PDA

View Full Version : What glue to use

smidsy
30th July 2004, 09:59 PM
Hei Guys,
I bought a tool steel blank to make a chisel and I need to make a handle.
The blank itself is rectangular so what I plan to do for a handle is recess 4 peices of timber with the router and then glue them together and turn them.

The plan is to use jarrah for the handle (because I've got some laying around) and I will need a decent glue - I'm thinking 24 hour epoxy.
Any suggestions/comments on the glue?
Cheers
Smidsy

Sprog
30th July 2004, 11:26 PM
Yellow PVR Glue, leave it for 24 hours before turning.
Titebond II is also a very strong wood glue again leave for 24 hours.

Red neck
31st July 2004, 01:20 PM
Smidsy,

A square peg will fit into a round hole! I assume you are talking about a turning chisel. If you turn the handle and drill the hole a tad smaller than the steel, assemble it with epoxy. I use a drill chuck in the tailstock to drill the hole. I have ‘handled’ a few P & N rectangular chisels this way and in some cases haven’t bothered with the epoxy. Depends on how close to ‘square’ the ‘rectangle’ is.

May save time on routing and then gluing up the halves for turning.

smidsy
31st July 2004, 04:15 PM
Hei Red,
Thanks for that - I just wish I'd read your post about an hour ago lol.
I was justtrying to rout a 3mm x 4.5mm rebate in to some 19mm jarrah, and I found that without a depth gauge it is bloody hard to set the router to the accuracy I need, and I also found trying to hold a 6kg router in my lap is not fun.
I've got a jarrah turning blank so I shall do it your way.
Cheers
Smidsy

Red neck
31st July 2004, 04:48 PM
Smidsy

...trying to hold a 6kg router in my lap is not fun...

And they reckon I'm a 'redneck'.

Regards

smidsy
31st July 2004, 07:13 PM
Holding the wrong end can make other things red as well.
Smidsy

hotrod100
31st July 2004, 07:25 PM
Smidsy
I like a man with ....GUT'S......(just try an hold on to em ,thats all) :eek:

Alastair
2nd August 2004, 12:55 PM
Drill the hole just slightly larger than the "square " dimension of the tang, but less than the "diagonal". Slightly taper off the corners of the tang at the end, to give you a start, then grip the tool in the vice, and drive the handle on with hammer and a wooden block. Don't forget to add a tight fitting ferrule to the handle before doing this, or you will split it.

Alastair