PDA

View Full Version : Queen Ebony - info and Garage sale info!!!

ElizaLeahy
23rd July 2009, 03:32 PM
I went to visit Brian at Sitco today. If you have been to any of the woodworking shows you migth have come across him - or his timber.

I've never seen so much ebony in one place! All sizes, all sorts - he had sticks of ebony as support sticks for airing other ebony!

This is queen, or Solomon ebony - it starts brown and goes black over time. You can speed up the process by putting it in a container with some amonia appearently (I'll try that when I get some amonia)

I took some photos, but my camera isn't all that crash hot, and it was inside a wear house.

Talk about DENSE!!! No, not me. The wood! It's so hard (not difficult...) I made a hairstick to test it - and I haven't finished it yet. Taking me about 3 times as long, if not longer, to do the same amount of cutting. I think I'm going to have to sharpen tools again before I restart. Going to make great hairsticks because it will be the strongest timber I've ever used!

Now - info on their Garage sale. They are moving on the 1st August, so Brian said he will have a Garage sale at the premises where they are now at Bulimba (Brisbane) - there is a map here
http://www.sitcoaustralia.com.au/contact_us.php

I considered not telling you about it, and going there early on Wednesday and getting all the specials myself, but I couldn't live with myself. (I probably could have lived with myself)

Anyway, I've told you, I've given you contact details.

Oh yeah, they do lots of mailing orders as well. And it's not as expensive as African ebony by miles!!!

wheelinround
23rd July 2009, 03:42 PM
Got a piece from SWWS wish I'd got more

kdm
23rd July 2009, 04:10 PM
You can speed up the process by putting it in a container with some amonia appearently (I'll try that when I get some amonia)

I have some fuming at the moment. In the photo it is sitting on the piece of wood from which the blank was cut which I've sanded to the same grit as the turned parts for comparison.

It has been fuming for two days so far, I'll leave it a little longer and see how it changes before finishing it and making up the pen. I'm just using cloudy ammonia from Woolies.

dai sensei
23rd July 2009, 04:32 PM
So, where are they moving to?

ElizaLeahy
23rd July 2009, 07:16 PM
Moorooka, not sure of exact address.

KDM - you have to turn it to the finished shape before "airing" it. Only the outside that is exposed to the amonia will be darkened, so you will cut off what you have darkened already.

I phoned Brian back because I had forgotten to ask him how long to leave them in with the amonia. He said a few weeks, but turn them regularly so that there are no lighter patches where it has sat.

Easy enough for pen blanks - and you can suspend them. Slightly harder for other things, because putting it back on the lathe for adding a polish at the end (like "Glow") can be problematical.

But for pens it should be great.

I think for everything else I'll do all the finish on the lathe before I take it off, and then just let it darken naturally, with age.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd July 2009, 07:51 PM
Eliza, is it time that darkens it, or exposure to UV light?

ie. will sitting it on a window sill that sees good natural light hurry things along, like it does with Purpleheart, etc?

I have some fuming at the moment. In the photo it is sitting on the piece of wood from which the blank was cut which I've sanded to the same grit as the turned parts for comparison.

I gather they've already been turned to size and by "finishing" you simply mean laying down a coat of CA/Shellawax/whatever and assembling?

I'm curious as to just how deeply the fuming affects the wood. :think:

ElizaLeahy
23rd July 2009, 08:05 PM
Skew, I don't know. Brian indicated that it was time, but maybe UV helps it along?

Sawdust Maker
23rd July 2009, 08:12 PM
Eliza
you are my new best friend :kiss:
can you pick me up a stick or two? :rolleyes:

ElizaLeahy
23rd July 2009, 08:20 PM
What size? For pens?

kdm
23rd July 2009, 08:47 PM
I gather they've already been turned to size and by "finishing" you simply mean laying down a coat of CA/Shellawax/whatever and assembling?

Yes, not sure I'll even risk Eee!!

I'd guess not deeply at all but I'll fume a scrap bit and have a look!

brendan stemp
24th July 2009, 12:40 PM
I used it to do these pepper mills. I combined it with banksia pods. I like the stuff. One of the strongest timbers I've ever come across, great for spindle work. I would avoid do anymore hollow forms out of it.

ElizaLeahy
24th July 2009, 12:48 PM
They are beautiful!

eisbaer
24th July 2009, 02:22 PM
when does the sale start eliza? Thinking about heading up there on saturday if it's on already. I tried calling them earlier but no answer. Not even sure if they're there on saturdays.

ElizaLeahy
24th July 2009, 03:36 PM
The sale is Wednesday - Yes they are open tomorrow, I rang and checked. I'll be going there tomorrow to pick up some things - might meet you there! :)

eisbaer
24th July 2009, 04:06 PM
i wonder if i can convince them to do sale prices tomorrow :)

ElizaLeahy
24th July 2009, 07:19 PM
Brian said that he is more then happy to post anywhere in Australia or overseas. He does a lot of orders that way. Their website isn't very informative, but it has contact details!

http://www.sitcoaustralia.com.au/contact_us.php

KenW
24th July 2009, 07:23 PM
Skew, I don't know. Brian indicated that it was time, but maybe UV helps it along?
Eliza, use vinegar and steelwool mix to ebonize this wood. Works instantly and stays black. I bought some of this wood when I was in Brisbane last year, and have been ebonizing this way since.

ElizaLeahy
24th July 2009, 07:37 PM
Kewl :)

I'll have to start a new solution. My bottle fell down unnoticed into a box full of timber bits. They now smell funny, and the bottle is empty!

:doh:

RETIRED
24th July 2009, 10:43 PM
Kewl :)

I'll have to start a new solution. My bottle fell down unnoticed into a box full of timber bits. They now smell funny, and the bottle is empty!

:doh:You are not supposed to drink it.:wink:

Rattrap
25th July 2009, 10:34 AM
Any rough ideas on the price we can expect to pay for this Queen Ebony? I have a brother in Brisbane that i might send over there to pick me up some.

ElizaLeahy
25th July 2009, 10:43 AM
it's really hard to say exactly. Moving sale, I don't know what the prices might be. I think his "regular" prices are much less then African ebony though!

Here is one example of his regular prices

75 x 75 : $84-37 per L/m + GST
50 x 50 : $37-50 per L/m + GST

Does that help?

dai sensei
25th July 2009, 11:54 AM
Heading up there today, he is open till 5pm, with STAR and GAWDELPUS to pick up some more :rolleyes:

eisbaer
25th July 2009, 12:30 PM
my plan was to go today but got caught cleaning the house :( leave some for me guys. :)

ElizaLeahy
25th July 2009, 01:27 PM
Heading up there today, he is open till 5pm, with STAR and GAWDELPUS to pick up some more :rolleyes:

Damn damn damn damn!!!!!!!!

Wish I'd know, I would have gone at the same time!!! I've gone and come back already :(

Rattrap
25th July 2009, 02:17 PM
it's really hard to say exactly. Moving sale, I don't know what the prices might be. I think his "regular" prices are much less then African ebony though!

Here is one example of his regular prices

75 x 75 : $84-37 per L/m + GST
50 x 50 : $37-50 per L/m + GST

Does that help?

Sure does Eliza, thankyou. I think i'll send my brother in on Wednesday - that is if u guys don't snap up all the ebony before then! :U:U

Rattrap
25th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Just gave them a quick call, seems like they have had a veritable horde of forum members racing in to try out this timber. Maybe you should try for a commission Eliza. lol.
Heres a couple of prices Brian gave me;
120mm cubed - $25.90
200 x 200 x 50 - $30.
Love to see some pics of the timber you all have been picking up.

kdm
25th July 2009, 03:19 PM
Well I've finished the pen after 4 days of fuming (the wood not me!). It is pictured below along with a photo of pen I made a little while ago with the same timber but without the fuming.

dai sensei
25th July 2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry we missed you Eliza :-.

We all scored some of the smaller boards, suitable for pens, boxes and pool cues all around 1.5m long. I also scored some of the larger 100x90 for pepper grinders, boxes etc. He has plenty still left - like heaps.

The stuff I bought at the WWW show earlier this year is already much darker than this stuff, so I have no doubt it will darken as it seasons. Most of this stuff will sit around the shed for years before I use it :rolleyes:

After the buy-up we went for lunch at a local yuppi burger bar. Best sweat chilli chicken burger I've had in a while. Great day with great company :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
25th July 2009, 06:50 PM
I can't believe you went to lunch without me on Oxford St - I'm so upset now!!!

:tears:

dai sensei
25th July 2009, 07:06 PM
You'll have to call in next time your down the coast and I'll make you a coffee to make up :U The others are only a phone call away

ElizaLeahy
25th July 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm never down the coast. If I got "coast" I have to go up - because that's where my mother lives.

But the next time you have a get together I promise that I will come too.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th July 2009, 07:40 PM
Just gave them a quick call, seems like they have had a veritable horde of forum members racing in to try out this timber.

:rotfl:

Shouldn't have been unexpected, eh wot?

wheelinround
26th July 2009, 12:57 PM
You could always use Urine its amonia

issatree
27th July 2009, 05:22 AM
Hey People,
Don't forget to keep some of the Shavings, of the Q/E for the Ladies who Dye Wool. I just use a plastic shopping bag, & write on a tag, & put it int the Shavings, so they know what they are using.
Osage Orange is one of their favourites.
I'm not sure that you may know, but our Army Khaki Uniforms came from O/Orange Dye.
Regards,
issatree.

SitCo Australia
27th July 2009, 04:19 PM
Exposer to oxygen is the main cause of darkening.
Some timbers go grey, some go to a dark red colour, some goes purple and others like Queen Ebony goes Dark brown to a black like colour

It is called oxidisation. When sealing the timber, it will still darken over time, but it will take longer than usual.

By sitting it on a window seal is not a good idea, it will definately crack or have surface checking . My reccomendation is by suspending it in a sealed that as stated before with ammonia. Allow th fumes to react with the timber to speed the oxidisation

Hope you enjoy working with it :2tsup:

Brian

Eliza, is it time that darkens it, or exposure to UV light?

ie. will sitting it on a window sill that sees good natural light hurry things along, like it does with Purpleheart, etc?

SitCo Australia
27th July 2009, 04:23 PM
9-17 Lucy street, Moorooka Qld. I will add the address on the website
Brian

dai sensei
27th July 2009, 06:23 PM
Cool, a little but closer :D