PDA

View Full Version : Bit of old fashioned advice needed

Enraf
28th July 2004, 06:03 PM
OK I'm away with the scroll saw, I'm not the best but with practice I'm sure I'll get better.

Just looking to the future and so I can get looking, I want to get to do some intricate scrolling, I am not to be quite honest a plywood fan so my question is:

For patterns up to about A4 size
What timber?
What thickness?
Where do you get the timber from?
What finish to give it that old look?
What finish to give it a deep polished look?

I live in Brisbane

Farne
(male - the name comes from my brother being shipwrecked on the Farne Islands when Mum was expecting me..... true.... with a surname of Hunt wasn't I glad is wasn't the Scilly Isles)

Barry_White
28th July 2004, 07:42 PM
Have a look here it may suit you. http://www.gekkotimbers.com.au/woodworking_books/intarsia_how_to_books/intarsia_woodworking_how_to_books.htm

ozwinner
28th July 2004, 08:07 PM
Bit of old fashioned advice needed
Always wear clean jocks.
Never kiss on a first date.
Clean out the stables before tea.
Go to church, always.
Say your prayers before bed.
Respect your elders.

Al :)

scooter
28th July 2004, 09:42 PM
Put the lid down.
Don't lick your knife.
Keep your elbows down.
Would you do that at a restaurant?
Shut the bloody door.
When you're out on the road, keep left.
More than 2 shakes is a w***...............hmmmmm
Ask to leave the table.

Sean

bitingmidge
28th July 2004, 09:58 PM
And handkerchief...have you got your handkerchief??

P

Sorry can't help with your question, but gave you a greenie 'cos of your name story anyway!

:D

fxst
28th July 2004, 11:48 PM
and dont forget the alfoil hat and underdaks..........
but I digress...
what I do is I get pine 290x20 pinus from the cheapest place I find zing it thru the thicknesser (thinnesser for Al) and for A4 portraits if framed 6 mill is good or 3mm when I need to stack cut 4 or so for orders :D
finish is usually sprayed on gloss or low sheen or wiped stain (very carefully I might add) but I have dipped intricate bits in a stain bath.
Also I have used exotic and Aust hardwoods
I found the thick/thinnesser :D to be invaluable (mines a ryobi 305)
Hope that helps ask for more help as needed we are mostly a friendly bunch, well except for errr uum aaaaaaar well I am anyhow :D :D :D :D
Pete running and ducking for cover

Enraf
29th July 2004, 12:46 AM
Friendly, FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY I ain't had so much advice since the missus left.

Now broke my jocks, stuffed up the date got straight into it, missed the kiss, elders are all dead, got banned from church, say prayers in bed, lid down... makes me think of the missus, lost my tongue ages ago, its awful shaking it with your elbows down, I do anything at a restraunt, haven't got a table just a trough, what do I do when I see the sign "Left lane ends", I use my shirt not handkerchief.

All taken in good spirit...

Thanks fxst and Barry for a little sanity

Farne

oges
29th July 2004, 06:35 PM
For patterns up to about A4 size
What timber?
quandong and pencil cedar would look good
What thickness?
3 or 6mm depending on the frame
Where do you get the timber from?
J&C Thin Timbers in Gympie, nice people, nice timber, check the Aussie woodworker. Tell them you want it a bit wider than usual as the standard is 195mm wide which is just under A4 size
What finish to give it that old look?
What finish to give it a deep polished look?
No idea, I finish mine with Organoil danish oil which looks nice

scooter
29th July 2004, 11:12 PM
Farne, I'm in a different league to Pete but I cut smaller pieces out of cypress fence pickets that I've powerplaned then hand planed down to about 1/2" thick. Finish with Feast & Watson fine buffing oil (mainly cos that's what I already had in the cupboard) which brings out the grain a bit with minimal sheen.

I started off with 7mm ply as I would get partway through a job and then have the blade catch it and bounce it a couple of times with eful results. The ply could take more punishment in those formative times! I find the (much) finer blades I am using now plus more experience make for much better sawing.

Are you still persevering with the stock GMC blades or have you sourced some other ones?

Cheers.........Sean