PDA

View Full Version : Another way to use up some scraps!

TTIT
21st July 2009, 12:59 PM
Always looking for ways to use up those little bits of odd species??? Our club got some business cards printed up to help get the word around and asked the members to come up with some holders to put on the counters of a few local businesses - so these are my contribution. I figure everyone knows at least one person in business that would appreciate a unique card holder :U

Dommo
21st July 2009, 01:12 PM
They look great TTIT, I am a newbie and looking for ideas, these will give me something to shoot for. Cheers Dommo

Sawdust Maker
21st July 2009, 01:27 PM
Nice
Idea stolen

Rum Pig
21st July 2009, 02:41 PM
What a great idea:2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
21st July 2009, 03:02 PM
Very cool use of scraps!!

RETIRED
21st July 2009, 03:29 PM
You cheese me off Vern.:D

ElizaLeahy
21st July 2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, idea stolen!

next time it's out I'll take a photo of the "rustic" one I made for my stall. Nothing as neat as them!

artme
21st July 2009, 05:49 PM
Another good idea. Waste not, want not.:2tsup::2tsup:

wm460
21st July 2009, 10:19 PM
Great idea.

Ed Reiss
21st July 2009, 10:20 PM
Neat :2tsup:

orraloon
21st July 2009, 10:56 PM
I'll steal that idea too. Gotta do something with the scrap bits. Don't know about the rest of you but I hate to throw out any bit of wood.
Regards
John

hughie
23rd July 2009, 02:10 PM
another good idea Vern, ta muchly :2tsup:

turnerted
23rd July 2009, 05:35 PM
TTIT

These look neet . How did you cut the slot in the centre bit .

Ted

gmack
23rd July 2009, 09:54 PM
TTIT, that is a great idea.
I am defintely going to make some of these.
I have some small offcuts of nicely figured cyprus.
Thanks for the idea.
Glenn

TTIT
23rd July 2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone :2tsup: and too - - - I think :C:;

TTIT

These look neet . How did you cut the slot in the centre bit .

TedI start with a square blank only a mil' or so bigger than the final diameter. Part in to the final diameter about 10mm in from each end leaving each end square. Turn the middle down to size and sand it then I run them over the tablesaw resting the flats on the table and the rip-fence. Once you have the slot big enough just dock the ends to length. You could do the same across a router table for a cleaner slot and you can also turn them long enough to get 2 or 3 card holders out of each. Hope that makes sense :shrug: It's pretty much the same process I use to make the cutter-carrier on my clingwrap dispensers here. (http://www.ttit.id.au/projects/dispenser/wrap-dispenser.htm)

RETIRED
24th July 2009, 12:04 AM
and too - - - I think :C:;Definitely Vern.:D

Ozkaban
27th July 2009, 05:11 PM
nice bit of effort. Willy definitely follow suit and steal the idea too...

thanks for sharing :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
27th July 2009, 05:14 PM
It's pretty much the same process I use to make the cutter-carrier on my clingwrap dispensers here. (http://www.ttit.id.au/projects/dispenser/wrap-dispenser.htm)

Wow - they're schmick cling wrap holders/cutters...:o

All that work for the wife to go "cool" and into the third drawer it goes :~

Cheers,
Dave

TTIT
28th July 2009, 03:44 PM
......All that work for the wife to go "cool" and into the third drawer it goes :~
Not exactly Dave - made to be used. :U The 'prototype' I made out of packing-pine about 14 years ago is still in daily use by my daughter and the first 'round' one I made from Rose mahogany is still in daily use by myself. Looks OK sitting on the bench (would have to suit the decor I suppose :shrug: ) and waaaaayyyy more convenient than the those idiotic cardboard boxes the stuff comes in :~. Even won an award with one and sold it in the Orbost exhibition last year :o

Ozkaban
28th July 2009, 04:27 PM
Not exactly Dave - made to be used. :U The 'prototype' I made out of packing-pine about 14 years ago is still in daily use by my daughter and the first 'round' one I made from Rose mahogany is still in daily use by myself. Looks OK sitting on the bench (would have to suit the decor I suppose :shrug: ) and waaaaayyyy more convenient than the those idiotic cardboard boxes the stuff comes in :~. Even won an award with one and sold it in the Orbost exhibition last year :o

I couldn't agree more - they look great, and you're absolutely right about the carboard boxes. It is one of those things where a little art is introduced to something very mundane and the results are great! I'm just amazed at the effort :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

gmack
28th July 2009, 05:10 PM
Hello Vern,

Your web site is really well done.
Your work speaks for itself.....very very nice.

Out of curioisity, what finish do you use for your work?

Regards Glenn

skot
28th July 2009, 08:00 PM
TTIT,
Is gluing sufficient for attaching the ends to the centre piece with the Business Card holder

TTIT
28th July 2009, 11:14 PM
..............Out of curioisity, what finish do you use for your work?

Regards GlennSmall stuff on the lathe - Ubeaut Shellawax and EEE (of course:;). Bigger stuff - Danish oil - unless it's oily or very porous timber in which case I use Minwax Wipe-on poly.

TTIT,
Is gluing sufficient for attaching the ends to the centre piece with the Business Card holderI certainly hope so :B:;:U

skot
2nd August 2009, 01:08 PM
Vern,
I finished a Card Holder for my brother's Mecanical business..I tried to make the ends look like car wheels

Thanks for the idea

Ozkaban
2nd August 2009, 02:14 PM
nice one :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

TTIT
2nd August 2009, 11:14 PM
Very cool Scott :cool::2tsup:. . . . maybe some ebonizing and a tread pattern on the next one :;

Wayne Blanch
8th August 2009, 06:09 PM
Great idea Vern, consider it stolen.... er liberated.... er borrowed:D
Thanks