PDA

View Full Version : My Cheese Platter Board

dai sensei
20th September 2009, 07:01 PM
Well I've posted a few threads on this beast, but now it is almost finished, has a few more coats of parrafin oil to go and a good buffing. Tiger Myrtle, Zebrawood and Ebony. The cutting board is end grain

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116957&stc=1&d=1253433353

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116958&stc=1&d=1253433353

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116959&stc=1&d=1253433353

Also made a cheese knife to go with it, finished with CA.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116962&stc=1&d=1253433353

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116961&stc=1&d=1253433353

The SS cables seams to be doing its job holding it together, although you can see it in a few places from the bottom.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116960&stc=1&d=1253433353

Cheers

Manuka Jock
20th September 2009, 07:25 PM
:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
20th September 2009, 08:34 PM
Wow, what a beauty.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
20th September 2009, 08:37 PM
Beautifully made Neil. Wonderful patience on your part.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

For me, the overall effect is that it is too fussy, but that is a matter of personal taste.

dai sensei
20th September 2009, 08:59 PM
For me, the overall effect is that it is too fussy, but that is a matter of personal taste.

Yep, my son said it was too "loud". It was a good idea at the time :rolleyes: Considering how many times the various parts went flying across the shed, the problems with cracking, I would never do it again.

My son is a similar age to my nephew who it was supposed to be a wedding present for, so now I'm thinking of keeping it myself and buying something else for the gift. After all, no-one apart from a woody we appreciate the value of the timbers involved :-.

Tex B
20th September 2009, 09:05 PM
Neil, that is sensational. Amazing work!

Definitely would require the right setting for it, which I'd say most young people won't be able to provide. Also seems a shame to put cheese and crackers on it, it should be framed and exhibited!

I am in awe, as usual.

Tex

Ozkaban
21st September 2009, 11:55 AM
What an awesome segmented piece! Truly the work of a master craftsman :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
21st September 2009, 12:04 PM
Beautiful piece Neil! Sure hope it stays together this time.

Ed Reiss
21st September 2009, 12:13 PM
I think anyone would be proud to have the piece as a present, even if it is kinda' "in your face" with the pattern.

I give it :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ss_11000
21st September 2009, 06:10 PM
Awesome!!!

wheelinround
21st September 2009, 06:21 PM
As all have said Neil magnificent work of art.

Whats the bits sectioning the plater :?

dai sensei
21st September 2009, 07:54 PM
Whats the bits sectioning the plater :?

I assume you refer to the black divides, they are 2mm Ebony used in the final glue-up.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st September 2009, 11:04 PM
Ebony? You really didn't spare the pennies, eh?

You're right... the young bloke won't appreciate it. Turn him a wooden stubby holder instead and send the platter to someone who'll cherish it...

Me! :;

TTIT
21st September 2009, 11:25 PM
While many will see it as 'loud', it is still an eye-catching piece of work that I'm sure plenty of people would love to show it off in their home. Don't give it as a gift - it may not be appreciated - wait til someone drools over it and see it go to a good home:2tsup: Nice work Neil :2tsup:

Rum Pig
22nd September 2009, 09:34 AM
Yep, my son said it was too "loud". It was a good idea at the time :rolleyes: Considering how many times the various parts went flying across the shed, the problems with cracking, I would never do it again.

My son is a similar age to my nephew who it was supposed to be a wedding present for, so now I'm thinking of keeping it myself and buying something else for the gift. After all, no-one apart from a woody we appreciate the value of the timbers involved :-.
That is a very nice plater I would be proud to own (let alone say I made)

I would have said busy rather than loud but once you put a slab of cheese and a bucket of crackers on it the loudness or busyness will be softened quite a lot.

Ozkaban
22nd September 2009, 10:11 AM
I reckon it would be too loud if it was plonked down on top of a Zebrawood or Tiger Myrtle table, but if not, it would be a feature and just look great!

I don't think I could reproduce it, but I might have a crack at one with just 4 segments. I really like the ebony dividers - they set it off nicely. Also don't think I'd be using such beautiful woods :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
22nd September 2009, 12:18 PM
I assume you refer to the black divides, they are 2mm Ebony used in the final glue-up.

Thats them thanks Neil:2tsup:

Not game to show LOML she'll want one made for sure:roll:

Mrs Woodpecker
22nd September 2009, 01:08 PM
Beautiful work. Clever man, Neil. Don't give it away as a gift.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers,
Shirley

dai sensei
22nd September 2009, 07:41 PM
Ebony? You really didn't spare the pennies, eh?

I think to buy the timber to make it again would probably be in the order of $300.

I scored the Tiger Myrtle as a rotten slab 900x300x30 in a reject pile for $20, but I noticed it had 750x100x50mm of good timber down the middle :2tsup:. The Zebrawood was left-overs from a pack bought by someone else and given to me. The Ebony is from some PNG stripe I scored before Teak & Fancy Timbers closed their doors for around $40 (I think, it was a while ago). But I did have to go through 2.5 cube of crap in the stack to find the 4 lengths of 100x30x1200 that were over half solid black :cool:

... I might have a crack at one with just 4 segments. I really like the ebony dividers - they set it off nicely.

4 segments would probably be Ok, as the temporary glue-up would be easy to pull apart after turning the dished part. Actually, as long as the segments between dividers were solid, it would be Ok.

rodent
30th September 2009, 02:09 PM
It's a gallery piece for sure . Nice one Neil .:oo: