PDA

View Full Version : Glue for chopping boards.

muntar
18th July 2004, 12:08 AM
Hi all.

another newbie joins the forum!

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on appropriate glue types for kitchen chopping boards.

cheers,
muntar.

vsquizz
18th July 2004, 12:13 AM
Hi Muntar, Welcome. Awhile back I busted a glued up/laminated cutting board and copped the rath of SWMBO. I chased up the maker of the board (it came with the sink) and found he was using a PVA type glue. So it was out with the biscuits and some Saligna. I'm still alive.

I think if you search you should find more on this subject somewhere in the BB. If you worried about it use a Hide glue.

Cheers

Bauerbird
18th July 2004, 12:47 AM
Hi Muntar
I used an alphatic pva on a chopping board that is now 3 years old and its still going strong. Alphatic pva resists water better than your run of the mill white pva. Another alternative is to use an epoxy like Araldite but go for the 24 hour cure and not the 5 min.

cheers
john

Rowan
18th July 2004, 02:01 PM
Depends upon what sort of board u are making. Information I was given is that dont use PVA glue for end grain boards but its OK for the rest. Rationalle was that end grain boards need more cleaing as they soak up more "stuff" as a result they can soak up water and PVA is water soluable and over time it will weaken the joins. (I stand to be corrected if this is wrong). Thus u should use an epoxy.

PaulS
18th July 2004, 04:15 PM
Muntar..

Titebond II (or the new Titebond III)

see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=5866
and do a search.
There is great help in the archives.

Paul