PDA

View Full Version : Missed out

artme
29th August 2009, 06:19 AM
All I have here that cuts is a hacksaw!

This morning, on the vacant corner block across the road, there was some great looking tree prunings- BIG stuphph! Lovely looking grain nd spalting in the end grain and nothing to attack it with!!. An hour later and the local Council had picked it up.:C:C:C

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2009, 09:32 AM
Now that is just plain sad, sob :C

tea lady
29th August 2009, 11:09 AM
:console:

artme
29th August 2009, 11:39 AM
Aw shucks, you are both too kind.:B:B

Ed Reiss
29th August 2009, 12:00 PM
...that's what you get for moving to the middle of nowhere :q:D

munruben
29th August 2009, 12:09 PM
Arthur, you are not really trying, You had an hour to use that hacksaw mate, :)

wheelinround
29th August 2009, 12:47 PM
:aro-u: what he said and still not one photo:U

Woodwould
29th August 2009, 01:13 PM
So that's where you live! :p

RETIRED
29th August 2009, 04:52 PM
Don't they work on the "slab" system there?

dai sensei
29th August 2009, 06:05 PM
so why didn't you just pick it up as is and cut it up when you had something. I assume someone could have given you a hand. Or when you say big stuff, do you mean HUGE ?

skot
29th August 2009, 06:35 PM
artme,
What were you going to turn it on...any luck with sourcing a Lathe yet?

hughie
30th August 2009, 09:03 AM
Arturo,

Who would of thought in the land of Maņana, Maņana that such efficiency would exist. :U Whats the world coming to. :?

artme
30th August 2009, 09:26 AM
Don't they work on the "slab" system there?

Yep. and I've seen some beauties. Camera is on the go but need help of technologically aware nephew to help with card reader and downloading/uploading said pics.

RETIRED
30th August 2009, 09:28 AM
Yep. and I' seen some beauties. Camera is on the go but need help of technologically aware nephew to help with card reader and downloading/uploading said pics.Not talking about timber slabs Arthur but the brewed type.:D

artme
30th August 2009, 09:29 AM
so why didn't you just pick it up as is and cut it up when you had something. I assume someone could have given you a hand. Or when you say big stuff, do you mean HUGE ?

Too big to carry or drag.:tdown:

artme
30th August 2009, 09:39 AM
artme,
What were you going to turn it on...any luck with sourcing a Lathe yet?

No luck yet. and it is pi##ing me off.

Added to the problems I've already had we have had no internet here in Atafona until today so that has slowed the search.

Been thinking of building a simple lathe with a couple of Jacobs chucks.

Another problem is that where SWMBO decided we should live is in the boon docks - about 45 minutes from Campos ( 600 000 people).

No one in the family, or amongst acquaintences has friends who get their hands dirty or even know where to start looking.

Campos is one unique city. No well defined industrial areas and so a search is a bit of pot luck, Have, however, been into the local "screw house" several times ( no wisecracks, if you please ) and a young fellow there might be my best source of information.

artme
30th August 2009, 09:43 AM
Arturo,

Who would of thought in the land of Maņana, Maņana that such efficiency would exist. :U Whats the world coming to. :?

That's Mexico Hughie, but it may as well be here.

Luckily this local council area shows a bit of civic pride, Although the Favellas are littered with plastic bags, paper and potholed roads.

munruben
30th August 2009, 09:45 AM
been into the local "screw house" several times ( no wisecracks, if you please ) .Guess thats where the local "Brazil nuts" hang out.:) Sorry Arthur, couldn't resist that one. :D

wheelinround
30th August 2009, 05:39 PM
Guess thats where the local "Brazil nuts" hang out.:) Sorry Arthur, couldn't resist that one. :D

:rotfl:
:lolabove:

eisbaer
30th August 2009, 05:57 PM
Worst of it all is it was probably just chipped up. Local council only do things quickly if it involves wasting good timber. Apparently it's universal the world over :(

artme
31st August 2009, 02:59 AM
Not talking about timber slabs Arthur but the brewed type.:D

Working on a slab of Antarctica Cerveja at the moment.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: It is Sunday, after all.:q:q:q

artme
31st August 2009, 03:01 AM
Guess thats where the local "Brazil nuts" hang out.:) Sorry Arthur, couldn't resist that one. :D

You"ll keep, my friend.:D:D:p

Hickory
2nd September 2009, 12:45 PM
You Snooze, you Loose.... I have often seen goodies and thought "Self, you ought to stop and get that" but ponder that if it is there on the return trip.... NaDa never there... Last year, I was driving down the road to my son's house and in some fellow's trash was some 8" bamboo curtains (we need them to kill the late afternoon sun on the houseboat on Lake Cumberland... I reacted too late as I circled the block (rather than backing up) only to find the Garbage truck crunching them as I turned the corner. :(

One time I was in a local store and they had Boat Compuses on the Clearance rack for $2.00 (these normally sell for $24) I got one, then as I was checking out , I thought "Buy them All as my fishing club guys would love them" when I walked back there, they were all gone... :doh::C

When I pass a Trash recepticle with a treasure I feel no remorse to aquire it as I figure the World has gone "Green" and recycle is all the rad.... What was Dumpster Diving is now Recycling...

BTW I have a can ful of Recycle goodies going out to the curb tomorrow. "Come on Down"

eisbaer
2nd September 2009, 05:41 PM
yes that's always my story. Usually walking and see some nice timber and think "i'll let dad know and he'll swing past in the van and pick it up". Always too late.

Oddly enough, i'm trying to get housing commission to take down a tree next door to the unit block i live in (the tree is on their property) because it's leaning so dangerously over our land.

It's a eucalypt tree, probably won't be any good for anything so that'll take ages to get done. I figure i should lie to them and tell em it's a tree of some value. Then they'd be quick to chip it up i'm sure. Case in point. Ipswich city council chipped up some big old fig trees a couple of years back. They need to bring back hanging...