PDA

View Full Version : Changing BBQ to different gas bottle

Calm
29th September 2009, 12:33 PM
HI

My daughter is going to teh Deniliquin ute muster and wants to take my 3 legged round BBQ.

It has one of those little blue gas bottles that is out of date and we cant get it filled anymore.

The question

Can i change it over to take the larger bottle with the tap on top? (the ones you swap at the servo)

Do i need the regulator? WIll the same hose with the air holes at the top end be the right one?

Why do the new (4 burner) BBQ's have a regulator and the little one doesnt?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Luddite
29th September 2009, 08:41 PM
David,

Those 3 legged BBQs make me cringe. About 5 years ago I managed to set my sister's beautiful old Federation house alight after a mishap with one of those BBQs.

The house needed to be put out by the fire brigade, extensive damage and a very quiet sister. She has forgiven me now, but it was a tense moment.

Those BBQs are so flimsey I would be really careful, and absolutely definitely use a safety fuse on the bottle.

Cheers,

Anthony

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2009, 09:52 PM
Those BBQs are so flimsey I would be really careful, and absolutely definitely use a safety fuse on the bottle.

A safety fuse on a gas bottle? Or a fuse and detonator? :?

Luddite
29th September 2009, 10:42 PM
A safety fuse on a gas bottle? Or a fuse and detonator? :?

Yeah, that's right, a safety fuse.

The safety fuse detects when there is even a minor leak in the hose and shuts off the gas, before the gas hose melts / burns itself back to the gas bottle.

That is what happened when I managed to toast the sister's house.....the hose caught fire, burned back to the bottle and then blew the top out of the bottle. House soon alight and lots of worried looks:oo:.

Added bonus of the gas fuse is that it tells you when the bottle is empty.

See you,

Anthony

Calm
29th September 2009, 10:45 PM
This is fine but can i just hook up the big bottle or do i need a regulator?

ajw
29th September 2009, 11:08 PM
I think you'll need a regulator if you're wanting to use a 9kg bottle. Your local AGL or BBQ Galore could help with this.

ajw

Calm
30th September 2009, 10:16 AM
Rang Rays Outdoors and was told by a saleswoman/expert on gas something about high pressure (on the primus) and low pressure (on the 4 burner) so dont need a regulator and the gas fuse thingy may give trouble because of the need for high pressure and no regulator so all that is required is a $15 adaptor to change the thread from the little bottle to the tap size on the 9KG bottle.

Thanks all for the help

Question - does a high pressure BBQ burner use more gas than a low pressure one?

Cheers

bsrlee
1st October 2009, 09:36 PM
I'm a bit worried about the advice from Ray's. Unless you can get that advice in writing.......

I managed to blow the soldered pipe seams on a mate's stove by connecting a high pressure regulator instead of a low pressure regulator - the low pressure regulators look like a UFO. The hair grew back after a few weeks :o

A 'Gas Fuse' fitting is a good investment anyway - it also indicates roughly how much gas is left inside the bottle as well as cutting off flow if there is a leak. I think some also have a regulator function as well.

If by a 'blue bottle' you mean a 'Primus' brand bottle - they have an internal regulator in the bottle.

Calm
2nd October 2009, 09:23 AM
Bought the adaptor to change bottles and tested to find all works ok.

Appears the info i received was rioght and the BBQ has now left for the Deni Ute Muster so hope all goes well.

Thanks for your input all.

Cheers