PDA

View Full Version : Dipping My Toe in...

Duchess
23rd August 2009, 04:45 PM
And finally making my first post here.

Whew! These forums are so huge! There's just so much in them and I see a lot of my interests are covered here too...(but not all! :wink:)

Anyway, I've been mainly reading and picking the forum for information on sanding and restoring. I also am on the Renovate forums (but don't think I've posted there either yet) and it was actually through them that I found the person to make my bifold doors for the rear of my house onto my deck. So, its been quite a journey here!

At the moment, the doors are in my spare room, waiting to be installed. Can't wait for that! (Yes it will be a DIY project!) They're made out of recycled Tassie Oak and have double glazing and look gorgeous.

I also have an old cedar tall boy which I want to restore and refinish. I'm currently trying to track down some nicer door pulls as the others that were on it were so daggy and horrid. Sadly, the original knobs are long gone and had been replaced with these ugly things that look like fake antique but are just plain horrible, plus there are now two holes where there was only one. I thought about restoring to the original knob style but am not sure about this yet, as it will mean I'll be left with two holes to bog up and try to hide...

I was looking around here for sanding info as I've got a dining room table and large wooden board that needed some tlc. I found what I needed to know and am now just letting the finishes I applied dry so I can add a bit more...My dining room table was made by my husband years ago from some recycled horse arena timbers, so its got a bit of history as well as a bit of wear and tear! Its great to sit around it and "lean on the fence" so to speak with friends!

The timber chopping board was a bargain buy from the local markets (45 bucks!) and made big enough to be able to carve a whole spit roast on. Yes, its huge! So, I grabbed it and have been sanding it to a better finish and have just applied some Organaoil Hard Burnishing Oil to it.

:B Well, sorry for the long first post...hope you've got to this point! :D

Woodwould
23rd August 2009, 05:31 PM
Welcome Duchess! What is your avatar picture of? I've stared at it for a while and just can't decipher it.

tea lady
23rd August 2009, 07:20 PM
What no pics?:? It all sounds pretty interesting though.

And what IS that yellow thing in your avitar? :pi:

And also welcome. They let us girls in all the departments not just this one. And boys come in here to. :cool: so see ya round, and hope to see picks of your work here soon. (I do mainly turning, but am a huge sticky beak so I look at everything.:D )

Woodwould
23rd August 2009, 07:25 PM
Is it a Ducati?

tea lady
23rd August 2009, 07:28 PM
Is it a Ducati?Looks kinda like a hand brake, but could also be a Kircher water spray thingy.:rolleyes:

Duchess
23rd August 2009, 10:58 PM
And the first prize goes to Woodwould...:2tsup:

Yes, it is a picture of my Ducati 900SS...hence my nick of Duchess as we like to refer to Ducati's in Oz as Dukes! :D

I will be certain to post pics...lets see...

A picture of the Duke...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2305/2481946417_0e682ed49e.jpg

And a picture of the deck I built (with some help from some friends!)

The deck is 4m by 8 mt. In this picture it was winter last year with a frost which is why it looks so cold! I built it out of cyprus pine and the railing is recycled oregon posts with recycled teak rails (the teak was actually an old tv cabinet). I've since varnished the teak with MarineSpar and am planning to do the same to the oregon, mainly to give it some protection from our harsh outback sun and weather.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3397/3615179678_8615b2295a.jpg

I promise to take photos of the dining table and the chopping board tomorrow when the light is better!

The house just reeks of the beautiful smell of oil at the moment! I love it! :D

Thanks for the welcome folks, I appreciate it!

Duchess
23rd August 2009, 11:57 PM
Well...I did a reply earlier...

But I see it has to be approved by a mod?? Is that normal or just because I've added images or something? :? Or is it until I get a certain post count up?

Ok...that's weird because this post went up when I hit reply...

Hopefully my earlier post comes up because thats where I've replied to those who've posted and I've added pictures...

tea lady
24th August 2009, 12:00 AM
Well...I did a reply earlier...

But I see it has to be approved by a mod?? Is that normal or just because I've added images or something? :? Or is it until I get a certain post count up?

Ok...that's weird because this post went up when I hit reply...

Hopefully my earlier post comes up because thats where I've replied to those who've posted and I've added pictures...:shrug: Its 'puters. they are evil.:rolleyes::D

Duchess
24th August 2009, 12:14 AM
^So true! :biker:

This forum has a huge list of cool smilies too! But I promise not to go overboard and use too many...:fingerscrossed:

Well, in case my previous post never turns up here...

Woodwould was correct, the avatar picture is my Ducati 900SS...my nick is because here in Aus we refer to these bikes as Dukes and a friend commented once that I must be a duchess because I have a Duke!

And I promise pictures of my dining table and the chopping board tomorrow when the light is better! The cedar tall boy will have to wait though...the drawers are in my storage and the chest itself is in my workshop half done...not worthy of a photo at all really...

Thanks for the welcome, tealady and Woodwould...I appreciate it!

Duchess
24th August 2009, 01:40 PM
Ah...I see my post was approved!:2tsup:

I've taken some photos today of my table and chopping board...

The dining table made from recycled timber rails from a horse arena. The rails were replaced with rubber rails and my man couldn't let some of the old timber go. I was very pleased he didn't. My only bug with the table is that I think it is a bit high or the chairs are a bit low!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/3850205931_1d1c3a7665.jpg

And my 45 dollar chopping board picked up from the local market. I couldn't begin to tell anyone what the timber is, apart from a mixed breed of hardwoods! Though someone here might be able to tell me instead...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3850214329_eef57c2ae7.jpg

Woodwould
24th August 2009, 01:48 PM
The dining table made from recycled timber rails from a horse arena.
Very nice looking too! :thyel:

My only bug with the table is that I think it is a bit high or the chairs are a bit low!
Dining tables are uniformly 29.5" (750mm) high.

tea lady
24th August 2009, 06:48 PM
Wow! All looks good. And the long lost post turned up.:2tsup::D

Duchess
24th August 2009, 07:03 PM
Very nice looking too! :thyel:

Dining tables are uniformly 29.5" (750mm) high.

Ah...well, I went and measured the table and my man did know what he was doing! It is 750mm high. So that means my chairs are a bit low...I'll just solve that problem with some extra cushions...you can never have too many cushions...:D

I wasn't going stark raving mad either, tealady...:U

tea lady
25th August 2009, 01:08 AM
i wasn't going stark raving mad either, tealady...:u:d