PDA

View Full Version : Dead Finish Lidded Jar

Texian
8th October 2009, 11:43 AM
This is probably one of the very few pieces of Dead Finish in the U.S., thanks to my new best friend in Australia, Vern Bunn (TTIT). You might say this is a spherical turning, as it contains wood from both northern and southern hemispheres. The lid is mesquite and the finial is osage orange, both from Texas. Had intended to ebonize the lid and finial, but received orders from the Chief to leave as is. The piece is about 114 mm tall plus 89 mm finial. Wonderful wood, hard, dense, cuts beautifully and sands to almost mirror smoothness. Thanks again Vern. BTW if you haven't visited Vern's website you have missed a treat. It's one of the best I've seen.

Rum Pig
8th October 2009, 11:58 AM
Very nice:2tsup::2tsup:

I like the shape/form you have chosen well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
8th October 2009, 12:07 PM
Nicely done Tex...the clean, uncomplicated lines worked well :2tsup:

Texian
8th October 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks Rum & Ed, Thought I had the pic bright enough to show off the red in the DF, but not quite. Sorry about that. The little white spot is a bit of sap wood from a branch at that point.

Gil Jones
8th October 2009, 03:32 PM
Fine looking turning, and interesting woods.

Ad de Crom
8th October 2009, 05:19 PM
Richard, very attractive and beautiful. Smooth like a baby bump and shiny.
The chief of the house told you the right thing...)))
Great job :2tsup:
Ad

artme
8th October 2009, 08:13 PM
Beautiful work Richard!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The proportions are spot on and the finish is great. I think Ken W. would be pleased with the the finial.

Dead Finish is typical of our inland Acacias. Hard as the hobbs of hell. colourful and great to finish.

Couple of interesting versions of the story that gives the name to the timber. One concerns an Aboriginal who told a white settler that when this tree took over the land it indicated the land was of no further use "HIM dead- finish"
The other version has roughlty the sane endind but revolves around fellows riding through country where they cae upon a stand of this timber and could not get through it- a dead finish.

jefferson
8th October 2009, 09:27 PM
So who let Dead Finish out of the country???

Texian
9th October 2009, 05:19 AM
Jeff, You mean I have the ONLY piece in the U.S.? That's cool. Thanks again everyone for your comments. I appreciate it. I tried to make a simple piece that would show off the wood.

TTIT
9th October 2009, 10:38 AM
So who let Dead Finish out of the country???Bit of trading for the egg collection :;

Gotta feel sorry for the Yanks 'cos their wood is so colourless. Maybe that's why they get so artistic with their turning - add a bit of detail and colour to hide the blandness. Love the work of people like Doug Fisher (http://www.douglasjfisher.com/index.html)- but it could be any crap wood at all - or not even wood for that matter :shrug:

Nice work Richard :2tsup:

munruben
9th October 2009, 11:18 AM
Really nice. lovely work:2tsup:

bellyup
9th October 2009, 01:55 PM
I agree with the sentiments above, great job Tex.
And your right about Vern's website, its a beauty.

Texian
9th October 2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks Vern, John, and BU. Beginning to feel "at home" here and understand why Ed is here a lot.

Gotta love the Australian woods (timbers). Such a variety of beautiful and varied material to work with.

Thanks again y'all.

hughie
10th October 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Tex, Dead Finish looks real good, great stuff to turn.

Have been promising myself a trip up to see Vern together some of his desert timbers Dead Finish, Gidgee and the like.

Texian
10th October 2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Hughie. Have a nice little piece of gidgee too but not sure what to make. Probably a small lidded box. The DF just "spoke" to me the instant I saw it.

TTIT
10th October 2009, 09:58 PM
..........Have been promising myself a trip up to see Vern ..............You're welcome anytime Hughie - make it sooner rather than later though - you never know what's just around the corner for any of us :;