PDA

View Full Version : What tree is that

colbra
21st July 2004, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone I have just returned from the Mudgee field day was a top event.
While I was there I had little wander around the country side looking for what might be some nice pieces of wood to turn, at this stage I realised that I was at a bit of a loss for two reasons one I know nothing about timbers or trees and two I am only new to this wood turning.
Apply common since to things eg: not to go on private property and not cutting down any trees I found the thing a bit of a waste of time what I was wondering if there are any books on Australian timber that might lend itself to this type of thing
Regards Colbra :)

E. maculata
21st July 2004, 10:40 PM
Gidday Colbra, Try "forest trees of Australia" CSIRO publication around a $100.00 known in some forestry circles as the "Bible"

Bruce C

colbra
21st July 2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Bruce
does it explain if the timber would be any good turning or just general characteristics of that particular timber thanks for your reply
Col

E. maculata
21st July 2004, 11:05 PM
On some species it does give a limited usage guide, however there are 2 others that I'm aware of that can be used in conjunction to find a more detailed wood properties guide. "The Commercial Timbers of NSW and their uses" (Angus & Robertson) & "Wood in Australia" Types, properties & uses(McGraw-Hill) both by the venerable Keith R Bootle, although I haven't seen a metric version of the first ever since I accidently gave my metric copy away (freudian accidentally maybe). Between the three I can usually track from "what the heck is that tree" stage to "this is what I'm gunna do with it".
As one of my hobbies is trying to collect samples of Native timbers that I'm unfamiliar with, I quite often refer to these myself.

Bruce C
Life is an experience to be enjoy......so enjoy :)

colbra
21st July 2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks Bruce
I will head off to the library tomorrow and see if they can get those books for me
Regards Col

Cliff Rogers
22nd July 2004, 12:47 AM
G'day.

Col, you could also try this...
Timber Buyer’s Guide: http://www.skillspublish.com.au/Timbooktbg.htm

I don't have a copy yet but.... I think I'll have to get one.

I'll also be keeping an eye out for the ones Bruce has recommended.

Hey Bruce, what's the story behind the techo name for Spotted Gum as a nick?

E. maculata
22nd July 2004, 07:32 PM
Gidday Cliff,
Simple I am a child of the Bush (non-feral) over the years have developed an affinity with certain timbers, used to be Brush box, and the Turp family. last 10 years or so have noticed that the more I worked with Spotty the more I appreciated its multi-faceted nature, all of them look almost identical standing, classical Euc, however open them up and there is at least a range of 17 colours, properties from strength group 3(medium hwd strength) to strength group 1 (highest), a real mixture that is almost unexplainable. Sorta like how I view myself sometimes, nature or nuture? who knows. :rolleyes:

Bruce C.

colbra
22nd July 2004, 08:21 PM
Hi Cliff
I will check that one at the library, it looks like what I might be looking for the price is quiet reasonable which counts abit these days thanks for your help
Regards Col

outback
22nd July 2004, 08:22 PM
I'm very vry upset, :mad: , you didn't say g'day to me whilst at Mudgee.

Ya coulda just pointed and asked, I probably knew the names of the trees of local provinence. :rolleyes:

colbra
22nd July 2004, 09:01 PM
Hi Outback
I will be back in Sept for the wine fest if you can show me what tree is what and which wine is which.
If you were at either of the woodturning exhibits I am sure you would have spoken to me I was there for a couples of hours talking to people and watching the demos
Regards Colbra :)

outback
23rd July 2004, 12:43 PM
Nah Colbra, wasn't on any of the wood displays, i was there in my professional capacity, trying to make money.

I did look at the exhibits you mention though.