PDA

View Full Version : Apricot fruitwood

keny327
29th September 2009, 09:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone can help me. I have had this apricot tree on my property for as long as i can remember. It is of a good size, parts of it measure nearly 400mm in diameter and around a meter in length. I wish to save this wood for later project as it looks like it would be great wood. It is still in blocks and i am wondering what is the best way to keep it from splitting do i cut it up know and drie it and if so how do i go about this.
Cheers Ken

Ozkaban
29th September 2009, 09:31 PM
I don't know anything specific to apricot wood, but there is a wealth of knowledge in these forums on the topic of drying. Try searching for "drying wood".

If I was after bowl blanks I would cut the wood into slightly longer lengths than the diameter and split down the center. Seal the end grain with a mix of 80% parafin and 20% bees wax (very roughly - it's not hugely important but the bees wax can help the parafin stick). Anything from paint to commercial sealers, etc can be used with varying degrees of success. The idea is to stop the moisture drying out of the end grain too quickly.

the method is much the same for other types of blanks, but avoid slabs that include centre of the tree - I tend to cut it right down the centre and use each half, it should split less. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable people here could confirm this (or tell me I'm talking bollocks!).

Once waxed, weigh it and write the date and the weight on it. You can use they microwave if you want to dry it, but don't cook it or the missus will not be impressed - DAMHIK! I think the rule of thumb for drying is 1 year per inch of thickness, though this can vary wildly. It's dry when the weight no longer changes when you measure it periodically.

Cheers,
Dave

TTIT
29th September 2009, 09:40 PM
I grew up near Shep' and picked cot's as a kid but don't ever remember seeing a 'cot tree that big :2tsup:. Fruit woods are notorious for cracking as they dry but are beautiful to turn so well worth the effort to salvage. Follow what Ozkaban said above - the thicker the sealer the better - Mobilcer just doesn't cut it on those woods. At the size of the log you're talking about, I reckon I'd be slicing it into slabs of no more than 80mm thick to minimize cracking. Good luck with it :2tsup:

BobL
29th September 2009, 09:52 PM
Here we go.

1) Thread about collection and milling - start at post 17 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/apricot-57149/index2.html)
2) Thread about turning apricot oval Turning Handles (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/apricot-handles-68190/)
3) More handles here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/floats-66551/index3.html).

There's a few more - do search for Apricot and my nick.

Here's a sampler.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f14/60438d1195289951-apricot-aprigrain.jpg

I just milled it into 2" thick slabs - I still have 80% of the timber.
It has not split at all but it the two outer most slabs have cupped a fair bit.
It smells fantastic and it looks fabulous!

Jclaude
29th September 2009, 10:16 PM
I got apricot trees ( 10 logs) for three years now, I let the logs in the basement and has never seen any crack (yet!).
I had the chance to work with apricot years ago, making guitars backs and sides and some turning. The wood is very hard and very nice, rarely seen a crack.

Jean Claude from France

keny327
29th September 2009, 11:24 PM
If i was to cut some slabs out of it how would i go about it. I restore old chisels and hand tools when i come across them and i wood like to use some of this apricot tree for that . I have some old guns which belonged to my grandfather in which i have been told are made from apricot wood which i wish to make new stocks for .what would be my best plan of attack be . Is air drying in my garage ok. Thanks for your reply
Cheers Ken

BobL
30th September 2009, 12:09 AM
If i was to cut some slabs out of it how would i go about it. I restore old chisels and hand tools when i come across them and i wood like to use some of this apricot tree for that . I have some old guns which belonged to my grandfather in which i have been told are made from apricot wood which i wish to make new stocks for .what would be my best plan of attack be . Is air drying in my garage ok. Thanks for your reply
Cheers Ken

I cut mine into 2" thick Slabs using a chainsaw mill. If you can get someone to mill it with a bandsaw mill that will save turning some of the wood into sawdust. I did it with a small chainsaw mill because I had one. You don't need to seal the cut faces up - just the ends - I use plastic house paint it works fine.
Air drying in your garage is fine - it will take 1.5 to 2 years. Mine was dry in 6 months because I have a drying shed.

keny327
30th September 2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the advise BobL i will see if i can find someone to mill it for me. short of that as they are only at the longest 1200mm long and the shortest being around 700mm long is it possible to cut them into slabs without a mill if so how would it be done.
Cheers Ken

BobL
1st October 2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the advise BobL i will see if i can find someone to mill it for me. short of that as they are only at the longest 1200mm long and the shortest being around 700mm long is it possible to cut them into slabs without a mill if so how would it be done.
Cheers Ken

Well - you could cut them with a handsaw and by the time you finished you would either have a good set of abs/shoulders/arms :D or you would be dead!

The alternative is using a chain saw freehand but unless you really know what you are doing you can end up just butchering the tree.

Unless you know someone with a huge bandsaw, then it really comes down to a small mill of some kind.

It's a pity I am not close to you - I would mill it for the cost of fuel and the the smell and look of the wood!

Paul39
2nd October 2009, 10:41 AM
I let my blocks sit until a crack or cracks form in the end, then I drive a wedge in the largest split. I work on the theory that if I split where the block has started it will have less of a tendency to split elsewhere.

If you halve them by splitting, and want some for tool handles, split triangles off the edges about 2 to 3 times the diameter of the finished handle. This covers funny splitting. You could salvage blocks that have split several directions by making squares or triangles for tool handles.

I heat with wood, so have 100 or so blocks around in various states of dry. All the wood is free, picked up around town. As I cut and split fire wood I keep choice bits to turn.

I have maple, wild cherry, locust, southern yellow pine, walnut, birch, hemlock stumps, and various "junk" trees. I also use offcuts of construction timber.

I have carefully painted the ends of blocks and just stacked blocks, some on the south side of the house, some on the north side in the shade.

No matter how they are treated, some split funny and some don't.

As I have so much, at no cost, I don't worry too much about random splitting.

BobL
2nd October 2009, 11:12 AM
. . . .
I have maple, wild cherry, locust, southern yellow pine, walnut, birch, hemlock stumps, and various "junk" trees. I also use offcuts of construction timber. . . . . .

As we say in Australia - "you bastard" which translates into "you lucky SOB I am dead jealous that you have access to such nice wood"! Mind you, ours is not too shabby either :2tsup:

Paul39
2nd October 2009, 11:58 AM
You have some absolutely gorgeous woods down there.

There is also some beautiful wood for sale in the woodworking shops. I have seen pieces that I could hold in one hand for "only" 1/3 of my monthly retirement income.

Texian
2nd October 2009, 12:23 PM
Paul,
If this were a U.S. forum it would be appropriate to say "You suck". In this part of Texas we have ash-juniper (cedar), oak trees dead from the drought, and some limited access to mesquite. The oak can be difficult to end up with a decent piece without cracks and splits. The Aussie woods are indeed amazing and wonderful.

keny327
4th October 2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone i i've got it all sorted out just need to find out how to store it now and where.
Cheers Ken

hughie
4th October 2009, 11:18 PM
There is also some beautiful wood for sale in the woodworking shops. I have seen pieces that I could hold in one hand for "only" 1/3 of my monthly retirement income.
[/QUOTE]

This I have noticed, you guys pay through the nose and then some, especially burl stock. I have seen it go for $10-15 per kilo :oo::oo::oo::oo::oo: Some ones getting rich somewhere.