PDA

View Full Version : I've been a very naughty boy at the WWW show

Grumpy John
17th October 2009, 07:40 PM
In RSSR's (Ern) absence and seeing as Jefferson was a no show at the WWW show I think I have taken over as the new tool junkie. I dropped over a grand at the show today, the list of goodies is:
Bowl Saver
Sorby Spiralling & Texturing System
Escoulen Chuck, M30 Ball, Ball Adaptor, M30 Faceplate
Escoulen DVD
Neil's Polishing Bible

Jim loves me, but I don't think was too impressed (he hates gimmicks). The only purchase he prolly approves of is Neil's bible :D.

What did others buy?

Groggy
17th October 2009, 08:34 PM
and the lot of it nearly came home with me. :D Curses, two minutes and I would have had to take it home for 'safe keeping'.

Nice haul John, I will ring your missus tomorrow if I remember :wink:

issatree
17th October 2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Grumpy, Groggy, Stinky & to all,
What a great Show, All that room. Hope Stinky tell you all of his Entries in the Royal Geelong Agri. Show this same weekend, & he is good with Pics as well, so we may see all his Entries.
All the great stuff available to buy. Issatree's pockets are very very deep.
Was going to look at the Hamlet 3/8" 2060 Gouge, No Go. Asked around, told not to bother as you have to have a Black Wheel to Sharpen the thing. Asked hughie about it, & he will most likely get back to me.

The one thing that has taken off is Buying a Tormek Wet Grinder/Sharpener.
Told to stay back awhile & watch the guys Demoing the Tormek, & he said they have to Restraighten the wheel for the next day. Anyway I don't have 600+, & I think I can get my Chisels Sharp enough for what I do, as I have a 60G. & a 120G wheels,& I keep them in good condition,

I've bought, some Queen Ebony, Small Eye Screws, Easy Lap 102mm x 52mm. 800G. that came off it's wood stand, brand new $10.
A piece of 8 x 8mm. HSS 230mm long, from McJing. Can't fault this Steele, good enough for me.
A few pieces of Houn tomorrow, for Spurtles & the likes.
That's about all the buys I'll have.

Might like the have the Off Centre Chuck, but how many times will I use it.

It sure was Great to meet all the Forum People today, I just hope I can remember them all.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

John Saxton
17th October 2009, 09:03 PM
As Groggy said you're lucky to get home with that haul.

Just as well your missus is working late John ...time enough to hide all that loot.:D

As to what I bought at the show, well if'n Groggy had'nt led me astray then I would have got away with a clean bill of health for the credit card.

cheers:)

nalmo
17th October 2009, 10:25 PM
Was a good day at WWW as usual. Good to see a lot of interest at the Forum stand. I'm always happy if I come away learning at least one new thing about turning.

Having bought a decent dust mask, new chuck and Tormek turning kit to install on the bench grinder kept me smiling all day. Finally remember I had a camera in the bag and snapped some forum members hard at work on the stand.

Woodwould
17th October 2009, 10:44 PM
Grumpy John was grinning from ear to ear. I spent a hell of a lot less than I thought I would. Two blokes were writing their names on the Walnut I came to buy just as I spotted it. I bought a slab of Mulberry, a pack of colour-coded paper, a few bits and pieces and a plane.

I met up with a few other forumites which was great and actually got to say hello to Neil at long last. He's not as bad as everyone makes out.

tea lady
17th October 2009, 10:47 PM
In RSSR's (Ern) absence and seeing as Jefferson was a no show at the WWW show I think I have taken over as the new tool junkie. I dropped over a grand at the show today, the list of goodies is:
Bowl Saver
Sorby Spiralling & Texturing System
Escoulen Chuck, M30 Ball, Ball Adaptor, M30 Faceplate
Escoulen DVD
Neil's Polishing Bible

Jim loves me, but I don't think was too impressed (he hates gimmicks). The only purchase he prolly approves of is Neil's bible :D.

What did others buy?:oo: jeez what a hall. :faint: All I'm gonna get is a micro detail gouge. :saddest:

munruben
17th October 2009, 10:53 PM
Sounds like its a good show. :2tsup:

artme
17th October 2009, 10:56 PM
I usually get tossed out of the Brisie show for dribbling on things I can't afford.:D:D:q

orificiam
17th October 2009, 10:59 PM
Hi to everyone I'd like to take this opportunity to Thank the Staff of the Forum for providing a place to seat and rest and recharge with a good cup of coffee or two.
It was great to meet a couple of forumites.
Thanks again.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

Waldo
17th October 2009, 11:32 PM
I snaffled a saw blade from Sawstop, the rotten thing had a blue and silver thing like a brake caliper fused to it so I don't know that I'll be able to use the damn thing :doh3: Also got a superseded nicad Metabo 18v cordless drill. :2tsup:

tea lady
17th October 2009, 11:41 PM
I snaffled a saw blade from Sawstop, the rotten thing had a blue and silver thing like a brake caliper fused to it so I don't know that I'll be able to use the damn thing :doh3: Not for shortening sausages anyway........:rolleyes::p

Grumpy John
18th October 2009, 07:21 AM
Not for shortening sausages anyway........:rolleyes::p

It wasn't even good at that, seemed to stall big time whenever the demonstrator tried to make a cut :doh:.

Calm
18th October 2009, 07:34 AM
It wasn't even good at that, seemed to stall big time whenever the demonstrator tried to make a cut :doh:.

:you idiot::doh::no::doh::urstupid::minigun::urstupid:

bobsreturn2003
18th October 2009, 07:35 AM
Re the hamlet 2060 gouge , no problem on white or pink wheels ,even the tormek sharpens both of mine ! as well as thompson gouges wich i found as good .and a lot cheaper to buy ,good turning .cheers Bob

jefferson
18th October 2009, 09:16 AM
GJ,

I'm tempted to bite.... Nup. You are the new tool sl*t.

Sorry I missed it. I sure would have liked a peek at a shortbed VL200. :rolleyes:

Paul39
18th October 2009, 10:30 AM
I snaffled a saw blade from Sawstop, the rotten thing had a blue and silver thing like a brake caliper fused to it so I don't know that I'll be able to use the damn thing.

Assuming a carbide tipped circular saw blade, clamp it in a vise between two pieces of wood and grab the blue and silver thing with vise grips. Gently wiggle side to side until the aluminum comes loose.

If a steel blade, put in vise as above and put a "suitable drift" * as the Brits say along side the blade and give a few gentle and not so gentle taps to knock off the offending object. Force in the opposite direction that it went on and alternate sides.

With a little luck you should have a "new" blade at the right price.

* My first car was a 1953 MG TD. In about 3/4 of the repair procedures the directions would start "take a suitable drift and medium hammer"............ You almost had to knock the pin out of something to check the oil.

tea lady
18th October 2009, 10:57 AM
Hey Grumps, can I come and play in your shed while 's away. :battingeyelids::D

tea lady
18th October 2009, 10:58 AM
GJ,

I'm tempted to bite.... Nup. You are the new tool sl*t.

Sorry I missed it. I sure would have liked a peek at a shortbed VL200. :rolleyes:

You've still got today. Doesn't close till 5.:D

Ed Reiss
18th October 2009, 11:52 AM
I usually get tossed out of the Brisie show for dribbling on things I can't afford.:D:D:q

Then they're probably thrilled to death that your on a different continent:q:D

tea lady
18th October 2009, 06:39 PM
I spent my $60. To the exact $.:D

Unhandled micro spindle gouge from Mcgings. $16 (Apparently reckons they are crap. We will see.:rolleyes: )

Sheet of fiddle back eucalypt veneer. $12 For tea pot handles.

Stick of 1" square Queen ebony. $5 for beads for my crazy knotted fishing line necklaces.

Some bits of wood out of reject box. $10.50

Polyurathane glue for laminating. :$17

Ooops. 50c over :doh:

Robomanic
18th October 2009, 06:49 PM
Iv'e been away too long. This is a VERY bad time to remember when the T&WWW show is on :s

Have fun with all your purchases guys and gals. It will be the Brissy show for me next year :)

Grumpy John
18th October 2009, 06:58 PM
Hey Grumps, can I come and play in your shed while 's away. :battingeyelids::D

Sointanly, but the power prolly won't be hooked up till Thursday at the earliest. Send me a PM.

tea lady
18th October 2009, 07:04 PM
Sointanly, but the power prolly won't be hooked up till Thursday at the earliest. Send me a PM.:D:2tsup:

tea lady
18th October 2009, 07:06 PM
Iv'e been away too long. This is a VERY bad time to remember when the T&WWW show is on :s

Have fun with all your purchases guys and gals. It will be the Brissy show for me next year :)

:oo: Brissy? :- Sigh! Warmth. :sigh:

:D

Farnk
18th October 2009, 07:08 PM
Have returned from a visit this arvo..
Been very well restrained however, only a set of shark jaws and some pin jaws for my VL100 chuck.

Just gave them a try - Strewth! What an improvement!

Drooled over the stubby, big Novas and the vicmarcs as well.
All of a sudden my $102 MC900 seems completely inadequate!

funkychicken
18th October 2009, 07:31 PM

Are you gonna live up here in Paradise or are you just visiting? Either way, drop by my place:2tsup:

AUSSIE
18th October 2009, 09:00 PM
Well I got to the show.Met Neil,Watson, Tea Lady,Calm,Groggy, and several others,Sorry guys I am shocking with names.All great people.
Went for a look around and checked a few things I am interested in
Didnt spend much on the day but got contacts for several things I will purchase in the next month or so
I know who I forgot,Stuart Lees from Stu's Shed.What a great guy.I took of when I heard that the sausage cutter was about to do its thing.Couldnt find Stu after that.You made our day Stu.Thanks
Jim Carroll's display area was huge,and he seemed to be doing very well with it also.
Nice area for forumites to have a coffee or tea and a good talk,2 nice food areas.
Well set out show,even had a shuttle bus waiting to pick us up in the car park and after the show,took us back to the car park.
3 cheers to Liz.Thankyou.:2tsup:
Aussie

fubar
19th October 2009, 07:06 PM
well I've been naughty I bought one of these torqueworkcentre.com (http://torqueworkcentre.com/)
and now I have to sell my boat cos the wife didnt take it to well even though i saved a $1000.00

Grumpy John
19th October 2009, 07:17 PM

and now I have to sell my boat cos the wife didnt take it to well

Ouch.
It must be dear though, no mention of price on the website. I tend to believe, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

bobsreturn2003
19th October 2009, 07:29 PM
Mate dont sell the boat , train the wife west australia is nice this time of year:;. i find you need to distract them . how is the question :doh:, what does she want:o. find out and life can be :;good . please dont quote me .the opinions expressed are not those of management :B. cheers Bob

Kev Y.
19th October 2009, 07:54 PM
I picked up some extra chuck jaws (3 sets) and am still waiting on the new supernova chuck to arrive. Also in the haul was another drill chuck with a morse taper, a marking knife, two woodcut bowl gouges, and a bag full of banksia nuts.

On the shopping list for next year I have added a microline dust filter, and a tormak wetstone grinder.

Checked out carba-tec and will be purchasing a new tablesaw fence, aand a couple of bandsaw blade in the next week - sorry, we didnt bring those things to the show!!!

After talking to Neil (U), wil be placing an order for some hard shellac.

Robomanic
19th October 2009, 10:07 PM
Are you gonna live up here in Paradise or are you just visiting? Either way, drop by my place:2tsup:

at the risk of a thread hijack - Yes my wife and I are moving up for the foreseeable future (you can't keep an engineer in one place too long).

Thanks for the offer, I will look you up. We will be south side of Brisbane, maybe north side GC depending on feedback from work house prices etc..

rsser
19th October 2009, 10:41 PM
Good luck with the move Shannon.

Start practising saying 'ay' at the end of each sentence.

And you'll need thongs ay.

funkychicken
19th October 2009, 10:44 PM

Shaddup Ay!

Evan Pavlidis
20th October 2009, 02:47 AM
As usual couldn't help but go over what I intended to spend.
Jim's stand was buzzing with 's Tormek and grinding demo as was Brendan Stemp with turning.
Picked up a woodcut hollowing tool with the tungsten cutter and the Tormek grinding jig BGS100 I think for using on a conventional grinder.

Thanks for the advise on grinding spindle gouges.

Managed to find a 2 inch wad punch from McJing to cut out sanding discs for only $40 as opposed to over $120 for the British Footprint brand; time will tell if it was money well spent.

Was looking out for Brads Burls but wasn't there this year and ended up buying a heap of mulga, ringed gidgee, yarran blanks and 2 huge burls which need breaking down of red coolabah and yellow box; heavy as hell trying to get them in the boot. The fella I picked them up from works out from Eltham and has heaps of desert acacias on hand. I couldn't resist not buying any of that ringed gidgee; it looked too good not to.
Mal from boutique had plenty on hand and I ended up with some Mackay cedar.

Thanks to Neil for the discount entry fee; I didn't get a chance to speak to him but was attended to by his missus.

Now all I have to do is put that tungsten hollower to good use with all that gidgee; I'm glad I bought it as sharpening and honing the HSS cutters on the Sorbys too often was beginning to be a PITA.

artme
20th October 2009, 07:45 AM
:oo: Brissy? :- Sigh! Warmth. :sigh:

:D

AH yes!! The sheer luxury of it!!!:;:;

artme
20th October 2009, 07:56 AM

Much more important to learn that in Qld. the plural of "you" is ewes.:D:D

NeilS
20th October 2009, 09:14 AM
Unhandled micro spindle gouge from Mcgings. $16 (Apparently reckons they are crap. We will see.:rolleyes: )

The one I bought from them has been OK, but wouldn't bother with anything larger than a micro gouge from them. Have heard from others that the quality of the steel is variable. You may also be lucky with yours.

tea lady
20th October 2009, 04:17 PM
The one I bought from them has been OK, but wouldn't bother with anything larger than a micro gouge from them. Have heard from others that the quality of the steel is variable. You may also be lucky with yours.

.....Lucky is my middle name.:cool::D

Frank&Earnest
20th October 2009, 05:32 PM
October 10: said to my wife that I would not mind seeing the Pompeii exhibition, but they do not come to @#$%^ old Adelaide. She says to me that would be a good excuse to take her to see Melbourne for the first time.
Wheather lousy for days.

October 15 1pm: wife says let's go tomorrow. I check on the Internet where to stay,
starting with half way stops at Horsham where we had been before. All booked out on the 16th but ok for the 15th. Said to wife: can you drop everything and go now? Sure she can.:D Always another thing to do etc. etc. we arrive in Horsham at 9pm.

October 16: arrive at the place booked sight unseen in Carlton just because it is near the Museum and I do not want to drive in Melbourne if I can avoid it. We wander off wondering whether there would be in the vicinity some decent restaurant besides the hotel's. We turn the corner and we are in Lygon Street :D.

October 17: after going to the Pompeii exhibition I see by chance on TV that the WWW is on. Had not looked into that before because "that's again in the @#$%^ East anyway". Quickly arrange for wife to go shopping by herself. She does not mind at all. :D

October 18. Jump on a taxi and arrive to the WWW. Pleased as Punch to meet again a much less bearded and to see in the flesh Groggy, DJ, Allan, a few other gentlemen and Neil.:D (It seems he still holds me a grudge for challenging a couple of the umpire decisions...:U)

Can't take with me in the taxi some of the gorgeous pieces of wood. Luckily: another piece and the shed will burst - with some unsympathetic remarks extremely likely to be expressed by my (luckily also mostly window-) shopping other half.

Still manage to grab a few Arbortech spares and a couple of fine riffles, the lot for about $1 a gram on average. They should last longer than caviar, though.

Got a wealth of info and advice, from which is the only Dremel burr sold in Australia that's any good for carving, to how to tune the Arbortech minicarver. Paradoxically, I also had a chance to talk for the first time with SA based Tim Skilton, whom I had seen on various occasions before, and got from him a very useful insight on pricing in the world of professional turning.

Also discovered that the wet grinder I bought many years ago badged Porsche is now sold as Sherwood but is exactly the same machine. I am sure it can't compete with the Tormek, naturally...:wink:

All in all, well worth the $50 spent on taxi and entry fee.

Groggy
20th October 2009, 06:56 PM
It was an unexpected pleasure to meet you Frank. Hang on, let me rephrase that. We hadn't expected you to be there and were pleased to finally meet you. :D

You must have been pretty pleased with yourself to score a bonus woodwork show out of the trip. During the show I met woodworkers from West Oz, Tasmania, Sydney, Adelaide, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier and a host of Victorian towns. "Have hobby, will travel" seems to be the Woody's motto.

KevM
20th October 2009, 08:32 PM
During the show I met woodworkers from Sydney, Adelaide, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier and a host of Victorian towns. "Have hobby, will travel" seems to be the Woody's motto.

I think you may have missed a few then :U

Hint.....cast you mind back to the stand on Friday.

Groggy
20th October 2009, 08:34 PM
I was ignoring Felder filchers from Tasmania :D

Sorry, there were two Taswegians too. :cool:

KevM
20th October 2009, 08:38 PM
I've got a crate sitting in the car port now too!

You need to cast your mind back to Friday, you've still missed another state, perhaps I should apologise to John on Friday for you.

Groggy
20th October 2009, 08:41 PM
...During the show I met woodworkers from West Oz, Tasmania, Sydney, Adelaide, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier and a host of Victorian towns. "Have hobby, will travel" seems to be the Woody's motto...:whistling:

Crikey, sorry John :doh: :;

Groggy
20th October 2009, 08:42 PM
I've got a crate sitting in the car port now too!Then what are you doing here Kev? :?

KevM
20th October 2009, 08:48 PM
Then what are you doing here Kev? :?

I'm seeing how long I can resist the urge. I hope to attack it this weekend.

KevM
20th October 2009, 08:50 PM
I was ignoring Felder filchers from Tasmania :D

I see you are still a tad bitter then!

Waldo
20th October 2009, 09:08 PM
During the show I met woodworkers from West Oz, Tasmania, Sydney, Adelaide, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier and a host of Victorian towns. "Have hobby, will travel" seems to be the Woody's motto.

And two beaut blokes from Kilsyth. :2tsup: Apologies for not saying by to you John, was good to meet you.

Groggy
20th October 2009, 09:09 PM
I see you are still a tad bitter then!:q

Not at all.

:kickcan:
:D:wink:

GC
21st October 2009, 09:00 PM
ended up buying a heap of mulga, ringed gidgee, yarran blanks and 2 huge burls which need breaking down of red coolabah and yellow box; heavy as hell trying to get them in the boot. The fella I picked them up from works out from Eltham and has heaps of desert acacias on hand. I couldn't resist not buying any of that ringed gidgee; it looked too good not to.

That guy was realy good, i got heaps of pen blanks. Gidgee, other outback timbers and some ancient redgum. :D

GC

jefferson
21st October 2009, 09:07 PM
Off topic I know, but what is "ancient" redgum or kanooka?

I understand the redgum is dragged out of the rivers (and has "bled" all of its red colour and has turned black). Also, that A. kanooka is buried in wet ground......

My local supplier has some ancient r/g but wants $ for it.

John Saxton
29th October 2009, 10:17 PM
I've got a crate sitting in the car port now too!

You need to cast your mind back to Friday, you've still missed another state, perhaps I should apologise to John on Friday for you.

Would have been mine Kev had SWMBO stopped ditherin' 'bout all this movin' stuff to different climes.

Chance was if'n we was al a ready moved then it may have been your loss but alas twas mine O woe is me but I'm glad it's gone to a good home.
It was real great to meet you & Rod at the WW show and also to touch base briefly with you on the following Friday,all the best with your w'working.

Stayed with my BIL in Electrona ,knows of you :wink: and if I could have got some of that Native Cherry home i would of only the weight of it nearly ripped me arms off:D

Cheers:)

KevM
30th October 2009, 05:11 PM
Stayed with my BIL in Electrona ,knows of you :wink: and if I could have got some of that Native Cherry home i would of only the weight of it nearly ripped me arms off:D

Cheers:)

Where did you leave the native cherry, I'll pick it up and look after it for you. :U