PDA

View Full Version : Cabatec lathe

bowl-basher
12th October 2009, 08:27 AM
G'Day All
I am seriously considering buying the lathe in the pic the specs as given by Carbatec are "Heavy Duty, cast-iron bed for added stability and minimal vibration. Headstock swivels 360° with 45° and 90° stops for outboard turning. Electronic variable speed drive, select from seven speeds ranging between 450 to 3000 rpm. Four inch tailstock travel. 14" tool rest and a 6" face plate included. Spindle features positive indexing in 10? increments for fast fluting and veining. Also features a mushroom stop switch on a moveable magnetic base - place it where it's easy to reach!"
The price seems ok around $2500 and they have some special price deals on in the near future
Just wondering if any one has one or has used one and can comment
All comments needed
Thanks Bowl Basher

Big Shed
12th October 2009, 09:57 AM
Whilst I haven't studied this lathe in detail, Hare & Forbes have a very similar model, the WL46 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W387). It has a 2hp variable speed motor (2 ranges) 4" tailstock travel etc.

At least one guy on Penturners Paradise pen forum speaks very highly of the equivalent model he purchased in Canada. He does bowl turning on it as well as pepper mills and pens.

The H&F model is on special atm for $1650, might be worth a look.

Paul39
12th October 2009, 10:20 AM
Specs look good, you really need to at least play with one, if not actually turn something.

Would be nice to know distance between centers. Nothing like being 3 cm too short to make a table leg.

450 RPM is a bit uncomfortable for me with an out of balance chunk of stump.

I turn bowls from gnarly chunks of crotch wood and stumps, dragged out of the wood pile, with enough extraneous hacked off so it doesn't hit the bed. You may use tidier, balanced blanks.

<table class="spectable" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td class="speccell" width="50%">swing over bed</td> <td class="speccell" width="50%">406mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell" height="22">bed length</td> <td class="speccell">1100mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">spindle thread</td> <td class="speccell">M30 x 3.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">hole through tailstock</td> <td class="speccell">9.5mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">spindle RPM</td> <td class="speccell">variable - 450 to 3000rpm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">indexing positions</td> <td class="speccell">36</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">morse taper</td> <td class="speccell">MT2</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">headstock movement</td> <td class="speccell">swivels 360° and slides</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">motor</td> <td class="speccell">1-1/2hp 240v</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">net weight</td> <td class="speccell">160kg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">shipping weight</td> <td class="speccell">185kg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">packing size</td> <td class="speccell">1900 x 750 x 800mm</td></tr></tbody></table>

issatree
12th October 2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Bowl basher,
That Lathe seems to be OK, but have a look at the Big Jet Lathe. They did come down to approx. $2200, but that was at the Melb. Wood Show 2008.
If you want to up the ante, go for the Vicmarc 175. I think they are approx. $3200.
You wouldn't call the Queen your Aunty with one of them.
Both of these have the same as the C/Tec Lathe, although the Jet Head slides to the end of the bed, so you have all that distance to the floor.
Well that's my bit.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

bowl-basher
12th October 2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks Guys
I have had the lathe running at the store and the 450 rpm is the top of the low range I actualy had it running at 35rpm and there was no way I could even slow it down putting pressure on the chuck with a wrap of cloth.. had a look at the Hare & forbes one and am not impressed with the finish or the locking detail of the head also the Carbatec head slides to any point along the bed I see this as a major plus but I may be wrong have been many times before and probably will be again
Havent had a look at the Jet, who sells them in Sydney????
thanks again for all your imput as you all know it is a chunk of money and a big decision as I hope this will last me for the rerst of my turning days
Bowl-Basher

NeilS
12th October 2009, 11:06 PM
Also keep in mind that you could buy a very decent secondhand lathe for $2.5k. You might have to bide your time until one comes up (but there is going to be more in Sydney than most other cities), but you would definitely end up with a lathe that would see you out if you got a good buy.

hughie
12th October 2009, 11:21 PM
Also keep in mind that you could buy a very decent secondhand lathe for $2.5k. You might have to bide your time until one comes up (but there is is going to be more in Sydney than most other cities), but you would definitely end up with a lathe that would see you out if you got a good buy.

This makes good sense and could well end up with a far better lathe in the long run. At the end of the day if the second had lathe has been looked after. There will little wrong with than maybe a noisy bearing or two.This may seem a major problem but if you get it for a good price because of this you will win further, bearings are easy fixed/replaced.

Paul39
13th October 2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks Guys
I have had the lathe running at the store and the 450 rpm is the top of the low range I actualy had it running at 35rpm and there was no way I could even slow it down putting pressure on the chuck with a wrap of cloth.
Bowl-Basher

This is a big plus. The three year warranty is nice. I can see that having the headstock at the end of the bed would be useful.

Assuming quality control is good, new is very nice if one likes to set up the lathe and turn wood.

On the other hand if one is patient and willing to look at a lot of lathes, wonderful bargains can be had.

I bought a Hegner 175, (350mm swing) with stout shop made bench, Oneway chuck, Oneway live center set, 8 inch grinder with WOLVERINE Grinding System and the fixed bowl gouge grinding jig. Also 3 walnut crotches.

All the stuff was almost new, some bits still new in box, and the seller (second owner) had the outfit for 6 years and had not used anything but the grinder.

I got it all for $600 and I was not holding a gun.

After turning for years with inadequate lathes and no chuck, this upped my enjoyment and output considerably. I make bowls and weed pots.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

cqvillas
13th October 2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Bowl Basher,

I also have been looking at this lathe and I would appreciate some feedback if you go ahead & purchase one. Like you said, it's a fairly substantial outlay & it would be nice to here from someone that has used one before making that decision.

Cheers,
Nev.

Calm
13th October 2009, 02:33 PM
A couple of points i would make are

The method of tightening the swivel head - if "cam lock" same as hafco MC900 clone is prone to loosen when load (slight out of balance) is high.

The banjo for the tool rest appears too light to use in outboard position - extended as far as possible from bed. I think the vibration would be too much for suuccesful turning.

What is the method of tightening the toolrest & tailstock to bed.

Compare these points to a Vicmark, Stubby or similar.

Would it be possible to use a VIcmark or Stubby Tool rest banjo.

Cheers

Ozkaban
13th October 2009, 03:17 PM
Does that lathe use the Reeves Pulley system? I couldn't get to the carbatec website to check. If so, i'd be hesitant to spend that amount on that system. I'm ok with it on my cheapy MC1100, but if I was spending that sort of money I'd probably look at the Nova DVR XP for $3200 delivered at Carrolls. They are a nice unit :2tsup: If I could stretch further, probably a VL175, but then you'd have to build the stand for the one that's reasonably close in price...

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
13th October 2009, 03:18 PM
:doh: I'm an idiot.

Didn't see the "Electronic Variable Speed" thing... Feel free to ignore me :rolleyes:

issatree
13th October 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi bowl-basher,
Like Calm has said, buy a slightly cheaper Lathe & you get slightly cheaper parts.
If you look around there are a lot of Lathes for sale, 2nds that is. I think you should save up & go for a VL175 or the Jet. I have used both of these in the past, & can't fault them except the price of the Vicmarc VL175. Half the the time you can't hear them going, that's the way they are engineered.
As for bearings, I own a "Tough Lathe". It travels on 3000rpm most days it is used, & that is often, & I have never had a problem with bearings, but I do maintain them once a year ?. I bought it new in 1990 for $1010. Have never had a problem with it.
The Nova was mentioned, hoping the V/S has changed, as you had to thumb the speed up & down, where most of the others have a knob to turn.
I've said enough.
Regards,
issatree.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

NeilS
13th October 2009, 09:31 PM
I can see that having the headstock at the end of the bed would be useful.

Yes, this allows you to turn larger bowls/platters, but then you have to buy or make an outrigger to be able to do this (having eliminated the toolrest on the bed option in this position). Vicmarc have a good looking one for a mere $600....:U

artme
14th October 2009, 08:44 PM
I had a look at the C-T lathe a couple of years ago with a very competent and very experienced turner. His objections were:

#casting around the headstock is very light

#Swivel head uses cam-lock.

#Slowest speed far too fast for large blanks.

Banjo, toolrest and extension too light for outboard work.

The Hafco lathe is much more heavily constructed, the low speed is 100rpm:2tsup:, the headsttosck and motor travel to the other end of the bed for outboard turning.The machine is a take on the big Jet Lathes.It is, in my opinion, a far superior machine to the C_T.

I have seen this model ( different brand) sold and demonstrated by David Drescher of South East Qld. Woodturning Supplies. Quite impressed. A couple of mates have brought them from him and are more than happy

bowl-basher
15th October 2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks all for your valued comments
I have had an offer of a second hand 3 year old Nova DVR electronic speed control for around $1800.00 what would be the thoughts on this
Bowl-Basher

NeilS
15th October 2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks all for your valued comments
I have had an offer of a second hand 3 year old Nova DVR electronic speed control for around $1800.00 what would be the thoughts on this
Bowl-Basher

The price is OK, at about half price of new DVR XP. The quality should be OK. Teknatool have been manufacturing in China recently (not sure about their lathes, but definitely their chucks) and the quality has been variable since then, but if lathe is 3 years old then should predate that anyway.

Rarely hear a complaint from any DVR users on the forum.

Only possible concern is the integrated motor/electronics. Unlike other lathes where you can replace the motor as a separate component at a reasonable cost, but may be very expensive to repair the drive unit in the DVR. But then, haven't heard of anyone having any problems with their drive units.

PS - a better buy, IMHO, than the Carbatacky for $2.2K

PPS - Does it have the outrigger? Needed for larger outboard turning.

bowl-basher
15th October 2009, 01:04 PM
[.

PS - a better buy, IMHO, than the Carbatacky for $2.2K

PPS - Does it have the outrigger? Needed for larger outboard turning.

....[/QUOTE]
Not sure will have to ask the question

artme
16th October 2009, 12:25 AM
DVR?? Go for it!!!! Outrigger can be made or bought. Least of your concerns.

bowl-basher
19th October 2009, 08:36 AM
:oo::oo::oo:the bullet is bitten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:oo::oo:
Had a good look at the Nova that was at Trend Timbers ( one of the lathes from their school) and a long chat to Adrian. They intend to replace the nova with one of their new Coguar range so after a bit of serious beating around the head a deal was struck and a NEW Cougar was loaded in to the ute.... Full cast iron bed and stand (it took 3 strong men to get it set up on its stand,two speed ranges, electronic speed control, banjo and tailstock almost identical to Vicmark,built in work light. head rotates outboard with posilock positioning in 5 places the finish of the bed with the rails ground on the top and 2 edges is a real treat. I gave it a bit of a trial with an off center lump of burl :p:p:p:p never new it could be so much fun .. the other good thing is that my old MC900 loks like going to a newbie turner from my club
Will post some picks tonight
thanks for all your help
Bowl-Basher

Manuka Jock
19th October 2009, 10:18 AM
Cougar lathes ? I tried to find them on the net .
Do you have any info on them ?

and a pic of yours ... :2tsup:

bowl-basher
19th October 2009, 10:26 AM
will post pics to night
regards
Bowl -basher

NeilS
19th October 2009, 11:15 AM
Hmmm... if this (http://www.bcmachinery.com/index.php?page=cart&cart_section=product&cart_product_id=3112) is it, sure like the steady... :U.

Calm
19th October 2009, 11:27 AM
Hmmm... if this (http://www.bcmachinery.com/index.php?page=cart&cart_section=product&cart_product_id=3112) is it, sure like the steady... :U.

Did you notice the price In stubbies that is a 750 and the new swivel head 250.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH to have 2 stubbies in the one shed:B:B:roll::roll:

I think we need to wait for the photos

Cheers

Ed Reiss
19th October 2009, 11:42 AM
Hey BB...always thought that Cougars were older women going after younger men...didn't think you were that young !!!:no::roll::D:D

Manuka Jock
19th October 2009, 03:03 PM
Hey BB...always thought that Cougars were older women going after younger men...didn't think you were that young !!!:no::roll::D:D

:clap3:

bowl-basher
19th October 2009, 08:38 PM
:D:D:D
Still smiling just came in from the shed after giving the new girl a bit of a run finished the burl and stuck a bit of camphor on just to try the speed out........ boy it cuts sweet at 3000 checked the speed on the burl and I could spin it at 460 with no vibration in the bed at all the only comment is that the work light could be 6" longer but I think I can live with that Trend will have the outrigger in a few weeks it looks the same as the nova ,bolts on to the leg with a long rise on the banjo
I never realised that the MC900 was about 6'' lower than the new one what a difference that makes :o:o
Thanks for all the help
Bowl Basher

Manuka Jock
19th October 2009, 09:12 PM
Good score Bash , thats a fine machine :2tsup:

Ozkaban
19th October 2009, 09:16 PM
Nice looking lathe! I don't know much about the Cougars, but it's always good to see more competition...

Cheers,
Dave

GC
19th October 2009, 10:10 PM
Ok, so what does a cougar cost???

lol

GC

artme
19th October 2009, 10:14 PM
Now that is a much better looking machine than the C-T. Glad you are happy with it.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

American I guess, but made where?

bowl-basher
19th October 2009, 10:22 PM
it is made in Taiwan like most things we have in this state
The boys at Trend are happy with the range and I guess if they can put it in their school it will do me anyway.....in the pic it is a bit hard to show the standard of finish but the grind on three sides of the rails was a winner for me
Bowl -Basher

bowl-basher
19th October 2009, 10:24 PM
OPPS sorry about that $2000.00 with a 16MM p&n bowl gouge thrown in

NeilS
20th October 2009, 07:34 AM
OPPS sorry about that $2000.00 with a 16MM p&n bowl gouge thrown in

If the quality is there as you say BB, then the Cougar looks like a good value for money lathe. Cast iron legs are a bonus.

The competition looks to be the JET EVS 2HP and Woodfast C1000X, both worth about a $1.5K more.

Any chance of a picy of the specs page from the manual?

What is the cost of the outrigger?

Look forward to hearing how it performs over time, BB.

Ozkaban
20th October 2009, 08:47 AM
That seems to be very good value for money. Will certainly test drive one when I get around to upgrading! Did you mean that they have replaced the DVR's in the 'school' (AKA shipping container) with these?

I've bought one of those 16mm bowl gouges, and wish I had the 12mm instead! Too bloody big for most of the work I do. Solid lump of steel though :D

Cheers,
Dave

Paul39
20th October 2009, 09:47 AM
Very nice & good price.

How much does it weigh?

Happy Turning!

TTIT
20th October 2009, 09:54 AM
Looks like a Jet without the red and black stripes - much like the one our club bought recently. Have fun :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
20th October 2009, 11:43 AM
Sweet lookin' lathe, BB ....hope it does all you need it to do :2tsup:

bowl-basher
20th October 2009, 01:30 PM
That seems to be very good value for money. Will certainly test drive one when I get around to upgrading! Did you mean that they have replaced the DVR's in the 'school' (AKA shipping container) with these?

I've bought one of those 16mm bowl gouges, and wish I had the 12mm instead! Too bloody big for most of the work I do. Solid lump of steel though :D

Cheers,
Dave
DAVE
they are replacing 2 of the nover's in that nice air conditioned class room ( aka the shipping container) I think that will be if and when the novers are sold
You are more than welcome to test drive mine when ever you want

bowl- basher

wheelinround
19th November 2009, 08:22 PM
Dave hows that Cougar going I see Trend (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php?id=144)has it up on there site now

http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/images/site/promos/CougarWoodworker.jpg

bowl-basher
20th November 2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Wheeling
I am totaly pleased with the Cougar it dose all I want and more and is so quiet
A dream to turn pens with the top speed of around 3600
Happy to recomend it
Bowl-Basher

Ad de Crom
20th November 2009, 08:18 PM
Graham, I know you are very happy with your new baby. It's seems to me that you are infected with pen turning the latest time, maybe I have to try that someday by myself.
Have fun with your new baby.
Ad

wheelinround
21st November 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Wheeling
I am totaly pleased with the Cougar it dose all I want and more and is so quiet
A dream to turn pens with the top speed of around 3600
Happy to recomend it
Bowl-Basher

Pens :o come now give it a real work out and Bash a Bowl :U