PDA

View Full Version : Aug Challenge (1st box)

JackJack
18th August 2009, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I have started to make my first box. I started with a piece of Oregon purchased at the WWW show a few months ago. Fortunately the size fit criteria previously identified!

My intention is to round the base and possibly the lid as well / contrasting coloured inlay perhaps - not clear exactly what's going to happen with the lid (early days yet).

Would appreciate any ideas to align the grain by design. I'd like the grain to match auto-magically so I don't have to fiddle with it each time someone's moves it! (Unfortunately I can see myself needing to "fix" it).

Method thus far has been to mount on a face plate, round down the whole thing, then seperate the lid and hollow out the centre. I figure that I'll finish the recess then turn it over and use jam chuck or cole jaws to round the bottom. Once that's done will apply the same approach to the lid.

All the best,
Nick

jefferson
18th August 2009, 11:56 PM
Nick,

I think the defining condition of a simple lidded box is that the grain must run parallel to the lathe bed. That is, you should be turning a spindle, not a bowl. This rule applies so that your base and lid move at the same rate - and no doubt for many other reasons.

If you can, turn that oregan around 90 degrees and start again. At least your base and lid will fit OK.

Oregan is much too soft for boxes. The end grain will tear out and the hard and soft growth rings will make it hard to finish well.

Others here will no doubt have more advice.

tea lady
19th August 2009, 12:17 AM
:think: The grain is supposed to be going the other way like a short fat spindle rather than a bowl blank.. :doh: Oh well. You can call it a lidded bowl instead. So much for definitions. :shrug:

Automatically allaining grain? Maybe magnets like in the bell box? Might be a bit tricky for the first box though. :rolleyes: You might have to just fix it up everytime. :D

kdm
19th August 2009, 11:45 AM
I think it is fairer to say that turned boxes are usually made with grain running top to bottom. There are exceptions, probably numerous, but one that springs to mind is the winged boxes like Timberley's aged leaves.

Carry on as you are going JackJack and finish the box but bear in mind most of what others have posted is with grain running differently to yours so the techniques used will be different.

Oregon is fine for learning with but you won't be able to get thuigs as thin as with hardwood. I'd second that suggestion of putting some magnets in like Ed's box.

Ed Reiss
19th August 2009, 12:05 PM
Nick,

I think the defining condition of a simple lidded box is that the grain must run parallel to the lathe bed. That is, you should be turning a spindle, not a bowl. This rule applies so that your base and lid move at the same rate - and no doubt for many other reasons.

If you can, turn that oregan around 90 degrees and start again. At least your base and lid will fit OK.

Oregan is much too soft for boxes. The end grain will tear out and the hard and soft growth rings will make it hard to finish well.

Others here will no doubt have more advice.

woods with hard and soft growth areas present an opportunity at sandblasting after the turning is done to embellish the look of the wood. The soft areas will wear away much quicker than the hard grain giving it a neat textured look. :D

ElizaLeahy
19th August 2009, 04:50 PM
It's a beautiful piece of wood. I don't think you need worry too much about the way the grain runs - I was told that a box is a hole surrounded by wood!!! And boy that grain is very neat.

End grain hollowing would be a pita with it, but it looks very good what you have done so far!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th August 2009, 05:25 PM
If you leave the walls of the box fairly thick, you can pin the lid in one spot. So it swivels to one side instead of lifting off. Or maybe using a single concealed hinge.

With it being attached to the box, there's no way anybody can mis-align it. Short of breaking it, that is. :rolleyes:

I think the defining condition of a simple lidded box is that the grain must run parallel to the lathe bed.

Ptui! I'm with Eliza on this one. :U

Unless you're turning it inclusive with a stem and/or finial, in which case you've no real choice but spindle turning.

KenW
19th August 2009, 11:16 PM
Lidded boxes can be made with the grain running in either direction. There is no hard and fast rule.
Be careful sanding, soft wood with large groth rings is hard to sand evenly. Otherwise box should look good.