PDA

View Full Version : Jointer maintenance

Sasha
9th August 2004, 01:55 AM
Hi Guys,
I've just purchased a jointer. Whats the best way of maintaining the table?
Particularly to prevent rust etc.
Thanks

silentC
9th August 2004, 09:30 AM
Do a search on 'rust' for heaps of information on this subject.

I wipe my tables down and apply Ubeaut Traditional Wax to them and have never had a rust problem.

ryanarcher
9th August 2004, 09:47 AM
try the product called top-cote. It's designed for exactly what you are looking for: I've found it works great.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page=40952&category=1,43415,43440

-ryan

morry
9th August 2004, 06:22 PM
Be careful if you use your jointer to prepare edges for glueups and have freshly prepared the table with paste wax as the wax will end up on your timber for the first few passes and could degrade the glue adhesion. It keeps the rust at bay though.

Sasha
9th August 2004, 10:13 PM
Thats exactly what I was worried about. I didn't want to apply something to the table that would come off onto the wood and interfere with either gluing or staining.
Ryan - that spray sounds pretty good. But is it available in Australia? Does it come under a different name? Whats the ingredients?
I could order it from Lee Valley but I also thought that you could not send pressurised cans by airmail. In case it explodes.
Has anyone come in contact with this Top cote in Australia?

silentC
10th August 2004, 08:55 AM
degrade the glue adhesion
Never had a problem with that myself. I polish the wax off, so there's very little residue. I probably reapply it about once every month or so.

Anything you put on the table, including Top Cote, is going to come off eventually as you slide timber over it, otherwise you'd never need to replace it. Where do you suppose it ends up?

Gumpy
10th August 2004, 09:32 AM
How things have changed. I would never of thought you would have to spray the table of a jointer. I have used them for years and have never done that, but then these are commercial units. The tables now must be made out of a low quality steel.

Daniel

silentC
10th August 2004, 09:42 AM
There's two reasons for doing it. The first is that it helps prevent rust. Anything that contains iron will rust under the right conditions. The tables on all of my machines, with the exception of the thicknesser, are made from cast iron. I live a stone's throw from the ocean and if I didn't put wax on them, they'd have a layer of rust on them within a couple of hours.

The second reason is that it reduces friction. After polishing the tables with wax, the timber glides along like it's on wheels.

If you're talking about commercial machinery like you'd find in a joinery, then that is a different story but you'll find that most people asking questions on this forum have their own machines at home and the tables will be cast, not steel.

bitingmidge
11th August 2004, 08:42 PM
.........AND I'm not sure how far from the salt laden air Silent is, but my machinery is about 15 metres (as the midge flies) from the water's edge, so any metal that gets left out for more than about a week ends up with a flat brown dusty cover.

I find the magic "Silverglide" applied with a green scourer and buffed lasts 6 months between applications.

Cheers,

P

Sasha
12th August 2004, 12:46 AM
Whats the "Silverglide"? Where can you get it?

gatiep
12th August 2004, 01:20 AM
A product that is readily available in Australia and is used to prevent rust on machines and lubricate tight stuff by some machinary suppliers that I know is called " INOX". It is in an aerosol, just wipe the jointer table before use although I've never had a problem

Poloris
12th August 2004, 02:51 AM
I have used a polish made of 50/50 paraffin wax and gum turpentine.
It is really a wood polish but when used on my planner tables it gave me a nice slippery non-marking surface.
After 18 months there is no hint of corrosion and it has a real nice eucalyptus smell.

barnsey
12th August 2004, 03:13 AM
OK Polaris - where do I get this polish.
Apart from my cast aluminum saw tables I can get a rust finish in no time. Guess that's the problem living in paradise with ocean views - well someone has to do it!!!
Might be different in Isa though - see other post.
I've tried candle wax and numerous polishes/lubricants without being happy with any really - even tried the cardboard table template sprayed with WD40 style moisture repellant and still I have to get out the steel wool to clean things up

Poloris
12th August 2004, 10:59 AM
Made the polish myself using materials from Bunnies, I had to warm the paraffin wax up to liquidfy it before mixing.

craigb
12th August 2004, 11:12 AM
Whats the "Silverglide"? Where can you get it?

Silverglide is a polish/lubricant for machine surfaces.

Carbatec sell it in Sydney. I imagine that MIK would sell it in Adelaide.

Cliff Rogers
13th August 2004, 12:46 AM
G'day.

Watch out for the gum turpentine... see warnings elsewhere in these forums.

For getting rid of the rust & then controlling it,
here's my answer to this problem from another post.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=65216#post65216
I haven't tried the Silverglide yet but it's getting the thumbs up from a few others on this BB