PDA

View Full Version : MC900 / MC1100 speed selector lever

Woodwould
24th July 2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/picture.php?albumid=286&pictureid=2662 Does anyone else find the speed selector lever on their MC900 or MC1100 intrusive when turning up close to the headstock? Has anyone successfully modified theirs to situate the lever out of the way?

hughie
24th July 2009, 12:03 PM
[QUOT
E=http://www.woodworkforums.com/picture.php?albumid=286&pictureid=2662Woodwould;1002472] Does anyone else find the speed selector lever on their MC900 or MC1100 intrusive when turning up close to the headstock? Has anyone successfully modified theirs to situate the lever out of the way?
[/QUOTE]

I did not on mine but I have old Toolmac which is the same thing and the previous owner bent half the selector lever at right angles to the head stock.

Rookie
24th July 2009, 02:59 PM
I have the Jet 1236 which is pretty much the same, and yes, the lever is a PITA when on high speed turning close to the headstock. I just put up with it but would be interested in hearing any remedies.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2009, 05:57 PM
I don't have a problem at max speed, but at around 3/4 speed I do when I'm working up close to the back of a faceplate. (With a chuck, I have enough clearance.)

I simply raise the tool-rest higher and work with the tool held flatter... and at about the 1 o'clock position on the work piece instead of the more usual 2 o'clock spot.

If that makes sense?

Woodwould
24th July 2009, 06:06 PM
That's basically what I've been doing, but it's such a glaring faux pas for a mass-produced machine that's been around for so long.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2009, 06:22 PM
It's not the worst aspect of the MC-900 clones by a long shot.

Worse are the standard positioning of the motor - although some mfrs mount them "backwards" to avoid this problem - and the lack of accurate, positive detentes in the head positioning system.

Even the best made MC-900s need to be "jiggled" to bring the spurs back into alignment after turning outboard.

I agree that it's all a nuisance in such a long established design, but in reality if a mfr addressed these issues they'd also tack another zero on the price tag, moving them out of the "entry level" category. Which, really, is all they are...

Woodwould
24th July 2009, 06:36 PM
Very true. One of these alignment tools (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mrstool) would be handy for the MC900/1100 range.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2009, 06:47 PM
:yes:

I reckon they should threw one of those into the included starter kit, along with the knockout bar, spur drives, faceplate and that 'orrible pressed-plate spanner.

I've been meaning to buy one for myself but... well... short arms & deep pockets. :B

Woodwould
24th July 2009, 06:55 PM
:yes:

I reckon they should threw one of those into the included starter kit, along with the knockout bar, spur drives, faceplate and that 'orrible pressed-plate spanner.

I've been meaning to buy one for myself but... well... short arms & deep pockets. :B

I just emailed them to establish the cost of posting one down here; if you wanted to halve the postage costs, we could order one each.

thefixer
24th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Very true. One of these alignment tools (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mrstool) would be handy for the MC900/1100 range.

I can see that being useful to reposition the head stock after rotating it for outboard turning but generally there is so much lateral play in the tailstock of the MC1100 MC900 that as soon as you slide the tailstock back along the bed you will lose the alignment several degrees to either side. Unless you want to go down this track.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=93750&highlight=tia%3Bstock+woes

Cheers
Shorty

Woodwould
25th July 2009, 12:23 AM
I remember reading your great fix, but thankfully, my tailstock and bed are really not too bad.

Mulgabill
25th July 2009, 02:34 PM
Hey Woodwould!
I would be interested in the reply to your email regarding postage cost for this item and will keep watching this thread with interest.

Woodwould
25th July 2009, 03:43 PM
:doh: Skew PMed me and I've already ordered two for us and had notification the order has been processed. Sorry.

Maybe a few others will step up and you could join up with them. Postage for one is USD$29.30 and USD$34.15 for two.

Mulgabill
25th July 2009, 04:09 PM
:doh: Skew PMed me and I've already ordered two for us and had notification the order has been processed. Sorry.

Maybe a few others will step up and you could join up with them. Postage for one is USD$29.30 and USD$34.15 for two.

No problems Woodwould, We'll see what develops! That's a fair savings on postage.

Sawdust Maker
26th July 2009, 09:43 AM
Teknatool also offer the same or similar alignment tool
can't recall a price for you sorry

RETIRED
26th July 2009, 12:56 PM
can't recall a price for you sorrySo that's where I'd seen it before.:D

Ozkaban
26th July 2009, 10:21 PM
can't recall a price for you sorry

John Ewart used one when I did a course at Trend timbers and remember thinking they were pretty useful gadgets. Haven't seen them around locally though.

Found it on page 20 of the 2009 Teknatool catalogue.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/catalogue/NOVA_Catalogue.pdf

Called a "NOVA Acruline System"

Does anyone know a rough proce for these things locally? Might have to ring around tomorrow morning to check...

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
26th July 2009, 10:27 PM
:doh: questions answered...
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=&product_id=1107452430

will have to order on, methinks...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2009, 12:10 AM
Eep! :oo:

Considering the amount of time I spend browsing Jim's site... :doh:

Woodwould
27th July 2009, 12:16 AM

Eep? Damn and blast! (about as moderater-friendly as I dare). I looked on Jim's site thinking if anyone here would have them, he would. I obviously didn't look closely enough.

rodent
27th July 2009, 12:39 AM
I just put the jacobs chuck in the lathe with a pilot drill bit in it .:2tsup: Works every time .

issatree
27th July 2009, 05:05 AM
Hi all,
I really feel for all you Right Hander's, as Lefties don't have that problem.
I may have stated once before, that I believe The Lathe was made by a Left Hander for Left Handers.
We stand in the middle of The Lathe.
Think about it ???.
The idea of bending the Speed Arm seems a good thought.
Regards,
issatree.

Woodwould
27th July 2009, 08:39 AM
I just put the jacobs chuck in the lathe with a pilot drill bit in it .:2tsup: Works every time .

Is your "pilot drill bit" a #2 Morse taper bit and you grip the actual drill part in the chuck and use its taper to align the tailstock? I used to do this years ago when I had a bucket of Morse taper drills, but to buy a #2 morse taper drill bit would be vastly more expensive than one of these alignment tools.

Ozkaban
27th July 2009, 09:57 AM

Eep? Damn and blast! (about as moderater-friendly as I dare). I looked on Jim's site thinking if anyone here would have them, he would. I obviously didn't look closely enough.

As with everything, first thing is to know the name of what you're looking for. I couldn't find one until Sawdust Maker said they were sold by Teknatool, searched their catalogue and found the name of it. I've been through Jim's site a lot as well but never saw them. :2tsup:

Searching for "Acruline"is a lot more accurate than "2MT line up jobbie thing" :D

Cheers,
Dave

Woodwould
27th July 2009, 10:23 AM
That's where tags help; morse, taper, alignment, tool, etc. Ah well, hopefully now that they've come to the fore, Jim will sell some to other forumites now.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2009, 11:09 AM
Searching for "Acruline"is a lot more accurate than "2MT line up jobbie thing" :D

Ah. A man after my own heart.

Which reminds me, I need to refine the parameters of my latest search. :~

"One of them things like what my mate up the road has and no I don't mean his collection" just doesn't seem to cut it. :rolleyes:

Ozkaban
27th July 2009, 11:42 AM
"One of them things like what my mate up the road has and no I don't mean his collection"

Yup, that search will return results for exactly one of the words in there... :oo: