PDA

View Full Version : My first marquetry effort!

Kerry Blue
14th August 2009, 10:21 AM
I've just done a class with Steve (toolbagsPLUS on the Forum...www.fineboxes.com.au) and learnt HEAPS. I hadn't even thought about making boxes (too busy dealing with the BIG stuff) but now I've tried veneering and marquetry I'm hooked (plus I get to buy more tools!!!).

Another good thing about the class is that I met others from the Forum also building on their skills. So if you're on the Gold Coast /Tweed Coast maybe I'll catch you at one of Steve's classes in the future.

By the way, you can be confident that there is gender-blindness at the class....I was the only woman there and found it refreshing not to be treated as if I couldn't possibly know a quirk from a loose tenon!!!!!

Rattrap
14th August 2009, 11:01 AM
Very nice Kerry, well done!
I've read a couple of people who have done the same course here now & it has always interested me. Might have to spend a few days at my brothers place in brisbane!

flynnsart
18th August 2009, 05:46 PM
Your box looks great, nice work.

Donna

Wongdai
18th August 2009, 06:51 PM
Nice.

Wotza quirk? :?

Billy
20th August 2009, 11:29 PM
nice work there, and whats a quirk
cheers, billy ( mere male )

Billy
20th August 2009, 11:32 PM
my (unofficial) niece has started doing turning at school and is the only girl in her class, she loves it. Showing the boys up apparently, now they've gotta try harder. Chuckle chuckle.

I remember when I was a young fella in NZ doing cooking and sewing at school. Still use those skills, but what a ribbing I got at the time.

cheers, billy:2tsup:

joe greiner
21st August 2009, 07:57 PM
Quirk:

Seems to be a broader definition in dictionaries and Google, but I've heard it used to define a relief notch on mitered corners of flat material such as wood or marble, etc. In other words, a deliberate cut to prevent random chipping. Generally cut perpendicular to the larger surface, and equally in both pieces. Also, cast that way in precast architectural concrete panels to reduce cracking during field assembly. Visually, it produces a crisper edge appearance too.

Cheers,
Joe

Kerry Blue
24th August 2009, 02:24 PM
Chippies seem to use the term to describe the space they leave between the inside face of the door frame and the trim that they fit to the "finish" face ie flat with the plasterboard etc. The quirk is the 1/8 inch or so of the frame one can still see!