PDA

View Full Version : Box turning and grain direction Help

Chipman
24th September 2009, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I am wanting to turn a small box (niece is getting married) and it HAS to be RED GUM (says she) and I know it moves a lot. So is it better to turn it into the end grain or across the grain? The red gum I have is fiddleback if that makes a difference.

I can allow for some movement by turning the lid a little loose and using an O ring to secure it.

Advice always greatly appreciated

Regards,
Chipman

brendan stemp
24th September 2009, 08:39 PM
Gday Chipman

I work with red gum quite a lot and would agree to some extent with your comment that it moves. It does move but it aint too bad. I would definitely work end grain for a lidded box and the best advice I could offer you is not to do the whole project in one session. Rough out the timber as much as you can and leave it for a period of time; overnight is good. This will allow for some of the tension to be released and for the timber to find a new equilibrium. Fiddleback red gum will be a little bit harder to cut cleanly and I have found some shear scraping to be the best. Hope this helps.

DJ’s Timber
24th September 2009, 08:40 PM
:whs:

Chipman
24th September 2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks Brendan and DJ. That makes sense to me.

By the way, I was experimenting with platters last Christmas. Green Red Gum. By the time it dried, the plate was 20 cm along the grain and 19cm across the grain!

I am looking forward to get back at the turning again... been too busy. Probably catch up at the TWWW show (if I can get there..)

Cheers,

Chipman

Chipman
14th November 2009, 08:55 AM
Hi all,

I seem to take forever to get things done but thought you might be interested to see where this little ring box is up to...

Red gum with yellow box inlay. It is for a niece who is getting married overseas. She wanted someting to remind her of home. This is made from wood from her grandfather's wood pile.

The lid has to stay on when in a pocket so I used an O ring.

More photos later...

Chipman

rsser
14th November 2009, 09:36 AM
Nice work Chipman.

brendan stemp
14th November 2009, 11:24 AM
One lucky niece. Well done Chipman.

Ed Reiss
14th November 2009, 01:04 PM
wow Chipman, I think the advice was to leave for overnight...not a month and a half :doh:

Turned out very nice :2tsup:

Evan Pavlidis
14th November 2009, 01:44 PM
looking good chipman; I like the O ring idea...thanks

Evan :)

tea lady
14th November 2009, 02:58 PM
:cool: Isn't that nice. I'm sure the niece will love it.:2tsup:

Chipman
14th November 2009, 06:31 PM
wow Chipman, I think the advice was to leave for overnight...not a month and a half :doh:

Turned out very nice :2tsup:

Thanks Ed...

I actually did the basic box, including the ring inlay the next day... then had to find the time (and freshness of mind) to do the heart shape... you only get one shot otherwise it is start from scratch again. Then there was the finishing (wipe on poly). The good thing about not rushing it is you get the chance to remount it and do any micro trimming and adjustments and can be certain it will be stable.
I also get a lot more satisfaction from taking my time.

It has been done for about 2 weeks, just hadn't posted a picture. Next challenge is to line it and put the ring cushions in it. But no rush... I still have six weeks for that.

Then there are the farewell gifts, kids toys and christmas presents!! If only one didn't have to go to work................:doh:

Cheers,

Chipman

DJ’s Timber
14th November 2009, 06:36 PM
Turned out very nice Chipman :H

Give yourself a pat on the back from me :U

Ed Reiss
14th November 2009, 11:13 PM
If only one didn't have to go to work................http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/doh.gif

yea, work sure does interfere with a lot more pleasurable pursuits :~