PDA

View Full Version : First one done

badgaz
17th September 2009, 03:24 PM
Here's my first figure base.:U

Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Wood is mahogany and it's about 120mm in dia.

I ended up glueing a waste stub to the blank and stuck it in the chuck...it held beautifully, thanks Skew.:2tsup:
I then cut a 50mm dia. recess in the face to a depth of 5mm...(thanks TTIT), switched the whole thing around in the chuck, parted off the stub, then shaped it.

Gaz happy:D:D:D

Cheers guys

Gazza

Ozkaban
17th September 2009, 03:32 PM
Looks great! Geez, this place seems pretty good for decent advice :2tsup:

Top work, all concerned!

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
17th September 2009, 04:01 PM
:U Look at that! Just like a bought one.:2tsup:

turnerted
17th September 2009, 05:50 PM
Gazza
If you have a drill press and a 50mm forstner bit ,maybe you could drill the hole first and save having to glue on a tennon and then cut it off again . I use this technique for making somthing similar .

Ad de Crom
17th September 2009, 06:48 PM
Gazza, very well done
Ad:2tsup:

badgaz
17th September 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks all!

It's nice when a plan works out...rather than fly off the lathe and punch a great hole in your shed:2tsup:

If you have a drill press and a 50mm forstner bit ,maybe you could drill the hole first and save having to glue on a tennon and then cut it off again

Thanks turnerted, but it wasn't until I started making sawdust I realised the short tennon has other advantages.
The blank wasn't entirely square, having it chucked by the tennon allowed me to true what would become the base, and cut a well centred recess using my hughie junior (thanks hughie!).
Flipping the blank over, chucking it in the recess, removing the tennon and trueing that face gave me a well squared up spinning disc to hack away at.

BTW, I still plan on buying a 50mm forstner bit this weekend as a must have!

Cheers

Gazza

artme
17th September 2009, 09:07 PM
Well done Gazza!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now for the next 50.:D

jefferson
18th September 2009, 12:50 AM
Go, go, go, Gazza.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Looking forward to the next piece.

Ed Reiss
18th September 2009, 11:31 AM
Here's my first figure base.:U

Gaz happy:D:D:D

one down...several hundred thousand to go :2tsup:

badgaz
18th September 2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement folks, current commisioned work amongst my modelling peers stands at 5 bases....they all thought I was joking when I said they had to provide the figured wood of their choice plus a donation of same for my stockpile:;

Cheers

Gazza