PDA

View Full Version : R1 (AB) Clock Battery.

hawkinob
1st August 2009, 10:32 PM
Hi,
Have just bought some oval clock inserts which apparently require a type 'R1 (AB) Clock Battery'. Bought the inserts from a UK firm but having trouble locating the battery here in Australia. Have emailed the UK firm (I could have ordered the batteries from them initially but didn't as renewals wouldn't be cheap (I thought that such batteries would be available locally here in Oz!!!!), asking for details of the battery i.e voltage, maker, physical size, etc. but I'm afraid that they don't seem to respond too well. The opening for the battery is about 27mm (1 1/8ins) long by about 9mm (3/8ins wide)
Would someone know or recognise these batteries please? I'll try to attach a picture which I've downloaded from the seller's site.
Thanks,
Bob H.
p.s. The local 'Dick Smiths' reckon that a 23A battery is similar but it played havoc with the insert. Could be of course that the unit is faulty but until I know that I've the right battery I'll not know.

joe greiner
2nd August 2009, 04:12 AM
They look remarkably like Type N, which is substantially interchangeable with 21/23, depending on manufacturer. I have some indicated as 23-023 from Radio Shack, and some 21/23 also indicated as A23 (Duracell). They were used in HP-41CV calculator, and also now in garage door opener remote controllers.

The "A" may, or may not, be restrictive, and it's puzzling that the unit would be so picky. Perhaps size 21 might be worth trying.

In case the unit tested is faulty, try testing in another.

I know next to nothing about batteries, BTW.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Joe

hawkinob
3rd August 2009, 03:13 PM
You are correct Joe as I've since found out that this type of battery has many names - N, LR1, E90 and perhaps the name that gave me this problem. A different store to Dick Smiths helped with the solution - 'Officeworks' - and now I'm set to go. Will have to return to Dick Smiths for a credit for the wrong battery supplied.
Thanks for the help.
Bob H.