PDA

View Full Version : What's the Japanese method of dimensioning lumber?

applebuilder
20th September 2009, 01:05 PM
Hello, I've started to pick up interest in Japanese hand tools and was wondering if there were any experts out there who could provide some information the traditional way of dimensioning lumber. I know the smaller smooth plane maintains contact with the wood on only the front part of the plane (which logically leaves the dimensioned surface intact while smoothing) so I was wondering if the plane used to 4 square a board had a specialized design as well. Is there a subtle way the design works to level a surface or is it just a matter of referencing against straight edges and winding sticks as in the Western tradition?

Afro Boy
20th September 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm no expert, but I found the book "Japanese Woodworking Tools: Their Tradition, Spirit, and Use" by Toshio Odate really useful in understanding the various traditional tools and what is used how, etc.

yojimbo
21st September 2009, 01:46 AM
Agree, Afro Boy -- it's a terrific book!

Sheets
22nd September 2009, 01:18 PM
"just a matter of referencing against straight edges and winding sticks as in the Western tradition?"

Exactly right. The plane sole variation has more to do with the amount of wood the plane is expected to remove and its length (rough vs middle or fine). A jointer will have a contact point at both ends of the body (dai) as well as in between, but used mostly for squaring edges to the face(s).
So one just starts with one side of the board and then uses that as the reference for the remaining surfaces using kanna appropriate to the amount of wood to be removed and the desired finish.

There is also a book, "Japanese Woodworking. A Handbook of Japanese Tool Use and Woodworking Techniques" by Hideo Sato and translated by Koichi Paul Nii. I think this is combined in later editions with "Japanese Joinery" by Yasuo Nakahara with translation also by Koichi Paul Nii. Very useful if you get a hold of it (although, the joinery part makes me dizzy :stars:).

Steve

p.s., lest I be mistaken for an "expert", I'm not. Those that don't know how, teach.

applebuilder
22nd September 2009, 01:29 PM
thanks for the info on the books, guess a trip to the library is in order.