer

Christopha
20th July 2004, 06:16 PM
My question is:

"If we give christopha negative points because he wants/likes them , does this make them POSITVE points?"

Kev :cool: :rolleyes: :p
Barsteward! You have deescovered my strange personality quirk! OK, OK, please whip and beat me too.....

ozwinner
20th July 2004, 06:38 PM
Barsteward! You have deescovered my strange personality quirk! OK, OK, please whip and beat me too.....
Heyyyyyyyyyy.

Get in line, Im first on the list for a whipen. :(

Al

Caliban
20th July 2004, 07:17 PM
The masochist pleaded with the sadist, "hit me, hit me"
The sadist of course replied, "No".
Is there a message here for us, if not for ozwinner?
Christopha, as a lowly pharmacy assistant, doesn't rate a mention, let alone a red square.

Christopha
27th July 2004, 01:23 PM
Oh, Pharmacy assistant and Polish Demonstrator and I'm not from Poland at all...... now come on you bunch of misbegotten, Boofheaded, halitosis ridden mongrels..... GIVE ME RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wood Borer
27th July 2004, 01:38 PM
There's tons of nice reds where you come from Christopha.

If you are talking about red reputation points you will have to be more abusive and nasty - what you gave us then fell just shy of a compliment! :p

- Wood Borer

outback
27th July 2004, 01:41 PM
Due to the overwhelming show of support after my suckup, I believe I can now giver Sto... er Christopha what he wants.

What you need to realise with him and other masochists, is to give them what they want (pain or red jelly beans)gives them pleasure, to deny them that pleasure must surely give them extra pain, and a higher llever of enjoyment.

So just because I can, (I think), and because I don't want him thinkin' I like in an unhealthy way, I'll give'im a big red smack! :eek:

outback
27th July 2004, 01:43 PM
*@&%#@ board won't let me give him anything!

Christopha
27th July 2004, 04:52 PM
It's them flamin' ugly, sanctimonious, prudish, short pizzled, crosseyed moderatering ferrets; Neil the nauseous, the righteous and Shane the short arsed shagger of shearers cooks that are so bloody bent on niceness!!!! They are stopping me from attaining my true position at the very bottom of the pile.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! That feels much better... come and get me you lot NYAH NYAH!!

RETIRED
27th July 2004, 08:09 PM
Did that getya?

Christopha
27th July 2004, 11:14 PM
What a feeble try! Have another go you cavedwelling driver of undersized woodworking machinery........ I dare ya, have a go go on.......... :D

Kev Y.
27th July 2004, 11:19 PM
Christopha, I think you had better go take a little blue pill and lie down for a few weeks!!

even better go knock the top off of one of those bottles of RED medicine..

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Neil
28th July 2004, 01:19 AM
:mad: There ya go Christopha - How do ya like them apples.

:D Hehehehehehehe

Bob Willson
28th July 2004, 04:55 AM
Is that the best you can do? Come on you scum sucking bottom dwellers. It's only a flesh wound. Come back and fight me you cowards. :)

Christopha (The black knight)

Christopha
28th July 2004, 10:22 AM
Jeez guys.... Now I know yers all truly lubs me..... look at that glorious red!! Youse is a wunderful buncha mongrels!

Grunt
28th July 2004, 07:34 PM
They always used to say that it is better to be red than dead.

ozwinner
28th July 2004, 08:34 PM

Its a win win situation, Stoppers is both dead, and red. :D

Al

Caliban
29th July 2004, 09:52 PM

Chris seems to have reds everywhere, even under the bed,
Look out for Senator McCarthy, Chris.

The rest of you better watch it too, it's guilt by association. ;)

Termite
30th July 2004, 10:37 AM
This thread has just made me, once again, glad and proud to live in the land of the greatest bunch of irreverent bastards that I've ever been lucky enough to be associated with. Thanks folks, for helping to make life a little less serious.
Sincerest regards to all of you.
Humble Termite

Sturdee
4th August 2004, 07:52 PM
please send me as many negative points as you can, I want to see what happens...........Will it make absolutely no difference whatsoever to anyone at all? (which is what I suspect will be the outcome)

Christopha - having achieved your aim of all red points you are in good company ---------the company of Kenmill :eek:

Alas Christopha is not unique after all. :D :D :D

Peter.

Christopha
4th August 2004, 08:54 PM
I AM unique..............
just the same as everyone else is.......... :p

Wood Borer
5th August 2004, 02:35 PM
Goodness Christopha,

What has happened to your red dots? Does Blue suit you?

- Wood Borer

Bob Willson
5th August 2004, 02:44 PM
I notice that he also gone from being a "Black knight" to a "Pink knight". Maybe that should be a "Pink night."

Whassup Neil don't you have any pink squares at your command? :)

Christopha
5th August 2004, 04:44 PM
It's that flamin' Neil bugga! He changed me dots from red to blue, I saw red then and we had a blue..... :mad: then the lowdown son of a lama changed me from the Black Knight to a Grey Knight so I threatened to beat him black and blue...... :mad:
I lost the blue so now I have two blues and cos I lost I am the girlie Pink Knight..... :o :o :o
Goodnight! :(

outback
5th August 2004, 04:53 PM
Strike me Pink! :p
It's a black day when a man's chosen colour is called into question! :eek:
You have no choice now but to dream of your blue heaven. :rolleyes:

Christopha (verb). Annoy, frustrate, but generally in a light hearted manner.

Caliban
5th August 2004, 08:00 PM
I told you senator Macarthy would get you Chris. Wasn't he the one who coined the phrase "pinky bastard". Perhaps Neil is Macarthy in drag. :eek:

Kris.Parker1
5th August 2004, 11:09 PM
I never have and probably never will give any negs.

Better not to say anything and be thought a fool than to say something and remove all doubt!

Wood Borer
6th August 2004, 07:17 PM
Gee Christopha,

Your Blueys are decreasing and Ken still has lots of lovely Reddies. Your true personality (nice bloke) is returning - good to see.

- Wood Borer