PDA

View Full Version : Finials.

RETIRED
25th July 2009, 06:51 PM
I am mainly known for doing big stuff but I have been known to do some smaller intricate work as well.

The finial on the right is a copy of one (of 50) we did about 20 years ago for some church cabinet work. It stands about 250mm high. Timber is Cypress. Macrocarpa.

The one on the left is some doodling the other day for a little project I am working on. It is 300mm high with the spire 4mm thick. The timber is Jellutong.

The tool for scale is a Henry Taylor 1/2" Bowl gouge.

DJ’s Timber
25th July 2009, 06:59 PM
Nice work :H

That should shut the wowsers up for a while :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th July 2009, 07:01 PM
Where's the boxes to plonk under 'em? :?:D

dai sensei
25th July 2009, 07:09 PM
Cool :2tsup:

Where's the boxes to plonk under 'em? :?:D

For a 300mm finial, it wouldn't be one from 100x100x100 timber :U:U

echnidna
25th July 2009, 07:10 PM
neat, sweet, petite

ElizaLeahy
25th July 2009, 07:31 PM
I am mainly known for doing big stuff but I have been known to do some smaller intricate work as well.

The finial on the right is a copy of one (of 50) we did about 20 years ago for some church cabinet work. It stands about 250mm high. Timber is Cypress. Macrocarpa.

One of 50 - all the same? ARGH!!!!!!!!!

The one on the left is some doodling the other day for a little project I am working on. It is 300mm high with the spire 4mm thick. The timber is Jellutong.

Jellutong - never heard of it? Meant to say something about the cypress - I like using cypress, I thought it would have gone under the category of "too soft" for finials?

Yes, because using a ruler for scale would have been too obvious!

:roll:

Did you do those on your big lathe?

:p

Ad de Crom
25th July 2009, 08:20 PM
A finial is the crown on your work .
I spend sometimes more time to make a finial than on the workpiece itself.
I like your finials.
Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
25th July 2009, 10:35 PM
...from little finials grow big porch posts :D

Nicely done :2tsup:

jefferson
25th July 2009, 11:24 PM

Stop showing off, . :D:D

The rest of us here are planning to fix you permanently. :2tsup: I'm leading, so you'll know for sure where your "past the used-by date" custard tarts and cream have come from. :wink::wink::wink:

RETIRED
26th July 2009, 01:06 PM
One of 50 - all the same? ARGH!!!!!!!!!Normal for production type turning. Put your mind in neutral after the first 5 and let your hands do the work.

Jellutong - never heard of it? Meant to say something about the cypress - I like using cypress, I thought it would have gone under the category of "too soft" for finials? Jellutong is a carving timber that virtually has no grain.

Yes, because using a ruler for scale would have been too obvious! Yep.

:roll:

Did you do those on your big lathe? No. I used my smaller one s for those because I only do miniatures on the "Big Henry". Sort of like these.111909

Stop showing off, . :D:DNever.

The rest of us here are planning to fix you permanently. :2tsup: I'm leading, so you'll know for sure where your "past the used-by date" custard tarts and cream have come from. :wink::wink::wink:Miniature showing the only tool bar a parting tool to do the whole job.

It is 1/4 Henry Taylor detail gouge.111910

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 01:28 PM
I think that a couple of bottles of CA poured into selected parts of his lathe would fix him!

Need glasses yet ?

Gil Jones
26th July 2009, 02:17 PM
Well done, Ian

RETIRED
26th July 2009, 03:18 PM
I think that a couple of bottles of CA poured into selected parts of his lathe would fix him!

Need glasses yet ?Had them for 15 years but don't wear them much except for this stuff.:D

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 04:10 PM
God, I almost asked who Ian was. How embarrising!!!

:-

jefferson
26th July 2009, 06:32 PM
The only person I know who calls "Ian" is his good wife Julie. The rest of us are stuck with either , the Axe Wielder or Show Off. :D:D:D

I have a plan brewing..... :wink::wink:

I just need some help from the Board. I don't want to re-grind his chisels (to an impossible bevel angle so they won't cut, like he did to me) or alternatively super-glue his banjos.

Where are you Calm and DJ when I need you?

I'm thinking of inviting him up for a week or so and feeding him celery and peas (no meat or tea) for the duration. If I can talk Ern into taking him up to the snow, cross-country style, that would even be better.

Someone, please send me an inch square of something impossible to turn and we'll see how the Production Turner goes.... :p:p

Got to fix this bugger. One way or the other.

If I could get him drunk, I'd shave half his beard off.....

Yes, my next turning challenge is to ensure the Tooradin Rambler becomes a little more humble. What a task.....:wink:

And don't bother ringing me tonight . Little Grasshopper has drunk too much and needs a kip.

But I will fix you and Ken W. as soon as I can. At least the rest of the Vic Chapter on the board treat me more kindly. :D

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 06:49 PM
Jeff, you are a riot. I'd help, but I'm a bit far away.

I don't know anything harder then the Queen ebony. an inch by an inch? Shouldn't be a problem! Only, I don't know if my scroll saw will cut it.

jefferson
26th July 2009, 07:28 PM
Eliza, thanks for the support. Such a shame you are so far away.....

I am more thinking of something like petrified wood.

I owe two of my many mentors some practical jokes. I've be pondering on it for a while, but I will get even. :D

I'm currently thinking of asking them both to put some words together on the impacts of changes to sec. 26(e) of the ITAA in 1986 and asking for a treatise from them both.....

I must fix them. It's a life-long challege now - and I have the bit between the teeth. I am a terrier afterall.

Off for a kip soon and hope that in the meantime that my fellow forumites can help. Don't post any secrets on the Board. Just PM me so I can devise a plan....

Nup, I can't stand the pair of them any longer. :wink:

Too smart for my liking. I will get the pair of them and when I do.... You'll all hear about it big-time.

tea lady
26th July 2009, 08:07 PM
One of 50 - all the same? ARGH!!!!!!!!!Its actually quite nice doeing lots of one thing. Haven't really done it in wood yet, but use to like making 40 mugs or bowls at once with pottery. You get into a nice rhythm. :cool: very meditative.

Jellutong - never heard of it? Meant to say something about the cypress - I like using cypress, I thought it would have gone under the category of "too soft" for finials? Its like natural MDF. Used a lot in model making. As in model making for things to get molded for cars and such.

And Jeffs got his Nickers in a twist.:rolleyes: Just because Ken told him to practice!:doh::D:p

Pat
26th July 2009, 09:28 PM
Jellutong - lovely for carving. Clean, crisp carving. Never though of it to turn . . . :U

dai sensei
26th July 2009, 09:52 PM
Someone, please send me an inch square of something impossible to turn and we'll see how the Production Turner goes.... :p:p

The hardest stuff I have is 100 year old fence post of Western Rosewood, black and like rock, makes the ebony seem like butter. But if I can turn it, although with associated difficulty, I'm sure can :hmmm:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th July 2009, 09:56 PM
Hmmm... I have some petrified wood lying around in the rock pile, but I'll have to resurrect the diamond lap. saw to cut a chunk off it... :;

jefferson
26th July 2009, 10:35 PM
And Jeffs got his Nickers in a twist.:rolleyes: Just because Ken told him to practice!:doh::D:p

Tea Lady, I am practicising! Good days or bad, I always try to turn the lathe on daily, for ten minutes or a few hours. Lately, goopy eye and all.

The hardest stuff I have is 100 year old fence post of Western Rosewood, black and like rock, makes the ebony seem like butter. But if I can turn it, although with associated difficulty, I'm sure can :hmmm:

cannot turn everything. Surely not! If that ever does occur, I will lose a friendship unfortunately. :(:( Showing off is one thing....... :):):)

Hmmm... I have some petrified wood lying around in the rock pile, but I'll have to resurrect the diamond lap. saw to cut a chunk off it... :;

Now you're talking Andy. Please send me a 2 inch chunk. I'll tell my mentors it's "aged" poplar or something. And I will enjoy the fury.....

ElizaLeahy
26th July 2009, 10:39 PM
I'll tell my mentors it's "aged" poplar or something. And I will enjoy the fury.....

Oh please have a video camera rolling!!!

;)

eisbaer
26th July 2009, 10:40 PM
i've got some inland rosewood. Hard as rock. I'd stick with blackwood or ebony though. Hard wood is one thing but ease of turning is another.

RETIRED
26th July 2009, 10:49 PM
If all else fails I have a metal lathe as well to handle anything I can't turn with a chisel.:D:p

jefferson
26th July 2009, 11:14 PM
If all else fails I have a metal lathe as well to handle anything I can't turn with a chisel.:D:p

That's it, , you're gone. Ten lathes, a hundred chisels and the skill to use them all. :((:((

But wait, there is a glimmer of hope..... the Box Challenge.... And damn you, , I want to see something exquisite. :D

And I will get the calipers out, so watch it old mate. :p Plus the magnifiers, just to check your sanding and finish. Same as you do when judging.

So how's the serenity now? :D:D Oops, that one is for David AKA Calm, but it's relevant.

As I've said many times, I will get you. Aside from Jim Carroll, no-one is brave enough to stand up to you, but others will if I persuade them gently. Well, if I push and shove..... :D

rodent
27th July 2009, 01:47 AM
The only person I know who calls "Ian" is his good wife Julie. The rest of us are stuck with either , the Axe Wielder or Show Off. :D:D:D

I have a plan brewing..... :wink::wink:

I just need some help from the Board. I don't want to re-grind his chisels (to an impossible bevel angle so they won't cut, like he did to me) or alternatively super-glue his banjos.

Where are you Calm and DJ when I need you?

I'm thinking of inviting him up for a week or so and feeding him celery and peas (no meat or tea) for the duration. If I can talk Ern into taking him up to the snow, cross-country style, that would even be better.

Got to fix this bugger. One way or the other.

If I could get him drunk, I'd shave half his beard off.....

Yes, my next turning challenge is to ensure the Tooradin Rambler becomes a little more humble. What a task.....:wink:

And don't bother ringing me tonight . Little Grasshopper has drunk too much and needs a kip.

But I will fix you and Ken W. as soon as I can. At least the rest of the Vic Chapter on the board treat me more kindly. :D
If you shave off his beard you will find out the AXE man hath come .
As for the petrified wood skew don't you think with his angle grinder and a diamond blade would turn it DAA!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2009, 01:57 AM
Now that we've brought it up, I'm thinking about trying to turn some myself... :D

Gotta work out some way to hollow it though. :think:

RETIRED
27th July 2009, 08:03 AM
Now that we've brought it up, I'm thinking about trying to turn some myself... :D

Gotta work out some way to hollow it though. :think:Masonry bit mounted on a shaft. Slow but would probably work.

Rum Pig
27th July 2009, 09:03 AM
Miniature showing the only tool bar a parting tool to do the whole job.

It is 1/4 Henry Taylor detail gouge.111910
:oWhat no captive ring shame on you:o

KenW
27th July 2009, 11:14 AM
That's it, , you're gone. Ten lathes, a hundred chisels and the skill to use them all. :((:((

But wait, there is a glimmer of hope..... the Box Challenge.... And damn you, , I want to see something exquisite. :D

And I will get the calipers out, so watch it old mate. :p Plus the magnifiers, just to check your sanding and finish. Same as you do when judging.

So how's the serenity now? :D:D Oops, that one is for David AKA Calm, but it's relevant.

As I've said many times, I will get you. Aside from Jim Carroll, no-one is brave enough to stand up to you, but others will if I persuade them gently. Well, if I push and shove..... :D
Jeff, I have one or two box designs that might challenge .

jefferson
27th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Jeff, I have one or two box designs that might challenge .

Ken, the real question is whether will accept the challenge! :D

I thought my dining table legs (full of fiddle-back) would test him, but there was only one minor bit of pick-out. No measuring, just a few marks on the tool rest and he was done in no time.

Needless to say, I was impressed (and none too happy about it at the same time). But I guess that's what happens after 30 years of production turning. :2tsup:

So are you with us this time around ? Or has the Little Grasshopper been too cheeky? Oops and apologies if I have been.... :-

ElizaLeahy
27th July 2009, 01:19 PM

Exactly how many lathes do you have?

Jim Carroll
27th July 2009, 01:19 PM
Jeff dont worry about with all his huff and puff.

Inside that big chest beats a gentle heart.:D

RETIRED
27th July 2009, 01:38 PM
Exactly how many lathes do you have?
Um, "Big Henry", 12' Wooden bed (ex verandah post lathe, Wadkin Bursgreen, Teknatool 3000, home made bowl turning lathe. additional head and tail stock fitted to BH, another home made bowl turning lathe that has gone to a good home, latest addition is a Woodfast ml305 as a toy and a Myford toolmakers metal lathe.

I just got rid of a teknatool 1000 and 1500 to better homes where they will get used.

So lets see, only 8.:D

RETIRED
27th July 2009, 01:39 PM

Inside that big chest beats a gentle heart.:DBlown my cover now Jim.:wink::D

ElizaLeahy
27th July 2009, 01:45 PM
So lets see, only 8.:D

And I have 1/2....

tea lady
27th July 2009, 01:57 PM
Exactly how many lathes do you have?He who dies with the most lathes wins!:rolleyes: (and it prolly will be a he.:D )

mick61
27th July 2009, 02:41 PM
G`day one lathe is good two is better three or more is a gloat.:;

Eliza 1/2 which half don`t you have?
Mick:D

KenW
27th July 2009, 07:25 PM

A man needs at least four lathes.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2009, 07:49 PM
:whs:

You really need a lathe for each chuck. And I don't know what I'd do without George to play with during power blackouts. :)

jefferson
27th July 2009, 10:54 PM

Inside that big chest beats a gentle heart.:D

Someone has described as a rough diamond. I'd send him off to the jewellers, but they'd have to start work on the beard..... :D

I agree Ken. But you don't have to talk me into, just the missus!

You really need a lathe for each chuck. And I don't know what I'd do without George to play with during power blackouts. :)

Andy, by your logic I am 6 or more lathes behind. Plenty of chucks here and obviously not enough equipment (that will please Jim C to no end, I'm a good albeit ignorant come fussy customer).

Rum Pig
28th July 2009, 08:56 AM

I will PM you SWMBO'S email and phone number so you can tell her:U.
I was thinking about a second lathe but that was to take to work so SWMBO would never know:D

Calm
28th July 2009, 09:47 AM
Ken, the real question is whether will accept the challenge! :D

I thought my dining table legs (full of fiddle-back) would test him, but there was only one minor bit of pick-out. No measuring, just a few marks on the tool rest and he was done in no time.

Needless to say, I was impressed (and none too happy about it at the same time). But I guess that's what happens after 30 years of production turning. :2tsup:

So are you with us this time around ? Or has the Little Grasshopper been too cheeky? Oops and apologies if I have been.... :-

If there is any justice in this world jeff you should win this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=101000) then the rest of us can get a laugh at you and "sparring" for 2 days. Good luck grasshopper:p:p:p

jefferson
28th July 2009, 10:29 AM
If there is any justice in this world jeff you should win this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=101000) then the rest of us can get a laugh at you and "sparring" for 2 days. Good luck grasshopper:p:p:p

Calm, I'd love to win this one. mightn't like it though - as I'd be asking for 2 days spent solely on turning beads with the skew. (It's simply beyond me.)

As for "sparring" with , I'm not that silly. :p

NeilS
28th July 2009, 08:16 PM

Drat, only have 3. Might have to put that down to the quiche eating. :doh:

You really need a lathe for each chuck.

Now I'm really in trouble! ....:D

Neil

tea lady
28th July 2009, 08:29 PM
Drat, only have 3. Might have to put that down to the quiche eating. :doh:

Neil:? :think: ...........:shrug: