PDA

View Full Version : Mortice Jigs

jow104
29th July 2004, 06:18 PM
MORTICE JIGS

On our local u.k. woodwork forum there are many enthusiasts praising the capabilities of the woodrat and leigh jigs.
I mentioned that I produced 16 mortices in 20 minutes using my homemade MDF jig. What to you fella's reckon downunder. :D

Munchkin
29th July 2004, 07:00 PM
Well go on then give us some details about it as I for one would be very intrested in being able to build something like that instead of forking out the big delero's for the "known" brands.

Wayne Davy
29th July 2004, 10:24 PM
Munchkin,

Do a search for Rocker's mortise jig on the forum. Also, the new edition of Australian Woodsmith mag has full plans for a very flexible Mortising Jig.

Cheers,

journeyman Mick
29th July 2004, 10:29 PM
MORTICE JIGS

.......I produced 16 mortices in 20 minutes using my homemade MDF jig. What to you fella's reckon downunder. :D

Mate,
that's nothing, I'm using trained and CNC controlled termites :eek: , no noise no dust and once I set them to work I can get on with other more important things (like doing quality control on my neighbours home brew kegs :D )

Mick

Wayne Davy
29th July 2004, 10:59 PM
I'm using trained and CNC controlled termites :eek:
So Mick, trained termites huh. I'll bet the little buggers dont stop on command :D

Rocker
31st July 2004, 01:34 PM
Wayne,

I have had a look at the Woodsmith morticing jig, and feel that, while it would take just as long or longer to construct as my jig, it does not offer the micro-adjustability and built-in measuring facilities of my jig. The Woodsmith jig no doubt does a reasonable job; but if you are going to put in that amount of effort to make it, you might as well aim for precision as well.

Munchkin,

If you send me a PM giving your e-mail address, I will send you an article containing plans of my jig.

Rocker

journeyman Mick
31st July 2004, 02:16 PM
So Mick, trained termites huh. I'll bet the little buggers dont stop on command :D
Wayne,
still ironing out the "bugs" (pun itended). It's hard setting microswitches for the "stop" function and I've ended up with some beautifully made mortices that go strtaight throught the workpiece and through my benchtop :mad:

Mick

Munchkin
2nd August 2004, 06:04 PM
Rocker, Thank you very much for the info on your jig. Very thorough and complete. As I have access to a metal working CNC and some scrap aluminium what parts do you sugest I could substitute for metal?

Again thank you for your help.

Munchkin

jow104
2nd August 2004, 06:19 PM
My mortice Jig

I am attaching a photogragh of the jig I use to do my mortices made with MDF. As I previously mentioned I was able to complete 16 perfect mortices in 20 minutes, this of course has come about by edperience and familiarity usuing this jig. More pics are available if requested

Rocker
2nd August 2004, 06:34 PM
Munchkin,

I am not familiar with with metal-working CNC, but I imagine you could make all the flat parts, except perhaps the vertical support, out of 6 mm thick aluminium sheet and aluminium angle, and tap threads in it for the locking knobs. I am not sure how smooth you could make the dadoes for the guide bars in metal, so it might be best for the fence to be made out of wood.

Anyway I shall be very interested to see an aluminium version of my jig when you have completed it.

Rocker

TassieKiwi
3rd August 2004, 10:31 AM
Hi Rocker

I would like plans of your jig please - I'm about to make a complicated slat bed which will have HEAPS of mortices.

[email protected]
Ta

Den

Rocker
3rd August 2004, 11:47 AM
Munchkin,

On further consideration, if you make the horizontal platform for my jig out of aluminium, you would need to use a different method of locking the stop-blocks, since you have to avoid anything projecting from the underside of the platform which might interfere with your workpiece. Maybe machine bolts with countersunk heads engaging with female-type locking knobs would work.

John,

Your morticing jig is simple to make and, for your purposes, mainly making garden furniture, where minor inaccuracies are not a problem, it should work fine. However, it has no provision for ensuring that the mortice will run parallel to the face of the workpiece, and you have to rely on centring the router bit over the marked out mortice by eye, when setting the fence. My jig eliminates the need for marking out the mortice, and ensures considerable precision, but, of course, it takes quite a bit more time, say a day, to build it.

Rocker

jow104
3rd August 2004, 05:51 PM
Hi Rocker,

Thanks for the competition, my easily constructed jig will produce accurate parallel mortices if required, I would use the calliper depth rod and push it up against the jig fence, the measurement required would equal half the width to the router centre point plus the measurement to the centre mortice point.
However I do agree with you also that your equipment is very attractive and you certainly produce some very fine pieces of furniture as I have personally witnessed.