PDA

View Full Version : Urn for Ashes

Jim Carroll
9th June 2000, 12:42 AM
Has anybody got plans or information for an Urn to hold Ashes (Human Type). I have heard of some that are segmented. What size do you need? Does the inside have to be lined with anything or finished in any way?

------------------
Jim
Turn it up

ubeaut
10th June 2000, 01:40 AM
G'day Jim

Dave Rivett made one at Beenatree's demo day a couple of years ago. Might pay to get on to John Ewart and find out how to contact Dave. I'm sure he had detailed drawings of same.

If all else fails I have some Victorian, Rococo and Baroque measured drawings for various urns etc. Somewhere here. Gizacall.

Cheers
Neil

enjward
20th February 2011, 09:08 AM
Sky is the limit as far as design, I have designed a few and the only thing you should know is that the cremated remains (Cremains) is a for every pound of human you will need one cubic inch in your urn.

AUSSIE
20th February 2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe a bit late here but the Eastern Cemetry Geelong sell Wood Urns and boxes made for ashes.You could go and look The Guy I talked to there seemed to have a bit of info

tea lady
20th February 2011, 10:44 AM
Dare I say it but this thread is so old it might be dead! :doh: :rip::D

ticklingmedusa
20th February 2011, 11:02 AM
Some tutorials here.
Woodturning Online - Turning Projects : Urns (http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/urns.html)
Some may be free and some may have a fee attached
The first one shows Bill Grumbine with some hair still on his head.

issatree
20th February 2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Jim, Irene,
I'm lead to believe, that they were to contain 3 Litres of Ash.
1 Chap in our Club, made these many years ago, & did very well from making them.
Yes, his were segmented, but Turned internally.
I will let you know.

AUSSIE
20th February 2011, 11:48 AM
Dare I say it but this thread is so old it might be dead! :doh: :rip::D
Hence the "Maybe a bit late here" bit :doh::doh:But we get your little bit of fun:D
Anyhow Maybe it is of use to other people I think.People seem to be needing them all the time:-

tea lady
20th February 2011, 12:29 PM
Anyhow Maybe it is of use to other people I think.People seem to be needing them all the time:-True! And considering Jim is now 11 years older than when he first asked the question he might need one sooner rather than later. :D (Apologies to Jim! I luv ya! )

watson
20th February 2011, 02:10 PM
Nah...its a dying trade TL.

AUSSIE
20th February 2011, 02:59 PM
Nah...its a dying trade TL.
Yeh Watson But-There is new customers every day.You would want to get their money first,I would think:rolleyes:

rsser
20th February 2011, 03:11 PM
If Jim remains interested in doing some urns I'm happy to nominate some people to fill them with.

ticklingmedusa
20th February 2011, 03:20 PM
If Jim remains interested in doing some urns I'm happy to nominate some people to fill them with.

:D:D:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
20th February 2011, 09:30 PM
As Tea Lady indicated this was 11 years ago.

We made quite a few for a couple of undertakers in geelong but the biggest surprise was we got a lot of requests for the urns for pets.

tea lady
21st February 2011, 09:36 AM
As Tea Lady indicated this was 11 years ago.

We made quite a few for a couple of undertakers in geelong but the biggest surprise was we got a lot of requests for the urns for pets.So where are the plans? :D And do they have to be lined in some way? :think:

Sawdust Maker
21st February 2011, 09:54 AM
There is an article on this subject in this months More woodturning
He suggests you need 1 cubic inch for each pound of the individual before cremation
someone else can to the calculation into metric

Jim Carroll
21st February 2011, 12:34 PM
TL no plans handy as I lost them on another computor.

They were oiled only and the ashes we put into a plastic bag then a nice bag for looks.

This way you avoid the flockers mishap and have the ashes strewn all over the floor.

RETIRED
21st February 2011, 12:53 PM
This way you avoid the flockers mishap and have the ashes strewn all over the floor.:whistling2:

Sawdust Maker
21st February 2011, 01:55 PM
:whistling2:

What tune is that ?

The Bleeder
21st February 2011, 02:16 PM
What tune is that ?

Another one bites the dust

RETIRED
21st February 2011, 02:38 PM
Would have been appropriate at the time.:rolleyes::-

tea lady
21st February 2011, 02:55 PM
TL no plans handy as I lost them on another computor.

They were oiled only and the ashes we put into a plastic bag then a nice bag for looks.

This way you avoid the flockers mishap and have the ashes strewn all over the floor.
:D And I guess putting on weight through smoking visitors?

Ed Reiss
22nd February 2011, 01:08 PM
This place offers free plans for wood cremation urns.

Free plans for a wooden cremation urn (http://www.cardboard-casket.com/kp-Free-plans-for-a-wooden-cremation-urn-6252.html)

rrobor
22nd February 2011, 04:55 PM
I get into all sorts of strife on subjects like this. I dont believe in religion. And no Im not an athiest. An athiest is one who has the religion of not believing, Im not one of those. I live and let live. You want to believe in whatever and you dont turn up at my door selling your crap, then more power to you. But yes, it hisses me poff they dont pay tax. That though is another subject
An urn for ashes is for the living. The dead sure cant view it. You burnt the poor begger. So what really is your desire. Do you want to put Uncle Harry on the mantle as an ornament. Or is your true desire to flash your fancy turning.
Life is a chain, new links form, old links fade. Please glory in the majesty of life and not gloat in the carcass of the dead.

rsser
22nd February 2011, 05:52 PM
:yeahright:

rrobor
22nd February 2011, 07:08 PM
We all have an opinionn and we all have a backbome. If anyone has an opinion, is this not the place to state it.
A nod or a wink is an interpretation of what the readers desires. It is a poor excuse for an opinion.
I at least state my opinion. And there are choices. You may think I am some sort of vulgarity, or you may agree. Or options between. But please, let us avoid the bland

FenceFurniture
22nd February 2011, 07:14 PM

Yeah, good one Urn.

watson
22nd February 2011, 07:17 PM
Back on Topic Please.