PDA

View Full Version : Pressie from Forum member

ElizaLeahy
26th September 2009, 11:43 AM
Mind you, I have other timber from other forum members that I haven't cut yet, but this piece from Vern I did this morning. It's rosewood, smells wonderful. Zoe came out from the lounge at the other end of the house to see what the scent was!

It's about 5" x 2" and my aim was to get it as thin as possible. I actually think I could have gone thinner, but a crack appeared and I didn't want to stress it and have it break, so stopped there. Still, it's the thinnest thing I've done, and even all the way down.

Got a few marks that I couldn't sand out, but they seemed to have mostly disapeared with the polishing, and now that I look at it I have a feeling that the "marks" that I was trying to sand out is the pattern in the grain...

Colour me stupid
:doh:

It's so LIGHT. I keep picking it up expecting more weight.

Thank you Vern!!!

Bob, the Cottonwood scares me... It's sitting there in my shed, sneering at me!

I also have a lovely piece of black heart from Andrew. I think we should have a bowl challenge sometime, I need practice on bowls.

Ed Reiss
26th September 2009, 12:13 PM
Fairly well done Eliza...your skills have improved greatly since you started.

Texian
26th September 2009, 02:07 PM
Very pretty Eliza. So how thin is it? Interesting photo background.

ElizaLeahy
26th September 2009, 02:18 PM
I don't have any way to measure :(

It's just a sketch book - sorry

Texian
26th September 2009, 02:35 PM
No need to apologize Eliza. I use a double layer of old white sheet, ironed and heavily starched to eliminate the wrinkles. Works a treat.

ElizaLeahy
26th September 2009, 05:34 PM
heehee. You said "Ironed"

As if :)

Ad de Crom
26th September 2009, 06:28 PM
Eliza, yes it's nicely thin turned, very elegant looking bowl, like it a lot.:2tsup:
Next week I turn off the lidded bowl I put in the paper bag a while ago, and try to make a nice looking ebony finial.
Regards, Ad

TTIT
26th September 2009, 07:27 PM
.........................It's so LIGHT. I keep picking it up expecting more weight.
Once you start getting thin walls you really appreciate the difference the weight can make in it's first impression to the viewer/handler/admirer - you'll never want to go back to the chunky old 'dog-bowls' we all start out with. :2tsup:

Thank you Vern!!!
....................No worries Eliza - you're welcome. :U

ElizaLeahy
26th September 2009, 07:32 PM
Eliza, yes it's nicely thin turned, very elegant looking bowl, like it a lot.:2tsup:
Next week I turn off the lidded bowl I put in the paper bag a while ago, and try to make a nice looking ebony finial.
Regards, Ad

Is that the Solomon Ebony? Good luck if it is!!! I've been making hair sticks out of it, I don't think I'd want to do a finial! But then - you are better then me. heehee :D

Once you start getting thin walls you really appreciate the difference the weight can make in it's first impression to the viewer/handler/admirer - you'll never want to go back to the chunky old 'dog-bowls' we all start out with. :2tsup:
No worries Eliza - you're welcome. :U

Maybe tomorrow I'll start on the Sandlewood Mushroom :)

The Mushie gets lots of "oohs" and "ahhs". I took it to the market and it was so hot that some of the edges of the lid cracked - and you know what? Made it look even better! LOL

I'll try for a Mushie with a thin wall :)

Ad de Crom
26th September 2009, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=ElizaLeahy;1039354]Is that the Solomon Ebony? Good luck if it is!!! I've been making hair sticks out of it, I don't think I'd want to do a finial! But then - you are better then me. heehee :D
Yeah Eliza, it is that Solomon Ebony, I'll do my stinky best :)
Ad

Rum Pig
27th September 2009, 12:00 AM
Nice very nice:2tsup:

As for the back ground I use what ever is closet to me:D:D

artme
27th September 2009, 01:03 AM
Great work Eliza!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: One to be really proud of.

ElizaLeahy
27th September 2009, 08:54 AM
Isn't it always the way though - you hold it up and go "hmmmm, it could have been better..."

hughie
28th September 2009, 11:23 AM
Eliza,
You've picked the best shape to have a go at doing a thin cross section. Looks good to me :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
28th September 2009, 11:36 AM
Eliza,
You've picked the best shape to have a go at doing a thin cross section. Looks good to me :2tsup:

Hughie, that's what I thought, I didn't want to have to go around corners. And I find the shape very pleasing to the touch and the eye too. I have a little bit of Jacaranda here - I have a feeling it's going to be the same shape. Everyone in my family is getting tiny, thin, useless little bowls for Christmas :D

Is it better to use a hard wood then something soft like rosewood or jacaranda for going thin or doesn't it matter?

munruben
28th September 2009, 01:54 PM
Isn't it always the way though - you hold it up and go "hmmmm, it could have been better..."Yes, and thats what makes each piece better than the piece before it. I am never satisfied with my own work and always want to do better next time. Nice work by the way. Well done.:2tsup: