PDA

View Full Version : Glue suitable for outdoor

ckoo
13th August 2002, 02:09 PM
Hi, Can anyone recommend a good glue that is suitable for outdoor use (Outdoor furniture)?

thanks.

Eastie
13th August 2002, 04:04 PM
If you've got the moulah West systems epoxy or AV syntec are good.

Selleys high strength 2-pack is also good and readily available in most hardware stores, unlike the other two (check the label - I think they recommended one of their other products where constant dunking is planned).

Weldbond yellow is good. PVA is also good if ya apply it properly, clamp appropriately and finish it accordingly.

Clag sticks are not good http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Search the forums for glues/adhesives to drag up further info.

By the way, where's glue fingers Barry Sumpter gone ?

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 13 August 2002).]

Shane Watson
13th August 2002, 07:19 PM
Go to this web site. AV SYNTEC (http://www.avsyntec.com.au)

And tell em I sent ya!

Cheers!

barrysumpter
22nd August 2002, 10:51 AM
Hi Eastie,

Fingers and Toes are no longer webbed together. The black finally faded and disappeared after 4 weeks.

I'm now trying to finish the Scobie Curved Top Blanket Box. Its for indoors so I won't have to worry about wearing mittens for awhile.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer
Triton Woodworkers Club Holmesglen (http://home.iprimus.com.au/stu_lou/triton/index.html)

soundman
23rd August 2002, 10:08 PM
I recolect Barry was using polyeurothane.
Apart from the occupational injuries how do you find the glue & hows it standing up.

From your exoperience Barry It is entirely appropriate for joining cloth and hide but hao about wood.

Baysider
4th October 2003, 09:45 AM
can be used indoors and outdoors and is 100% waterproof. moisture curing and bonds wood, stone, ceramics and plastics. If you get it on your hands though, you'll have to wait for it to wear off, but at least you'll look like you have been busy :)
drop me a line if you want to know more.

Rocker
4th October 2003, 11:56 AM
Resorcinol glue is reputed to be the strongest of all glues and is completely weatherproof. It is available from the AV SYNTEC site.
I used it twenty years ago for an iroko garden bench, and it is still going strong.

TommyC
22nd April 2008, 02:44 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but its relevant to a current question i have...I'm building an outdoor table and bench seats that features legs than will be laminated up from 1 1/2" oregon peices to make 3" thick legs. Also will feature glued mortice and tenon joinery. The finished frame will be protected with a few coats of acrylic paint, and the top (Iroko) with a decking oil. I bought some Titebond III for the project, but i now worry that i should be using a 2part epoxy instead. Has anyone used Titebond III outdoors and seen the long term results?

Assume for the sake of the arguement that preparation and clamping will be as per recommendations.

elraco.com.au
22nd April 2008, 11:43 PM
Hi Tommy

Now we do not sell Titebond ... but from previous post I understand that it is a cross linking D3 bond adhesive. It will be fine for your project and will perform well. A/. You have it already. B/. It is a one pack adhesive that is easy to use and will do what you want it to do

Regards
Ray

Jim Carroll
23rd April 2008, 09:08 AM
Titebond 3 is rated as waterproof, suitable for outdoor use.
Available in 473ml or 1 gallon bottles.

artme
23rd April 2008, 07:25 PM
If it only were cheap enough... Super glue!!:D

I've used polyurethane glue and it is fine outside. Doesn't rate as the strongest of glues. I think, from memory itis only about 60% the strength of crosslinked PVA. I found it very good, however, when gluing up drawers I made from inferior particle board as it expands into thematrix of the board.

Honorary Bloke
23rd April 2008, 09:55 PM
Titebond III is the go. :)

TommyC
24th April 2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your help guys!
I'll start another thread with the project.