PDA

View Full Version : Coolabah Burls

Claw Hama
7th October 2009, 10:30 PM
Picked up a few nice Coolabah burls form Mal Ward the other day. The smaller burls were easy enough but I had a 20kg piece which even after trimming down to fit on the MC1100 was very heavy and shaping up to be launched into orbit when turned on. I have a large old school Variac speed controler so put that in line and slowed the lathe down as slow as I could without stalling the lathe and just took my time. small one is about 170mm diameter, 230, 250 and the lager one would be around 310ish. finish is home made Danish. Have to catch up with him to get some more.:U

artme
7th October 2009, 10:35 PM
They sure are nice burls Claw and the bowls look great!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Natural edges look good but how many knuckles suffered in the process?

Claw Hama
7th October 2009, 10:38 PM
No wounds at all, kept a very firm grip untill I got them shaped up, they were just a tidg green in the middle which made them not too bad. Wouldn't lilke to do them rock hard.

Rum Pig
7th October 2009, 11:26 PM
very very nice:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
The biggest coolabah burl I have seen is a pen blank so I'm very jealous:~

Ad de Crom
8th October 2009, 01:35 AM
Claw, beautiful wood, the third is my favorite, as I don't like much natural edge bowls, but that's my problem.
Anyway great work!!
Ad :2tsup:

Claw Hama
8th October 2009, 07:23 AM
Thank guys, I will be chasing Mal today for some more but I have to catch him before he takes them all to the Melbourne show.
Ad, I get torn between a nice smooth edge and a natural edge. Two of these are commissions and the large one is a gift, the lady who wants the commissions originaly wanted two natural edge bowls but I will give her the choice of the turned edge as well.
RP, you could get Mal to post you one I'm sure.

Ed Reiss
8th October 2009, 12:14 PM
Good lookin' wood, that coolabah, CH...as for the turnings, ahhhhhh just kidding...you get an A :2tsup::2tsup:

Claw Hama
8th October 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Ed, what a kidder:q:U, yes good looking bit of stick. I spoke to Mal but alas I won't be able to get any more for a couple of weeks. Never mind I have a few other things to carry on with. I will post some boxes on a different thread.