PDA

View Full Version : Diagonal dado? jig for Triton

glenn k
17th July 2004, 01:39 PM
I have already posted this but I could not edit the title so I redid the whole thing.
I'm sorry it's a long time since I was at tech school and I can't think of what this joint is called. A diagonal dado?
Well any way I have built a couple of shelves using square sections on the corners with half the diagonal bit on the inside removed. Got the idea from plans from the show that Shirley (from Skyhooks) used to have.

Well I decided seeing my first one had 7 shelves that I would build a gig, here it is.
What are the joints called?
Is there an easy way to glue these together with out using screws or nails?
I had trouble with the last one and it only had 3 shelves, the one with 7 was a nightmare.

Gumby
17th July 2004, 03:35 PM
That's a very neat looking workshop ;)

Ivan in Oz
17th July 2004, 04:30 PM
That's a very neat looking workshop ;)

GUMBY,

You're correct.
It looks not unlike mine Hisszz :p :p :p

Count

Sturdee
17th July 2004, 05:21 PM
Is there an easy way to glue these together with out using screws or nails?
I had trouble with the last one and it only had 3 shelves, the one with 7 was a nightmare.
Glenn

Probably the easiest way to clamp it is with a belt or rope clamp. Tie a piece of rope losely around the unit and with a bit of dowel twist it around and around untill the rope tightens and clamps the joint together. Then keep the tension by pushing the dowell under a shelf.

Another way, on the assumption that the sides of the unit is open, is to use ordinary bar clamps and clamp two diagonal opposite square sections together using small cut ofs of your jig.

BTW good to see a Mk3 being put to good use.

Peter.