PDA

View Full Version : Bench Grinder and Radial Arm Saw

HappyHammer
26th July 2004, 12:55 PM
All,

I'm looking to buy a Bench Grinder and a Sliding Compound Mitre Saw. I'd like to know if you guys could recommend a make and model for either.

I'd like the grinder to be removable when I'm not using it to reclaim the bench space but be stable when in use. Something easier/smarter than using clamps would be good.

I was speaking to my Dad in the UK yesterday and he said he just missed out on a De Walt SCMS for 175 pounds second hand approx $440 which seemed very cheap, any hints for buying second hand? I would also be interested in any feedback on the laser guides, are these a gimic for the cheaper saws?

HH.

fran
26th July 2004, 01:11 PM
Sydney may be different. But in Melbourne there are radial arm saws in all the used machinery shops and also in the Trading post, no one wants them I suspect because they have been superceeded by sliding compound mitre saws. You should have no trouble in finding a good one if you look around.

Frank

HappyHammer
26th July 2004, 01:13 PM
Sorry, showing my inexperience, the sliding compound mitre saw is what I meant. I'll edit original post, Thanks Fran.

TOMARTOM
26th July 2004, 02:04 PM
I would go for a SCMS over a RAS, because although RAS can have a larger crosscut(depends on model), this can be overcome by using a "sled" on your table saw, which is probably required along the way.
I use a hitachi scms, because I find them an honest machine, made in japan, and tried and tested design. For cabinet making a 81/2" is adequate, as cutting capacity is 75mm and cross cut is a shade over 300mm. I paid $720 a couple of years ago which still would be the case today with a bit of research. A lot of people like Makita and they are a good saw, but for my needs the C8FB2 is adequate.
As for grinders, I got a Makita GB601(not sure of model no) for $50.00 one of those refurbished units available, it is brand new must have had a fault and returned to Makita, there were crates of these so my guess is that it was a similar problem, fixed and then resold.

regards tony