PDA

View Full Version : NIP green turned bowl - WIP.

tea lady
13th October 2009, 10:34 PM
Started at the turn on at 's on Saturday. Most people left by 3ish. I didn't have to be anywhere for another 2 hours. :think: What does one do with 2 hours, a whole workshop full of tools and lathes, and an NIP log? :rolleyes:

We cut the log to a circle on 's band saw. You can fit 11 inches under there.:cool: then screwed it to a screw chuck and turned it round. Made a tennon to go into the big jaws on the little chuck. Bought up the tail stock for support until most of the center was turned out and the bowl was somewhat lighter. I did some of the hollowing, but got in there when he got sick of watching my slow motion turning. Made some very pretty curlies.:cool:

A very rare pic of Robboo putting the lathe speed down.:rolleyes:

hollowing.

The hazards of watching hollowing.:D

Making curlies.

Skew and Calm inspecting the curlies.

After much hollowing, me nearing the bottom.

Dramatic arty pic taken by .:cool:

The bowl was then wrapped up in a plastic bag with shavings so it wouldn't dry out, to be returned to in a few days. I then had to race off to be somewhere by 6.45. Made it with minutes to spare.:cool:

tea lady
13th October 2009, 10:53 PM
returned to 's today, to continue the NIP bowl.

After further hollowing to an even thickness of about 1 inch, I refined the out side shape, and sanded to about 240#. I had had discussions on another thread about using CA to stabilized the soft patches of grain, but have decided to leave it as it is, holes and all. (Or at least leave the decision till later.:rolleyes: )

I then progressively thinned the walls on the inside in 1 inch steps, down to about 8mm thickness. I decided on an ever so subtle inward curve in the top 1 or 2 inches rather than a dead straight sides so that the sides are a continuous curve from the base. (And from my pottery I know that this is a slightly stronger form cos the two way curve is harder to flex and I think looks a bit stronger. Although not really perceived by a viewer. Anyway that's my theory. :cool:)

I then had to race off again. This time to pick Small Boy up from school. The bowl was wrapped again in its plastic bag and curlies, to be worked on next week. Hopefully the hollowing out to finished thickness will be completed before disappears for MONTHS. :C I will bring it home then, to be anointed with danish oil or some such thing while it dries out. :cool:

Stay tuned till next week. :D

dai sensei
13th October 2009, 11:00 PM
Keep the pics coming TL, looking good.

NeilS
13th October 2009, 11:02 PM
Tag Turning, perhaps a new sport...:wink:

Looking forward to seeing the NIP bowl when all done.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th October 2009, 11:12 PM
Good call on the curve. I still think that it would've looked better if even more pronounced to show off the knots on the rim, almost a semi-enclosed urn shape. Still, with so many cooks offering advice at the time... :rolleyes:

So, it hadn't ovalled during it's time in the bag?

Now that you've turned it down to only 1cm or so thickness, you really want to finish it asap before the gremlins decide to roost...

tea lady
13th October 2009, 11:26 PM
Good call on the curve. I still think that it would've looked better if even more pronounced to show off the knots on the rim, almost a semi-enclosed urn shape. Still, with so many cooks offering advice at the time... :rolleyes:

Now that you've turned it down to only 1cm or so thickness, you really want to finish it asap before the gremlins decide to roost...Will be getting back to it next Tuesday. All wrapped upp safely. Hadn't ovated* at all since Saturday.:cool:

* Spell checker reckons this is how you spell ovalled. :think: :shrug: :D

Ed Reiss
14th October 2009, 11:52 AM
hmmmm...didn't know that bowls ovated:o

Waldo
14th October 2009, 01:05 PM
hmmmm...didn't know that bowls ovulated:o

How else do you think you get little baby trees? :D

NeilS
14th October 2009, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Skew ChiDAMN!!;1048150]

QUOTE]

Had the same thought myself when I read the thickness, then remembered it had been turned endgrain, not crossgrain. So maybe a little wobble around the knots, but no serious ov******... :U.

tea lady
14th October 2009, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=Skew ChiDAMN!!;1048150]

QUOTE]

Had the same thought myself when I read the thickness, then remembered it had been turned endgrain, not crossgrain. So maybe a little wobble around the knots, but no serious ov******... :U.

.....When was the full morn this month? :think:

:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2009, 12:38 AM
I wake up pretty full most morn's. But it soon passes. :whistling2::U

Ed Reiss
15th October 2009, 12:41 PM
groan:rolleyes:

artme
16th October 2009, 12:31 AM
I think all this clever playing with words deserves an ovation.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

tea lady
22nd October 2009, 06:10 PM
Managed to get back to 's today. After unwrapping the bowl we discovered that it STILL hadn't ovated.:p So hollowing to final thickness continued.

I used mesh sandpaper so that it didn' clog with sanding green wood. Worked really well.119979

Nearing the base we needed 2 more inches on the tool rest. So it was clamped on with multi grips. Wouldn't do this for heavy cuts, but since its only the final refining it was OK.

The base kinda refined and smooth, but having a littel trouble with tear out and catches.

's scraper that I was using (cos all mine are small:doh: ) was a reground skew and I noticed the bit that still had some skew profile on it (ie: was "back bevelled" ) was doing a better job, so we back bevelled the whole things.:cool:

Using the back bevelled scraper.

the finish "off the chisel, with some fine curlies.

Sanded to 180ish #. Not quite as well as I would usually do it, but I had to race off again and be mother.:rolleyes:

The piece in profile, off the lathe.:cool: Will be tucked up in a box surrounded by shavings to dry slowly. Then to be massaged with oils and abrasives. At some time in the future. (Maybe I should weigh it? :think:) :cool:

And so now to wait. :tappingfingers: I hate waiting.:kickstone: :rolleyes: Oh well. Other things to do in the mean time. Two other logs for a start.:cool::U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2009, 06:32 PM

It looks like you called that one right, Neil!

It has come up looking good, TL. :2tsup: A bit plain for my taste, but the grain should make up for that once it's oiled... it should really pop, then.

I would never have thought of extending the rest that way. I hope I never need to! But it's one I'll keep filed away for future reference "in case of need. :;

dai sensei
22nd October 2009, 10:04 PM
Looking great, shame grain is a bot boring, but you could always texture it.

What thickness did you get it down to, and how uniform is it? Did you try a light inside or out to check uniformity?

tea lady
22nd October 2009, 10:19 PM
Looking great, shame grain is a bot boring, but you could always texture it.

What thickness did you get it down to, and how uniform is it? Did you try a light inside or out to check uniformity?Its about 8 mm thick. Fairly even maybe a little thicker at the bottom, but the weight doesn;t feel to bad so I'm happy! Too thick for translucent isn't it? Haven't put any finish or oil on it yet. There is spalting and interesting grain that I reckon will show up when it's oiled. :cool:

Ed Reiss
23rd October 2009, 12:28 PM
Good job TL...maybe you should go for the translucent thing, ya only live once!!!:D

tea lady
23rd October 2009, 02:10 PM
Good job TL...maybe you should go for the translucent thing, ya only live once!!!:DI've got two other logs so will live more dangerously with them.:cool:

NeilS
24th October 2009, 12:30 PM
Looking great, shame grain is a bot boring ...........

Always hard to tell from just one photo, but I don't find the grain boring myself. I also find the form works well for the this piece of wood turned end grain.

Not a lot of woodturners do them, but end grain bowls have quite different characteristics to side grain bowls. With end grain turning you can get interesting horizontal/vertical intersections.... eg the dark vertical flecks intersecting with the horizontal growth rings near the bottom of TL's bowl. Spalting also creates considerable interest in end grain pieces.

I'm interested to see the piece when eventually finished, TL.

tea lady
24th October 2009, 02:29 PM
I'm interested to see the piece when eventually finished, TL.

.....Me too! :twiddlethumbs: I could oil it now couldn't I? I wanted to wait till I knew whether I needed to stabilize any bits. :shrug: :taptoe:

:D

Little Festo
1st November 2009, 10:30 PM
Anna Maria,

I was inspired to turn a piece of hoop pine after seeing your post, got it nice and thin - without any accidents. The tree came down about a month ago so still nice and green. It's just had it's first oiling today and the knots are starting to distort, will end up with a squarish top. Will post a pic when it's finished.

Peter

tea lady
1st November 2009, 11:53 PM
Anna Maria,

I was inspired to turn a piece of hoop pine after seeing your post, got it nice and thin - without any accidents. The tree came down about a month ago so still nice and green. It's just had it's first oiling today and the knots are starting to distort, will end up with a squarish top. Will post a pic when it's finished.

PeterLook forward to seeing your's. Mine still hasn't ovated.:cool::D All tucked up in it shavings.:zzzsoft:

Little Festo
2nd November 2009, 12:55 AM
Keep an eye on the knots, they tend to split/crack. A bit of CA glue is a good to "set" them if they do.

Peter

tea lady
2nd November 2009, 09:03 AM
Keep an eye on the knots, they tend to split/crack. A bit of CA glue is a good to "set" them if they do.

Peter:2tsup::cool: